Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm a 20 year old male from Illinois.I had mono in early september of last year and have had problems with my stomach ever since. I was in the ER at least 6 times for the worst pain I have ever experienced in my entire life. I was finally diagnosed with IBS then. I still have problems to this day with it.
My main problem is with the pain in the dead center of my stomach. It's about 6-8 inches above my bellybutton. Right in the breadbasket. I've been told by my doctor that my stomach acids are in full effect and need to be slowed down. He gave me a two week supply of Nexium for me. It's had a positive effect in that area most of the time, but a couple times, I've had this terrible pain there still. If there any other ways to slow down my stomach acids?
Also, is there any diet regimen I should associate myself with? Will exercise do alot for my stomach problems? I've been trying to get out and walk frequently and it seems to be helping.Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi marky......welcome.....I'm sorry you have to be here, but you will find lots of great information.....Sorry I don't know much about stomach acid problems, but I know someone will see your post who has the same problem.....Is the doctor planning on running anymore tests? Do you have problems with D or C? It's so hard to have a normal life when you are in constant pain and especially being so young....Keep bumping up your thread and I assure you someone with the prob will see your post and offer valuable advice!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi marky......welcome.....I'm sorry you have to be here, but you will find lots of great information.....Sorry I don't know much about stomach acid problems, but I know someone will see your post who has the same problem.....Is the doctor planning on running anymore tests? Do you have problems with D or C? It's so hard to have a normal life when you are in constant pain and especially being so young....Keep bumping up your thread and I assure you someone with the prob will see your post and offer valuable advice!!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hi Marky,Your symptoms sound a lot like mine. Mine started immediately after gall bladder surgery a few years ago. I'm sorry to say that I don't have a permanent remedy for it. Mine actually feels like I'm having a heart attack. To help stop the pain I drink water immediately when I feel it coming on. Then, if that fails to work, I take liquid pepto bismol. That normally will stop it. I am getting ready to have an esophageal manometry on the 17th and I am scared to death! Hope it helps find an answer to the problem though.I tried Nexium breifly and it did not stop the "attacks" from happening. I am on Protonix now and it has not stopped them either. Exercise helps alot in my opinion. Garlic/onion, spicey foods and the like are big no-no's for me.Hang in there, surely we'll get some relief soon (gotta think positive)God BlessJleigh

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hi Marky,Your symptoms sound a lot like mine. Mine started immediately after gall bladder surgery a few years ago. I'm sorry to say that I don't have a permanent remedy for it. Mine actually feels like I'm having a heart attack. To help stop the pain I drink water immediately when I feel it coming on. Then, if that fails to work, I take liquid pepto bismol. That normally will stop it. I am getting ready to have an esophageal manometry on the 17th and I am scared to death! Hope it helps find an answer to the problem though.I tried Nexium breifly and it did not stop the "attacks" from happening. I am on Protonix now and it has not stopped them either. Exercise helps alot in my opinion. Garlic/onion, spicey foods and the like are big no-no's for me.Hang in there, surely we'll get some relief soon (gotta think positive)God BlessJleigh

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot guys. I drink water religiously. I read that dry bread will help a lot in my situation. I just tried it and it seems to help.I just wanna rip out my stomach and go from there

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot guys. I drink water religiously. I read that dry bread will help a lot in my situation. I just tried it and it seems to help.I just wanna rip out my stomach and go from there

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I have another idea. Get tested for H. Pylori. This is the bacteria that causes ulcers. This bacteria is common and often lies dormant in the stomach until something occurs that puts it into an active state. I'm thinking that having "mono" could have done that for you.I went on a trip to the Middle East and got sick as a dog there. For the next 18 mths, I had pain in the same location you are having it, namely up high and in the center. I finally had a endoscopy which revealed an ulcer and H. Pylori. (There is also a blood test for H. Pylori, but this often give false negatives, as it did in me). My doctor doesn't think I picked up the H. Pylori in the Middle East. He thinks I probably always had it in my stomach since childhood, but that the illness I acquired over there kicked the H. Pylori into an active state. I would at least get the blood test if I were you.Stacey

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I have another idea. Get tested for H. Pylori. This is the bacteria that causes ulcers. This bacteria is common and often lies dormant in the stomach until something occurs that puts it into an active state. I'm thinking that having "mono" could have done that for you.I went on a trip to the Middle East and got sick as a dog there. For the next 18 mths, I had pain in the same location you are having it, namely up high and in the center. I finally had a endoscopy which revealed an ulcer and H. Pylori. (There is also a blood test for H. Pylori, but this often give false negatives, as it did in me). My doctor doesn't think I picked up the H. Pylori in the Middle East. He thinks I probably always had it in my stomach since childhood, but that the illness I acquired over there kicked the H. Pylori into an active state. I would at least get the blood test if I were you.Stacey

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have eliminated dairy products and fatty foods and I seem to be doing pretty good as of yet.Is there something OTC that I can take if I'm gonna eat fatty foods and I know it's gonna upset me?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have eliminated dairy products and fatty foods and I seem to be doing pretty good as of yet.Is there something OTC that I can take if I'm gonna eat fatty foods and I know it's gonna upset me?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.