Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I started my first real job 3 years ago and as of 2 or so yrs ago I started having diarrhea like once every other day, but it was a hard stool and I literally sat in the bathroom for at least an hour at a time. At this time I've only been known to taking 1 medicine and that was Paxil for anxiety. Ok so, I went to my primary dr. and he changed the paxil to effexor to see if the meds were the problem but still no change. He then wrote me a referral to a gastro dr. who did a colonoscopy and determined right away that it was a mild case of colitis. So, I left it a lone for a while and finally decided to go to a new dr. and he received the pathology report from the old dr. and determined that it was not colitis but IBS. He recommended I take a new medicine for anxiety, a 3rd diff one, this one called zoloft. It didnt really help to change the diarrhea. Reading up on IBS I then started taking fiber pills, like 2 to 3 times a day and now, I dont know if its from the pills or not, but, now the diarrhea is a lot more watery compared to the hard stools. As of right now I only take zoloft at night and 2-3 fiber pills per day and have diarrhea all the time.Can someone please recommend something, anything please! I also looked into peppermint oil that says its good for IBS but does anyone think it'll help.. thankshttp://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/natural-essential-oils/health-benefits-of-peppermint-oil.html

·
Registered
253 Posts
Blk: Not sure about your explanation as you say you have diarrhea AND it is a HARD STOOL. That is not diarrhea. Have you had an upper and lower GI with a stool analysis and biopsies? I keep saying this lately, but IBS is a "rule out" diagnosis. Diarrhea by its very definition is watery loose stools that occur one to several times daily. , , nothing hard about it except maybe holding it in long enough to get to a bathroom. How many times a day is this "hard movement"? Is it urgency and pain you have with cramping? Have you had enough testing to be certain it is IBS? Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blk: Not sure about your explanation as you say you have diarrhea AND it is a HARD STOOL. That is not diarrhea. Have you had an upper and lower GI with a stool analysis and biopsies? I keep saying this lately, but IBS is a "rule out" diagnosis. Diarrhea by its very definition is watery loose stools that occur one to several times daily. , , nothing hard about it except maybe holding it in long enough to get to a bathroom. How many times a day is this "hard movement"? Is it urgency and pain you have with cramping? Have you had enough testing to be certain it is IBS? Thanks.
I have had a colonoscopy and and endoscopy? (in throat)..the hard movement was once every 2 days but it lasted an hour and was painful even afterwards for an hour or so. Ruined the whole day..I do drive for a living so I do have to hold it in all the time weather it be for 20 mins or hours! The hard movements have stopped tho and now its just the normal diarrhea..Yes I have been cramping lately. As far as my gastro doctor says yes Ive had enough and he says its ibs and not colitis.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ok, I am not a doctor at all. Paxil, Effexor, Zoloft will CAUSE constipation and/or diarrhea or irregular stools. Do you really need it? Can they switch you to Valium - much safer on the GI tract and ONLY controls anxiety but not sure about the driving. I take that before bedtime. Are you still doing the fiber? I am confused about your post. One doc thinks you have colitis and an another says no? I think you need to drink more water and add fiber without FOS to your diet. Many fiber caps just add to gas and discomfort or diarrhea. I have failed many, many fiber treatments. Try an organic fiber bar every morning and drink 6 glasses of clear water daily, no pop or sport drinks. You may also want to add a fish oil, omega oil or other oil supplement to make your bowel lining smoother. I can relate to the fear of driving all the time. I drive for a living too. I am finally regular but NOT taking any antidepressant anymore. To me it really sounds like you either have a real problem or the antidepressants are making you worse instead of better. You lack water and organic fiber (not the garbage from the supermarket). If you really do have a problem with a section of your bowel, that needs to be addressed before you are going to feel better. JMOI guess, I am not sure what is going on. It could be IBS-A. Have you read all the stuff here and tried the calcium and D? Lysine? Probotics? Elimination diets?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I am not a doctor at all. Paxil, Effexor, Zoloft will CAUSE constipation and/or diarrhea or irregular stools. Do you really need it? Can they switch you to Valium - much safer on the GI tract and ONLY controls anxiety but not sure about the driving. I take that before bedtime. Are you still doing the fiber? I am confused about your post. One doc thinks you have colitis and an another says no? I think you need to drink more water and add fiber without FOS to your diet. Many fiber caps just add to gas and discomfort or diarrhea. I have failed many, many fiber treatments. Try an organic fiber bar every morning and drink 6 glasses of clear water daily, no pop or sport drinks. You may also want to add a fish oil, omega oil or other oil supplement to make your bowel lining smoother. I can relate to the fear of driving all the time. I drive for a living too. I am finally regular but NOT taking any antidepressant anymore. To me it really sounds like you either have a real problem or the antidepressants are making you worse instead of better. You lack water and organic fiber (not the garbage from the supermarket). If you really do have a problem with a section of your bowel, that needs to be addressed before you are going to feel better. JMOI guess, I am not sure what is going on. It could be IBS-A. Have you read all the stuff here and tried the calcium and D? Lysine? Probotics? Elimination diets?
I am still taking fiber. What is FOS? Yes, the first dr thought it was colitis before looking at the pathology and i never went back to him so...the second dr said its IBS.. Can I drink flavored water from aquafina or gatorade propel? I just bought an IBS probotic and some peppermint oil that Im gonna start using.Do you know how to use the peppermint oil? theres no directions or anything

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok, I'm gonna keep a diary here of everything I eat/drink .. Since I'm starting this on Sunday and woke up in the bathroom for 30 mins I'm gonna have to wing what I ate on Saturday..Sat 0724------------A fiber bar2 tastykake cupcakesfrozen meatballslinguine2 corn on the cob4 glasses of waterpeppermint oil - few timesIBS probioticfiber pill----------------Sun 0725------------woke up in bathroom for 30 mins...2 tastykake cupcakespotato chips2 hot dogs w/ rollsfiber barsmall platter of leftovers, mini meatballs and linguinefiberplus cereal out of the box, no milkmultiple glasses of waterpeppermint oil - few timesIBS probioticjust had a quick loose stool that seemed to have every corn I ate from the 2 corn on the cob I ate last night, ehh X2-----------------Mon 0726-----------woke up to very small stool2 fiber bars7 11 - cheeseburger bite & 2 taquito's hungryman fried chicken tv dinner w/ corn, mashed potatoes & browniewater2 vitamin water'sIBS probiotictook nap @ 6pm ish woke up with stomach hurting and had big loose stool-----------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.