Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi all,I just wanted to jot down my normal pattern, pain & bm's and also try to show on this picture where I feel the pain;
Right, I will go for my 'normal' day which is a working day. Typically I will be up at 6;20 ish, have some toast and leave for work, get to work about 7;45 ish, by say 8 I am usually on the toilet, then by 10 I will have normally have gone again. BM's will be soft, sometimes formed/slightly formed or bitty, on occasions they are loose. I will then have another bm around lunch/mid afternoon and sometimes is the evening, these are typically less in volume and tend to be a bit more formed than the 1st 2 of the day. Now where I feel my pain is on the left side of my abdomen, on the pic it would be in the left hydro region and left lumbar region as shown. The pain is normally right on my side/flank and can go into my back. It can also be felt more on the front. Its a achey, twingy, prickly, burny type pain... Bit of everything! I sometimes feel it being a bit gurgly around that area. The pain can be for a short period of the day (a few hours) or can be on and off all day, or I can have days where I dont really notice it. I did have a few days a couple of weeks ago of all over churning/hunger pains in my tummy but the left sided pain feels different to that and is more common. I can sometimes also get some pain under my belly button if I am having D or tummy is upset.So just wondered if there is anyone who is in a similar situation or if this all sounds 'normal'..Thanks all..

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sounds like IBS to me.If you a had watery diarrhea mostly during sleep that would not be very IBSy (that is usually a microscopic colitis pattern) but pretty much any during the day when the colon is more active is seen in IBS.Often mornings and after meals are times people are more likely to have a BM or IBS symptoms as the colon is even more active then.All pain descriptions are typical of IBS, just depends on how you feel them, and all parts of the abdomen have colon in them so all areas can be seen in IBS.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I get pain behind my belly button n get bloating below and ache at the sides sometimes goes to my back.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Kathleen/PeaLea,Do you know what actually causes the pain? Is it like your bowel being sensitive to waste passing through, or can it just be hurting with no real reason! Just trying to understand it all a bit more.Anyone else have these issues?Ta

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
One thought is that there is a threshold of sensation. Basically anything below should be ignored and not reported to the brain, anything above that is sent to the parts of the brain that process pain.It seems in some people that threshold may be set too low so it is like the volume is turned up too high. So even normal sensations that should be ignored are being reported to the brain, but the only thing the brain knows to do with those is feel it as pain.Some things like mind-body therapies and low dose antidepressants can reset the threshold so you don't feel the normal sensations you should not be.Now thinks like increased gas volume (even if all in the normal range) or times when the colon is more active (morning and after meals) both would up the amount of sensations but that should be under the threshold. Some people find things like tight clothes, holding in the gut (like if you lift something heavy) or anything that bounces the intestines also is something that usually isn't felt, but now causes pain.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Ippo I can get pain at any time.... no rhyme or reason necessary... Just the way it is for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.