Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had IBS for about 20 years and it was bad at first, at least, the anxiety associated with it made it really bad. I was young and most doctors didn't know much about it. Then, a lot of that seemed to go away and I was able to manage everything pretty well. I always had IBS-C tendencies and would have D now and then, but b/c it was so sporatic - months apart - it didn't bother me too much, although, the problem was always in the back of my head. The past 6 months or so have been hard. My anxiety is back and IBS-D is more prevalent. I'm working with my GI on this and am going to be evaluated at an anxiety clinic at a local university so that I can start CBT and I'm looking forward to it, actually. I'd really like to get to the core root of the problem, but it looks like that will take some time. It's all such a vicious cycle. My GI wants me to take Metamucil, which I tried, but it's so very hard to find the right dosage. I'm going back on it tomorrow and all I can be is hopeful. What really ticks me off is what IBS and anxiety can do to a person. I mean, my routine (lately) goes something like this: IBS-C for 2-3 days, followed by one or two episodes of D in the same day. C doesn't bother me except for the bloating that sometimes goes along with it. It's the D that gets to me, like most others. But what is so irritating is that the whole D episode may last a total of 20 minutes (including cramping beforehand), but I will obsess about it after it happens (wondering what I could have done differently to prevent it and such) and it can ruin my day. Just like I can obsess over the fact that it MAY happen, like I did last night at a friend's birthday party. It's torture and I can't wait to start therapy! Whew. I just had to get that out. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi, this is my first time on here, im from england so not too sure what the medication you're beginning on is but i hope it helps. i have only found out in the last 6 months i have ibs and mostly have D though iv had bloating and gassy feeling for years. i just wanted to say i can completely sympathise with how you feel anxiety wise, it makes it so much worse and gets you down. i find the more i think about it the worse it is, especially while im out. Its not a good feeling always looking for the nearest loo or thinking am i going to embaress myself here?! although it probably doesn't help its made me feel better knowing im not the only one feeling like this. i hope your therapy helps and that you feel better soon xxx

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your kind words. Feeling better today, probably b/c the sun has come back after many days of rain and gloominess. My mood is better and so that is helping in the stomach department a bit, too. Hoping you're feeling well today. We are not alone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.