Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi to anyone who reads this. I also suffer from this problem. It will be 5-6 years now. In that time I have tried everything under thesun to try to find ways to cure this problem. I've gone to every forum, tried all the suggested cures, went to several doctors, & more. Yes I've come out with more than a few battle scars. I've developed a slight anxiety problem and gone through an anxiety attack But I'm recieving help from a genuine psychiatrist, who also wants to assist me in finding the right people to help with the biological aspect that might play a role in this flatulence problem.For the past 5 years I have worried & stressed myself out over my bowel movements & flatulence. When I stop worrying, the problem disappears.For example, This summer I started to wake up early & start jogging everyday.Things started to come together in my life, and when that happened I gained a new perspective. When I 'm in a good time of my life, when I don't have stress or the possibility of people finding out about my flatulence, I haven't got issues with flatulence. However, this doesn't mean that it has nothing to do with diet or etc. I just believe the mind has a lot to do with it.What helped in lessening the severity of the problem was a good diet, exercise, and a combo of therapy sessions where I explored the possibility of there being a psychological issue that plays a role in this problem of our's. The mind is truly a powerful thing. If you want something to happen to your body you might just get it, A woman trained herself to with stand the frigid waters of the Artic to swim a mile with just a bathing suit on.After that I just came to the conclusion that everybody is capable of having uncontrollable flatulence. In the same way, everybody is capable of reversing what has happened to us. For me, I have suffered from very painful & frequent IBS attacks in my childhood. Going to the bathroom was painful & embarrassing. So from time to time, I just didn't bother to go. There's a lot more to it. Basically it's just revisiting your past incidences with BMs & flatulence. When I came to accept it[ as[ a normal bodily function & that I was normal & the possibility of me being able to live a fulfilling life despite this, it all changed. I will honestly tell you, I was able to go through a few weeks of extremely stressful situations without having to have a bad episode.This isn't a cure though. You'll have relapses. I had a bad incident on a train, but I am now able to go on for a month if I'm doing really great without a slipup. Right now what I'm trying to do is find the right health care professional to help me. I suggest for others out there to take initiative & keep going on with your search.It doesn't necessarily have to be a person who specializes in that field. They could be a nurse who helps patients out with fecal incontinence, who, might know the right people to help you out.For people with our conditions it is more important to take care of our mental health because our biggest opponent is ourselves. We feel shame, embarrassment, low. self esteem. People are even suicidal. But is it worth it? Is any of this worth our lives? Is farting, are smells worth all of this anguish ? Worth our dreams? Are we going to sacrifice opportunities to meet people because we are scared they might judge us? In those people that you meet I can guarantee you there are at least 95% of them who will understand you if you ever tell them your story. If you have to, tell them your story. In those group of people you miss meeting there could be future best friends & spouses, who will love you unconditionally despite whatever flaws you have.At the end of our lives, are we going to be able to say "no I haven't regretted a single thing''? If you think your situation is unbearable, if coworkers are getting to you, if your condition is making you so miserable right now, don't let it. There are always, always ways out. If you're like me & you have episodes during stressful times, then drink cranberry juice,eat right, exercise, & find ways to relax. Life can't be just this. It can't just be a nightmare or a strange medical mystery. There are so many things to experience. I feel like we all[ need to trust our bodies again. Though if may seem as if they've failed us there is a past & a reason to it all. Most importantly we can't let this be the definition of who we are or let it determine how we live.I think I want to keep trying to find an. answer to this situation of our's for the rest of my life, but in a way where it won't affect me mentally. In the early beginning of when my flatulence happened, Iwas extremely depressed. So I'd like to share this with everyone. To fellow sufferers, you are all very brave individuals who have endured so much. You were strong enough to have come this far,you're strong enough to continue. If it wasn't this problem it would've been something else. Life in the end can be one long fight. If I have anymore leads I'll definitely post. Until then, take care & be kinder to yourselves.