Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Friends
This is almost a week on Probiotics and I have been feeling much improved. Gas problem is almost non-existent, and I was having a big problem. My gnawing tummy aches are also greatly improved. Multiple bowel movements and urgency has almost stopped. I feel much more normal and able to do things. I may even try going back to ballet dancing. I attend college and this probiotics has helped me deal. I hope this continues. I just think that all of us who have IBS, dump antacids, anti-diarrheals, anti-gas pills and who knows whatever in our gut, just trying to get some relief, but with this probiotics one is actually putting in good bacteria, and I firmly believe the good bacteria is having a healing effect on my tummy. I have other posts on this, but I just wanted to share with all my IBS buddies. Any buddies in Southern California ? I also am a Christian, so prayer is also one of my foremost aids in this process. take care :love:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi I am taking ones just called Probiotics and I bought them last week at Trader Joe's. I truly believe these are working. I wish I could find a book on probiotics....if you find one let me know..and good luck if you try the Probiotics, let me know how they work for you. I was so desperate a week ago, I just bought them and almost in a day I felt better. Jennifer

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Charbeaner Yes, I am talking about Trader Joe's markets...I was shopping in there last week,and was suffering from D, but I had to go out and get some type of food, and I had read on the net about probiotics, and when I saw the bottle there, I just felt, why not ? And I can honestly say, by the morning I was feeling better, and it has been so helpful. I take only one a day with my evening meal, and I can actually have a good night's sleep without having to be all tense thinking that I am going to have a bowel accident or that I have all this bloating and gas. Tonight I am going to try and eat pizza, let's see how I feel tomorrow.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Jenni, Hi, this is the first I've heard aboutprobiotics. Is this similar to achidiphilis (thegood bacteria found in yogurt)? I have terribleIBS-D, sounds like you have the same problem. Ifthis works for you I am going to go to 'TraderJoes' tommorow and buy some myself. I am currentlytaking an antispasm drug twice a day and calcium, which seem to be working ok. However, even withthis I can't eat dairy, fried foods, etc. Iate a broiled chicken sandwich from Burger Kingyesterday and even with the meds I had D. I dreamabout eating pizza or mexican food again one day,but had given up hope. How did you do with thepizza? If this works for you I am going to tryit, I would love to get off of the antispasm andcalcium and just do this. Please let me know howthis is working for you, thanks!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi:I'm on my third day of protiotics and they seem to be helping. I also take Linda's calcium regime and I actually feel I have my life back (crossing all fingers and toes). Went out to lunch with a colleague yesterday and actually had a cheeseburger with fries (brave or what!!) and even tho I did have to hit the loo after we got back, it was not the urgency type. I was in heaven eating that. I am still nervous, and if out downtown or something would beef it up with an Imodium.If you see in other posts I wrote about a sour taste in my mouth that went on for a couple of weeks, upon taking the probiotics, was gone the next day. I am happy not to be taking drugs for this problem, which only came on for me right around Memorial Day of this year.How much do your probiotics cost? Mine are about $15 for 30 days supply.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Charbeaner That sounds great, the probiotics have been working on me and I have been feeling great. Please be careful with the food. I had pizza the other night and it somewhat sent my tummy into a problem. I guess just too much tomato sauce and cheese. It wasn't unbearable, but there was a discomfort. My probiotics are about 6.99 for a 30-day supply. I hope other probiotic users let us know how they are doing.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi Jenni:I went to Trader Joe's today and picked up their brand of probiotic's which was much less money than the $35.00 I was paying for a 3 month supply. I did notice one thing, tho--listed in the "other ingredients is Magnesium Stearate and magnesium is supposed to cause "D". The other brand I had previously has no magnesium in it. I'm not sure if the above magnesium type would be a problem. Are you still doing well? Maybe you or someone out there will know about the magnesium stearate. The probiotics sure helped me, tho.I had a piece of pizza tonight and where I did not get "D", when I got home (about 2 hours later) I did have to go right to the bathroom.I guess I will still take an Imodium if I am going "out-out" for safety's sake. Thanx to all of you!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Jenni, I soo glad to hear you live in Ca. I'm going back in 3 weeks, cause I'm in Florida now. The reason I'm in Florida is because of IBS!!!Wow I hope you write back please..I'm also a Christain too and I went to a great church called Oasis on Wilshire. Anyway, I've tried Probotics and didn't really work . But my doc in Fl put me on paxil last October and I have been off of it for 2 1/2 weeks now. I hve to admit it changed my life. I never felt sooo healthy since I've hade Ibs. But, I wanted to get off because I never wanted to be on a drug that effected my brain, ya know. My ibs is back alittle, but not like it use to be. well that's enough for now. I'm glad your doing well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Actressch23 I am also on Prozac, and the combination with the Probiotics and prozac along with Bentyl for th spasms has been working. I ate pizza the other night, and then the next night I had some apricots.....well,,,,,,,,,it started a flare-up, So now I know I have to scratch that off my food list. Glad that you are a Christian, I go to Calvary Christian in Arcadia, but would like to try the one you attend. Where is it? Is it mainstream Christian bible based ? Do you ever go to the Grove by Farmer's Market. it is so cool there, and fun. How long have you had IBS.? I have had it for about 3 years now, and it all started because of major stress, I lost my Dad and brother. And going to college has proved stressful, but I graduate next year. I attend Mount St.Mary's College in Los Angeles, it's a all-women's college. It's small but great, it is over in Brentwood. Write back.

·
Registered
98 Posts
hey everyone. i have had IBS for almost 2 years and have only noticed little improvement. i do consider probiotics necessary though. i take the one called jarro dophilus. it has 6 species and costs 18$ for 180 capsules(you are supposed to take 1-3 a day). it isnt as though they healed me, but i do notice the difference between not taking them and taking them. i have also tried primal defense(which was supposedly a garaunteed cure for ibs) which made me worse. i would recommend the ones im taking now to anyone with ibs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
woohooo, my mom picked me up some probiotics from trader joe's today and i was on here looking for people's reactions to them. i was about to chuck them when i saw in one person's post that they had to be refrigerated, but now i'll try them. i sure hope this works...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.