Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - here is my story. I have had IBS (i guess) since at least 9 - I am 22 now. I can probably say that it is at least 60% psychological. I don't usually have D unless it is a high stress situation or irritating foods - but I do have to "go to the bathroom" a lot - mainly when it would be inconvenient. For example I can sit in my office all day just like anyone else - but then they will announce a surprise meeting or something and within 2 minutes I am sweating and dying to go to the bathroom. Is this along the lines of what most others experience? Going out to eat on a date or along those lines is a true test of will power and never stress free. I was prescribed Levsin - which if I don't drink alcohol or eat much seems to help a lot - though I haven't even got the prescription refilled because I am not dating anyone at the time, and I have my job situation pretty much under control. I find when I go out on the town or whatever it helps a lot to pop Immodium, though I think it is more of a placebo affect than anything else. Does anyone know the long term effects of Immodium (loperamide)? Also if anyone is interested Wal-Mart sells Equate brand anti-D and it is the same as Immodium, but half the price. Well any comments would be appreciated - thanks... - D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've used Immodium A/D before ... and I prefer to stay away from it. I end up with C after taking it.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
naked stalker - okay, fresh start here...Welcome to the board. If "D" is your problem, I would recommend the Caltrate Plus so many have had such success with it. I find that eating is my only trigger, doesn't matter if I am stressed or not, that doesn't seem to cause the "D" for me. And I've had wonderful results with the Caltrate. No more "D" for me... I'm sure the Caltrate would be worth a try for you - at least its natural, not a drug... let us know if you decide to try it. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Yep, your experiences sound similar to most IBS-D people. I also took Levsin when I was D and it helped tremendously. If you're not too fond of the thought of taking prescriptions meds of the rest of your life, I would try the Caltrate Plus like Anxious mentioned (specifically in the purple and white box). I've never taken Immodium, so I don't know much about it.Ty[This message has been edited by Ty (edited 06-30-99).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I'm with anxious Caltrate plus is what u should try 1st. I'm not a D type most of the time so I don't have experence with it, but alot of people have had great sucsess with it. If it helps I am sure that it would be better than immodium because Caltrat (I think) is all natural. And its good 4 your body too. Good luck and well if u aren't the freak we thought u were stay with this board. Its is also good 4 nerves to telll people your problems and know that there are people out there who care.Good luck

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have the same kind of problem. I can be just fine until someone says "Let's go out for dinner" or "Let's go for a walk" or something along those lines. Then my gut just ties up in knots. I find Immodium to be very helpful.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Naked Stalker,Well, I am 23, so I know what it feels like to be going through what you are going through at our age. It is a rough time, although I have only had IBS for about 3 years. I just wanted to tell you that generally "generic" brands, like a Wal-Mart brand of Imodium, are often made by the exact same manufacturer that makes the brand stuff. They just sell it for less b/c it's not brand name. That isn't always the case, but the generic has the same main ingredient and should work just as well. The main side effect you might see from the Imodium is constipation, which makes sense! Good luck

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yes, naked. I suffer from the exact same thing. I am taking the calcium which has helped a lot with the D but still have the urge to go when something high stress comes along - like meetings, or having to ride along with someone else in their car where I am not in control, or when anyone suggests we go anywhere. I have been reading a lot of books on panic attacks to try and get a handle on this and have also tried changing my breathing habits. Try taking deeper breaths when you are feeling like this. The reason so many IBS'ers get panicky when they get in these situations is because they know they may not have the freedom to go to the bathroom if needed which just makes us nervous which in turn causes us to have the need to go!!! Its a viscious cycle and we are our own worst enemies.I have never tried Levsin - but have had good success with Xanax. I take 1/2 tablet 1/2 hour before its time to go and it relaxes me.Anyway, welcome to the board and hope you will find some good help here.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Naked_stalkerI'm with Anxious, much better start with this thread.Anyway, welcome to the board and I am sure you will find a lot of helpful information here to get you through you IBS bouts.I myself do not suffer that much from D or C but mainly G (gas) and bloating. So my problem is what do I do with the gas - FART MY BRAINS OUT!! what else can you do??Again, welcome to the board.Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Marka,When I read your post, I almost DIED laughing! "Fart my brains out!" That is how I feel sometimes! I rarely have C, sometimes D, but I always have gas. What do you do? I spend a lot of time wishing that "passing gas" was socially acceptable! Wouldn't that make everything easier??

·
Registered
728 Posts
Hey guys who want to fart....Too bad we aren't still in the horse and buggy days. Ever spent much time on a horse? They don't call it the "trots" for nothing! LOL!I love it on a trail ride...the horses go trotting down the trail, farting away. Nobody notices that its really me!!!!
Sorry, I'm in a silly mood today, and I just had to get this in (out?)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I take a lot of Imodium also. I used to take about 5 till the D stopped. Then I would be C for a few days. and then the cycle would start again. My Dr suggested taking it instead on a regular basis throughout the day. I have tried that and it does not work for me. Now I have D every day.. Watch for Lactose sometimes in the generic versions of Imodium!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LeftyThat was a great post about the horses. I've always loved horses, lets try and bring them back, shall we? So we can just ride around on them all day and pass all the gas we want and no one would notice!
Naked-stalker, are you still around?
Or are you just "stalking" everyone now?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.