Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,My stomach is my alarm clock every morning! I wake up and the noises are unbelievable! So much gurgling and rumbling...it's as if I need draino or something. Anyone else have symptoms like this?Also, is it possible to have colon spasms without pain?I went to GNC yesterday and bought Kyo-Dophilus which has the acidophilus in it, it is milk-free and heat resistant, 1.5 billion live cells per capsule. Supposed to promote healthy intestional function. Anyone else use this? I started taking 2 yesterday with meals. What is the success rate with this stuff?Thank you for listening and your feedback is helpful.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
There has only been one study with data on probiotics and for most IBSers in the study the number of days of abundant gas production was significantly reduced.They recently did a study measuring colonic activity in normal people 24 hours a day. At the time they woke up the colon is 3X more active than when asleep and this was the most active part of the day. The next most active times were after meals.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html [This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 07-02-2001).]

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
There has only been one study with data on probiotics and for most IBSers in the study the number of days of abundant gas production was significantly reduced.They recently did a study measuring colonic activity in normal people 24 hours a day. At the time they woke up the colon is 3X more active than when asleep and this was the most active part of the day. The next most active times were after meals.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html [This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 07-02-2001).]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did the GNC pills help?I also wake up every morning to my stomach as an alarm clock. I keep wondering if it churns like that all night long.After every meal and first thing in the mornings are the worst. I can feel my insides jerking and spasming, and can usually hear it pretty well too. It's very embarrassing and often causes discomfort. A lot of times it isn't extremely painful, but it tends to leave me with a dull ache for the rest of the day. Argh. I'm getting so tired of this...Any suggestions? I don't have symptoms of diahrrea or constipation. Just noises and discomfort on my lower right side. I've taken a few spasm medications offered by my Gastroenterologist, but the benefits of taking the pills are outweighed by the side effects of dry mouth, sleepiness, etc. So, I don't take them regularly. Should I?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did the GNC pills help?I also wake up every morning to my stomach as an alarm clock. I keep wondering if it churns like that all night long.After every meal and first thing in the mornings are the worst. I can feel my insides jerking and spasming, and can usually hear it pretty well too. It's very embarrassing and often causes discomfort. A lot of times it isn't extremely painful, but it tends to leave me with a dull ache for the rest of the day. Argh. I'm getting so tired of this...Any suggestions? I don't have symptoms of diahrrea or constipation. Just noises and discomfort on my lower right side. I've taken a few spasm medications offered by my Gastroenterologist, but the benefits of taking the pills are outweighed by the side effects of dry mouth, sleepiness, etc. So, I don't take them regularly. Should I?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi!It used to be that the need to poo woke me with excruciating cramps. Then it became the rumbling & gurgling that woke me along w/ cramps. This would happen at any time during the night, once or twice, or more... recently (and this is subject to change I'm sure) I wake now to pee and that's it. I come back to bed, just start to fall asleep & gurgle gurgle - I cramp & have to poo too.Last night when this happened & I woke to pee, I just sat there until I had to poo; I knew it was coming, why bother going back to bed? *sigh*So nope, you're not the only one. I can't sleep past 5:30 am because that's the time I have to get up on weekdays and it seems my colon knows this now too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi!It used to be that the need to poo woke me with excruciating cramps. Then it became the rumbling & gurgling that woke me along w/ cramps. This would happen at any time during the night, once or twice, or more... recently (and this is subject to change I'm sure) I wake now to pee and that's it. I come back to bed, just start to fall asleep & gurgle gurgle - I cramp & have to poo too.Last night when this happened & I woke to pee, I just sat there until I had to poo; I knew it was coming, why bother going back to bed? *sigh*So nope, you're not the only one. I can't sleep past 5:30 am because that's the time I have to get up on weekdays and it seems my colon knows this now too.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Same thing here. As soon as I open my eyes, I hear the noise and rush to the bathroom. After that, it's a dull to severe pelvic pain until I go to bed. Unlike some of you folks, nothing wakes me up at night (I consider myself lucky on that one...).

·
Registered
517 Posts
Same thing here. As soon as I open my eyes, I hear the noise and rush to the bathroom. After that, it's a dull to severe pelvic pain until I go to bed. Unlike some of you folks, nothing wakes me up at night (I consider myself lucky on that one...).

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I've been taking milk of magnesia every night before bed for the past 4 years, and it normally serves as my alarm clock. There are days it doesn't work as well though. I take it around 9 or 9:30 at night, and usually go at 5:30 or 6:00 AM. (The more soluble fiber I ate the previous day, the slower the onset of action.)There are days (especially when I have had a large amount of plain pasta) that I have been so distended with gas that I wake up at 2:00 AM (after ironically dreaming about the gas pains I have). The distention is so immense, that there is pain and discomfort like it's going to burst out my belly button if I don't get to a commode. Then, there is a huge, loud long expulsion (mainly gas with some liquid) so violent that I get a burning sensation down there like a dragon letting out fire.My gas always does this. It never comes out unless there is a large "lump" all in one spot. I can only expel it about 1-3 times a day if I'm lucky.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I've been taking milk of magnesia every night before bed for the past 4 years, and it normally serves as my alarm clock. There are days it doesn't work as well though. I take it around 9 or 9:30 at night, and usually go at 5:30 or 6:00 AM. (The more soluble fiber I ate the previous day, the slower the onset of action.)There are days (especially when I have had a large amount of plain pasta) that I have been so distended with gas that I wake up at 2:00 AM (after ironically dreaming about the gas pains I have). The distention is so immense, that there is pain and discomfort like it's going to burst out my belly button if I don't get to a commode. Then, there is a huge, loud long expulsion (mainly gas with some liquid) so violent that I get a burning sensation down there like a dragon letting out fire.My gas always does this. It never comes out unless there is a large "lump" all in one spot. I can only expel it about 1-3 times a day if I'm lucky.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.