Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this group and have been reading the very informative posts all afternoon.Even tho,from sitting here for so long,I am hurting in my left side..This started in July 1998.I started hurting in my left upper side under my rib cage.I seemed to have a little swelled area underneath.The pain extended around my side and in my back..All on the left side.I had a burning sensation in that area also and felt very sick.I was diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis,after a couple of weeks of repeated bloodwork..When my pancreatic enzymes returned to normal,I still had the pain and burning sensation. I was then put through a series of tests.When the ERCP was peformed ,I was told that I had a congenital pancreatic duct defect that would require surgery.(I thought,I am nearly 40,why did it take so long to show up?)After a MRI,the drs ruled that out.I was put through a colonoscopy,upper GI.You name it,they did it.I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia,GERD and duodenal spasms.and a final diagnosis of IBS.I was severly depressed and unable to work.I started suffering from depression.I finally decided that whatever this was wasnt goingt o get the best of me and I started walking a little each day.I prayed as I walked and eventually got better mentally.And wsa able to go back to work.I still suffer with the pain at times and bloating.Before this started ,I would not have a bowel movement but every few days.For the past 6 years,it is every morning,first thing ,sometimes 2 or 3 times before I am through.I am lucky that it doesnt last throughout the day.I dont have the cramping.Only the upper abdominal pain and bloating.Burning sensation down my left side..I have recently had a bad episode of bloating and pain and returned to my dr for bloodwork but everything was normal.Been under a lot of stress a lot lately so that might be the reason..Xanax helps with the anxiety.Just wanted to share my story..I am glad i found this group...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I want to add that my pancreatitis was diagnosed as idiopathic.After reading through some of the posts,I wonder if IBS is what I have.Or if it is,could the pancreatitis have left me with scar tissue?I dont eat when I am at work (or eat very little)because of the bloating and pain in my upper abdomen.I dont worry about running to the bathroom.I cant stand the burning pain it causes when I eat.I usually wait til after I get home to eat my biggest meal of the day.I never have bowel movements after the morning episodes.I dont have the cramps and never have constipation.Morning episodes are rarely loose..The biggest change I noticed in bowel movement was that it was smaller in diameter not a change in consistency..Dr. said that from tests,that the barium moved rather fast through my intestines.So maybe when I eat,my intestines go into spasms.Is it just your colon that IBS is associated with?I know that IBS can cause numerous symptoms.But do you ever wonder if maybe there is another cause that the drs just cant diagnose?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to add that my pancreatitis was diagnosed as idiopathic.After reading through some of the posts,I wonder if IBS is what I have.Or if it is,could the pancreatitis have left me with scar tissue?I dont eat when I am at work (or eat very little)because of the bloating and pain in my upper abdomen.I dont worry about running to the bathroom.I cant stand the burning pain it causes when I eat.I usually wait til after I get home to eat my biggest meal of the day.I never have bowel movements after the morning episodes.I dont have the cramps and never have constipation.Morning episodes are rarely loose..The biggest change I noticed in bowel movement was that it was smaller in diameter not a change in consistency..Dr. said that from tests,that the barium moved rather fast through my intestines.So maybe when I eat,my intestines go into spasms.Is it just your colon that IBS is associated with?I know that IBS can cause numerous symptoms.But do you ever wonder if maybe there is another cause that the drs just cant diagnose?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.