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Keep at it. Ive had this (fecal body odor) for about 8 months and its driving me crazy. I'm in school and I am involved in many things such as volunteering, research and outreach programs and since Ive had this, things have been downhill. My schooling has definitely been affected but thanks to this forum and the fact that there are other people out there just like me gives me great comfort. I intend to devote my time and knowledge into figuring this out and curing it.So far I have had an blood test for bacterial infection and a stomach ultrasound and nothing. My symptoms include a swollen belly and a fecal body odor, although I have found ways of reducing the odor. I have found digestive enzymes, acidophiles, chlorophyll, fiber pills, garlic oil (not odorless garlic which is garlic extract but garlic oil) and Lecithin to work great. Ive read other people's testimonials about their diet plans and I know for sure from my own experience that diet play a huge part. Unfortunately I have searched through scientific literature and have come up empty on our condition. The only documented case I found was from 1972 in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) from a doctor describing the condition (the same as ours) of a patient of his. Unfortunately the treatments mentioned by the doctor do not work and I don't believe it to be a bacterial problem. I will talk about this later but I believe that this problem is rooted in the liver. In the meantime heres some articles that I found searching through literature. Hope they'll help. Mind you these are only the Abstract descriptions, I was not able to obtain the full articles. Effect of Apple Pectin Oligosaccharide on Intestinal DisordersAuthor(s): Takahashi Y (Takahashi, Yoshinori)1, Masuda Y (Masuda, Yasuyuki)1, Sugimoto M (Sugimoto, Masahiro)1, Enari H (Enari, Hiroyuki)1JOURNAL OF THE JAPANESE SOCIETY FOR FOOD SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY-NIPPON SHOKUHIN KAGAKU KOGAKU KAISHI Volume: 55 Issue: 10 Pages: 455-460 Published: 2008 Abstract: Apple pectin oligosaccharide (APO) prepared from apple juice residue contained about 30% uronic acid, the principal component of pectin. We found that APO is utilized by major species of human intestinal microflora, such as Bacteroides sp. and Bifidobacterium sp., and that it induces the production of short-chain fatty acids, mainly acetic acid and butyric acid. Moreover, APO was observed to reduce fecal putrefaction by fecal batch culture test. Since APO is expected to be effective for improving intestinal function, APO (5 g/day) was administrated for 2 weeks to 7 subjects who tended to be constipated. Intake of APO led to an increase in bowel movement frequency and improved fecal condition, including fecal odor. Thus, APO intake may contribute to improving intestinal disorders. (Received Mar. 31, 2008; Accepted Jul. 4, 2008)Zizyphus mauritiana Lam. (Rhamnaceae) and the chemical composition of its floral fecal odorAuthor(s): Alves RJV, Pinto AC, da Costa AVM, Rezende CMSource: JOURNAL OF THE BRAZILIAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY Volume: 16 Issue: 3B Pages: 654-656 Published: MAY-JUN 2005 Abstract: When in blossom, jujube (Zizyphus mauritiana Lam., Rhamnaceae) emanates a strong fecal odor. The substances responsible for this scent were analysed by headspace solid-phase microextraction and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (SPME-GC-MS) associated to standard co-injection and retention indexes, which showed benzaldehyde as major constituent. Minor benzenoids, aliphatic carboxylic acids, aldehydes, hydrocarbons and oxygenated monoterpenes were also observed. Olfactometric evaluation of the SPME using GC-sniffing port indicated skatole (3-methyl-indole) as responsible for the fecal odor and vanillin for the sweety odor.Effect of Proanthocyanidin-Rich Extract from Grape Seeds on Human Fecal Flora and Fecal OdorJun Yamakoshi, Shoichi Tokutake, Mamoru Kikuchi, Yoshiro Kubota, Hiroyasu Konishi, Tomotari Mitsuoka‌The aim of this study was to evaluate the effects of proanthocyanidin-rich extracts from grape seeds on human fecal flora and fecal odor. Proanthocyanidin-rich extract containing 38.5% proanthocyanidin was administered to nine healthy adults at a dose of 0.5 g/day (0.19 g/day as proanthocyanidin) for 2 weeks, and proanthocyanidin-rich extract containing 89.3% proanthocyanidin was administered to eight elderly inpatients at a dose of 0.43 g/day (0.38 g/day as proanthocyanidin) for 2 weeks. Green tea extract and/or champignon extract, both of which have been found to have a deodorant effect on fecal odor, were administered in a similar manner as controls. In healthy adults, marked decreases in fecal odor and concentrations of methyl mercaptan and hydrogen sulfide in feces were observed during proanthocyanidin-rich extract intake, but the effects of green tea extract and champignon extract were weak. After 2 weeks of proanthocyanidin-rich extract intake, the number of Bifidobacterium had increased significantly (p<0.05), whereas the number of Enterobacteriaceae tended to decrease (p=0.121). The level of putrefactive substances, including ammonia, phenol, p-cresol, 4-ethylphenol, indole, and skatols tended to decrease after proanthocyanidin-rich extract intake, and fecal pH also tended to decrease. Nurses and hospital aides performed organoleptic evaluations that showed less fecal odor in elderly inpatients with proanthocyanidin-rich extract intake than with champignon extract intake. In an in vitro study, the proanthocyanidin-rich extract reduced methyl mercaptan and hydrogen sulfide release from the feces of healthy adults, and also reduced methyl mercaptan release from methyl mercaptan solution. The absorptive ability of methyl mercaptan was stronger in procyanidin oligomers larger than decamer than procyanidin dimer to tetramer. These results suggest that proanthocyanidin-rich extract from grape seed intake induces a reduction in the level of putrefactive products in the intestine, which may be linked to the modest change in the numbers of Bifidobacterium and Enterobacteriaceae. They also suggest that the strong deodorant effect of proanthocyanidins on fecal odor is due to the decrease of putrefactive products and the absorption of malodorous compounds from feces by the larger molecular procyanidin oligomers in the proanthocyanidins.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.