Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone! This is my first post as an IBSer... found this website and registered today. Well, what can I say? I've been suffering with this malady for at least three years... I'm 31 (live in Pittsburgh, PA) and a male. Just recently, I went to the doctor to see what my problem was... my symptoms are usually a bloated stomach (six months pregnant kind of belly), painful cramps/spasms (feels like a have a dagger lodged in my belly-button), my bowel movements (BM) are sporadic, and when I finally have a BM, it's usually a hot trickle of watery mucous... I do eventually have a real BM, but it's a lot at one time... almost as if it accumulated somewhere in my colon and then broke free... so I would put myself in constipation category. It also feels like I have a million bubbles in my stomach, and ocassionally, a couple of them will break and alleviate some of the pressure I'm experiencing. Sound familiar? My doctor said it might be IBS or Lactose Intolerance... I thought it was the latter because at the time, I was a big milk drinker and ate a bunch of cheese, but it seems no matter what I eat, what I restrict myself, I still get the symptoms (above) at least twice a week. For a month, I started to avoid cheese and drink lactose-free milk (Lactaid). I thought it was working, but I constantly had to pop Bentyl pills in my mouth to help my condition... I ran out of pills recently, and I could probably get another prescription, but I'd rather figure out a way to control the IBS without the use of drugs. Today I bought some Citrucel to see if that would help me be more regular... I'm only taking one serving a day. We'll see if that helps. Anybody have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Hey 007,Welcome, Welcome. Sorry it's taking folks awhile to respond. It's probably because you asked for any suggestions...where does one begin? There are so many--probiotics, digestive enzymes, elimination diet for hidden trigger foods, fiber, Rx drugs if you're into bandaids, hypnotism, etc. Just keep reading everything, learn what works for you, & keep at it till you kick this IBS curse
Regarding the dairy, I've read one clinical study that said all IBS folks benefit from cutting it out of their diets, regardless of LI or not. Even reduced dairy diets were not at all helpful, needs to be completely out of the diet. It is REALLY hard to do that. People have said good things about lactaid....That's it for me. I'm sure you'll hear more.Best wishes, Talissa

·
Registered
16 Posts
I totally understand with the whole pill thing. I would rather control it through my diet... but I have gotten to the point where I can't really control it any more. Everything I eat messes with me at some point in time. I don't want to be on pills the rest of my life... but I am sooooo tired of this ####. I have yet to go to the doctor yet... I have an appointment in July that I made in March. It takes THAT long to get an appointment with a GI. Anywho... all I really have for ya is... "I FEEL YOUR PAIN AND I WISH YOU LUCK!"

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi 007,You've described the exact symptoms I had when I was first diagnosed - about 5 years ago. I've also taken Bentyl, as often as 3x a day. You should be able to get refills without a problem, just be sure not to get overheated (either from outside temp or activity), you'll see it in the patient advisory. Starting with one serving of the Citrucel a day is good, since initially any fiber supplement tends to increase the gas/bloating problem. If that doesn't work well for you then you could ask about Miralax - there are a few threads about it in the constipation forum.Oatmeal works well for me when I can't bear to eat anything else - I just use the instant packets. I also will drink Ensure (lactose free!) to make sure I'm getting enough nutrition. A lot of it is just figuring out what foods cause the worst problems - I know I'll never eat a hot dog again!I've only recently joined the BB, but I've been lurking on and off for about a year - it's a good place to go so you don't feel alone...

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Welcome, keep reading and you will most likely find very useful info that may help you with your particular symptoms. I do not have your symptoms so I cannot be much help there but I do want to welcome you to the board. It's been a lifesaver for me. Tiss

·
Registered
139 Posts
Welcome to this BB! We share the same symptoms, and I take antispasmodic (Hyosocamine) when needed. Just this week I am a new Miralax user, again taking as needed. You may want to review the thread on this at the Constipation board. I have been dealing with IBS for the last three years. When I read on this BB about others who are long-time sufferers, I feel fortunate. Stick around and you'll soon know much more than you do now and much more than most MD's know.

·
Registered
709 Posts
007...with constipation, for me, i find that vitamin C helps (either chewables or peach 'drink' with vitamin C added)...also drinking coffee in the morning with breakfast seems to help (but many have said the opposite)...i've also cut back my dairy considerably, i find that cheese doesn't bother me as much as milk or ice cream, so i still eat cheese...i can totally understand wanting to do this the drug-free way...have you looked at stress as a trigger for your symptoms? stress is very hard to define and eliminate, but i have found it very helpful to step back and figure out what is stressing me and how i can either cut this stress out of my life or if i can't do that, how i can make the situation more bearable...

·
Registered
2 Posts
My doctor put me on Citrucel about 5 months ago for IBS with Constipation. This is the only thing that I have found that constantly helps me but does not get rid of all problems associated with IBS. I still have regular bloating and discomfort. From time to time I may have a couple of really good days and I feel like a new person but it never lasts. I must take two scoops twice daily in a glass of water. If I miss the regiment of two I begin to get off track and my symptoms get worse. I understand your problem and wish you luck!!!Pete

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.