Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I'm new here. I was diagnosed with IBS back in 4th grade (I'm 21 now). I haven't been able to narrow down my experience with IBS to anything food related but I can tell you it's all psychosomatic<sp?> with me. My problem is I get panic attacks that there might not be a bathroom available where I'm going (i.e. Bus trips, in a classroom), or the bathroom is so skeezy that I won't even use it (i.e. in a club, or some other public place). But as soon as the thought enters my mind if I know I have to go somewhere where there might not be a bathroom it starts a whole chain reaction. My abdomen starts painfully burning and I have the intense urge to use the bathroom.I've found that if I can distract my mind from the process of thinking about IBS for long enough, and I mean TRULY, distract myself, not just whistle and pretend it isn't there, I can stop the urge to go to the bathroom. It'll still be there, in a dull painless way though. Like, the next opportunity I have to use a bathroom, I'll use one. And I keep telling myself: "You've never messed yourself or anything like that. You'll be fine." Which is true...I've never had any kind of accident, but the pain is incredible.They put me on meds when I was younger but I had a crappy doctor who obviously new nothing about IBS because he prescribed me Prilosec and stuff like that. I also used to be an Immodium junkie, but I took it so much because my IBS was so bad in high school (the bathrooms were atrocious) that I became immune to it and it stopped constipating me after awhile.Somehow my IBS managed to dissappear for quiet awhile but has since resurfaced recently. I'm just looking for some people with similar experience who could maybe guide me toward some kind of relief from my IBS.Thanks all.jeremy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Jeremy, I feel your pain totally, but im not fortunate enough to be able to distrat myself away from it, i cant even go to the bathroom in public places. My gasto doc sucks, shes not listning to me. I just dont think they see this as debilitating as we do, i mean my social life is shot ya know. Your pretty close to me im on Long Island, but def, I know what your goin through, Ive heard of a med called Questran, its for Ibs-d supposovly it works really good, but its for people who had their gallbladders out, but i hear it works even for people that dont have it out. Anyways, its nice to see a guy go through this, I thought it was just us chicks, no guy ever understood why I couldnt go out, or this and that, Maybe you do. Try doin some research on questran, stay in touch lemme know how it goes <3

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.