Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had ibs-c until about 16 years ago, when my symptoms switched to ibs-d. I suspect that ibs-c was exacerbated by the Tricyclic antidepressants I took for several years. In order to cope with that, I tried an Indian Ayurvdic herbal mixture called Triphala. It worked well to combat the constipation, but I did not realize that taking it long term could damage the colon as laxative do. I suspect that is what happened. Since I the ibs became the d variety, I have tried many things without much luck. I did the FODMAP elimination diet, and found that fructan containing food are not my friends. Nothing else, not dairy, not fruits, not beans even, gave me such problems. However even if I totally abstained form Fructans (Wheat, Rye, Onions, Garlic, etc) I still had some symptoms. Anything I ate gave me either gas, or cramping, or hypermotility. So I basically gave up giving up my favorite foods. Now I have a moderate but usually tolerable level of discomfort all the time (not much different than when I totally gave up onions etc). Now and then I have a bad episode. I have tried self hypnotherapy with recordings. Enteric Peppermint oil. Iberogast (now discontinued but helpful with some symptoms.) Immodium, even in crumblike doses leads to severely uncomfortable constipation. I am trying the Calcium carbonate approach (3 days in, too early to tell) and next I will try Silicolgel. Doctor wants me to try Nortriptyline. Which is probably how I got into this mess.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had ibs-c until about 16 years ago, when my symptoms switched to ibs-d. I suspect that ibs-c was exacerbated by the Tricyclic antidepressants I took for several years. In order to cope with that, I tried an Indian Ayurvdic herbal mixture called Triphala. It worked well to combat the constipation, but I did not realize that taking it long term could damage the colon as laxative do. I suspect that is what happened. Since I the ibs became the d variety, I have tried many things without much luck. I did the FODMAP elimination diet, and found that fructan containing food are not my friends. Nothing else, not dairy, not fruits, not beans even, gave me such problems. However even if I totally abstained form Fructans (Wheat, Rye, Onions, Garlic, etc) I still had some symptoms. Anything I ate gave me either gas, or cramping, or hypermotility. So I basically gave up giving up my favorite foods. Now I have a moderate but usually tolerable level of discomfort all the time (not much different than when I totally gave up onions etc). Now and then I have a bad episode. I have tried self hypnotherapy with recordings. Enteric Peppermint oil. Iberogast (now discontinued but helpful with some symptoms.) Immodium, even in crumblike doses leads to severely uncomfortable constipation. I am trying the Calcium carbonate approach (3 days in, too early to tell) and next I will try Silicolgel. Doctor wants me to try Nortriptyline. Which is probably how I got into this mess.
My two cents : I would advice anybody who does not need antidepressants specifically for mental health issues , to stay away from them .If one needs them for one'smental health, then one has no choice but to take them (such is the case with me ,I'm on an SSRI(Prozac) for anxiety)

Antidepressants/SSRI/TCA do not help with IBS-D . I was put on Elavil(TCA class of antidepressant) specifically for IBS-D and it provided partial relief .Its just not worth the constipation it causes as a side effect . I decided to stop the Elavil and have decided to stay away from any psychotropic medication specifically prescribed for IBS because it doesn't help much , just not worth it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts