Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Jeff and this is a little bit of info about my story with I.B.S. Diarrhea. In searching for answers I scanned all over the internet out of pure desperation. I started getting the symptoms of I.B.S. with Diarrhea about 3 years ago. At the time I was taking public transportation and you can guess every day was another day of FEAR am I gonna crap my pants on the train or walking on the sidewalk. I carried toilet paper with me because there were times when I had to run into the woods by the road and explode with diarrhea. Sometimes I would have to pray really hard while running to the nearest bathroom. All my life I have never had this problem and now it is CONSUMING ME. I went and had a colonoscopy and everything came back clear. So next was diet. During this time I am doing whatever I can do to live and work with this. I am carrying around liquid immodium, anti diarrhea pills, metamucil wafers to bulk up my stool. So first I quit coffee completely no sodas no tea. Then dairy no cheese at all no yogurt. Then gluten no breads no wheat. So I,m eating baked potatoes, beef jerky, bananas, apples, fish, gluten free hot dogs, and rice, and juice. Taking peppermint oil and 2 Immodium pills everyday sometimes adding half a bottle of liquid Immodium. I was able able to bulk up my stools but still had to use the bathroom many times each day and usually early morning and early evening like clockwork. By now EVERY thing I do revolves around knowing where the bathroom is and does it have more than 1 stall. I have been to two different Gastro doctors and had blood and stool tests for parasites and diseases. All clear. Then my last visit my doctor prescribed for me Nitriptolyne it is an anti depressant. He mentioned to me about the levels of Serotonin and possible effects on the gut. So its been almost 3 weeks and I have had a couple bad days but the difference is like 98%. I am so happy that there may be an answer for this. I owe it to share my experience because everyone helped me as best they could so here is my story and maybe this will help you to.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yeah the serotonin connection is very real and very serious. The anti-depressant industry has somehow managed to kill every attempt at developing a gut-specific serotonin drug. Just check out the story of Zelnorm and the other drugs that have attempted to take its place. Thank you for your story, it's helpful to know what doctors say will help. It sounds like your gastro has your best interest at heart.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you so much for this information. I just went and took 100 mgs of 5-HTP and praying somehow it helps. I have never had IBS and I am not sure this is what I have, but I have been sick for the past 5 weeks with chronic diarrhea. I am a 40 year old female. I'm new to all of this. I have lost 7 pounds over the past 5 weeks. I'm fasting for a couple days and taking probiotics to give my gut a rest and see if it somehow will help. Thank you again for your information as I do have extremely low serotonin levels.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.