Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diganosised with ibs but it sounds like i may have diverticulisis (sorry about the spelling). I have severe pain/cramps, naseusa, con&di. My pains/cramps are mainly in my lower left stomach. I have had a colonoscopy and other test and I am going in for a gastic emptying tomorrow (where they put crystal like things in your stomach and see how it passes through your stomach - some nucluer medicine test). I read that you can be diagnosised with ibs and still have diver, and vis versa. They said that it is missed quite often. Could I still have diver if i have had several tests without finding anything real signifcant? I am at a loss and could use some help. Thanks!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Colonocsopy should have seen if you have diverticuli.The diverticuli by themselves often do not cause symptoms until they are infected.With diverticulitis (when they get infected) you generally have severe pain, fever, and need antibiotics before the spell ends, although you may clear it after a few days by yourself if you are lucky and if you aren't it can perforate and then you have a 50% chance of living if they get you into the hospital with massive doses of antibiotics fast enough.IBS can cause all the same pain and some people will have nausea (and they are checking for upper GI problems that can cause that with this next test you are having) of any other GI illness, but you won't have the high fever from the infection when it is "just" IBS.Diverticulosis (the uninfected pouches) and then the diverticulitis (if they ever get infected, and for a lot of people they never do) are usually a big problem in elderly people. If you live long enough you will get some diverticuli. It is really rare to see this before middle age.IBS pain can be anywhere along the colon, but left side either by the ribs or lower down is really common in IBS.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.