Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's been quite a while now and I thought I'd post an update with my results thus far.First a history. I've had IBS-D for about 10 years now. All started back in college at an outdoor concert. Ate the wrong foods, out in the cold/rain, and had the worse D of my life.Since then the anxiety of thinking "what if I get D" has overwhelmed my life.After trying everything, going to the doc, having nothing work I started doing my own tests.What has worked is this. 1/2 immodium every night and 3 fiber pills. Also a couple beers a night, maybe an ibuprofin every other day. Nothing has worked better or longer or been more consistent. When I don't have a couple beers it isn't bad, but I can tell it helps. No matter if I have 2 or 10. More beer doesn't make it worse.Also, when I take my ibuprofin along with a claritin (generic brand for my allergies) it seems to help even more.I used to live on just meat, potatoes and thats it. Veggies, fruit, sugar, anything other than meat or potatoes and rice would give me D.Since starting my regim I've slowly added other foods back into my diet including vegetables like cucumbers, salads, and corn on the cob (yuuummyyy!)I even started eating cole slaw! A killer for most IBSers! MMMmmm!! Most nights now consist of meat (steak, pork chop or chicken) with mashed potatoes, cole slaw, corn on the cob, cucumbers with home made dressing (the stuff with mayo, sugar, vinegar) and grilled texas toast (with real butter!) I am the cook, so it's nice to finally eat what I cook!For months now it's been great. No problems at all. Solid BMs in the morning, sometimes 1 or 2. Once in a while one at night. Always with a "complete feeling" after.I actually found out what real "D" from being sick is like just last week! Our 9mo old daughter caught a bug and got D and also a very sore bottom from it. She would D a few times a day... once she was done pooping she was happy as a clam. But changing her was terrible from the rash it caused.A couple days after she got better I got D... I thought it was food poisoning. But for 3-4 days I would have D and feel fine afterwards.. almost like IBS but I could tell it wasn't. It was obviously the same virus she had.Then, it cleared up, just like with our daughter.Now again I am back to "normal". I never deviated from my regim at all. My system seemed to have cleared itself up and things are great.Every now and then I will get the cramps (mostly if I eat too much sugar, HFCS, etc), but instead of 3-4 bouts of D I maybe have 1 or 2 solid to semi-solid BMs. It's very encouraging!So, this worked for me. My GI is baffled (I think it's inflammation that caused my issues) and I stick to it.. Every other regim gave good results for a few weeks but never lasted. This one has!Oh, and popcorn seems to make it even better! My grandpa eats popcorn every night because he's had "loose stools" since he can remember, and the popcorn is the only thing that has helped him. And when I eat it, it helps even more!This has helped me get out more and start breaking the cycle of having to worry if I will have a D bout or not. I'm only about 50% over that, but that's a HUGE step from where I was!Well, time to sleep. Just thought I'd share my "success" story.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What a wonderful encouraging story! Thanks for sharing! I hae found that a person just has to try about everything and then come up with their own solutions. Kind of like a recipe, a little bit of that, a large quantity of this and oh, a pinch of this! So everyone out there just keep on trying things! I have not found my solution yet, but with the help of everyone on this site, I know I will! Thanks to all of you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
That is very encouraging! Thank you for sharing. I've had IBS (mostly) D but sometimes C for about 16 years now. I've always been afraid of taking immodium or any other type of antiD medecine in fear of the C coming back with revenge. But lately, with my twice daily fiber intake, that has not been a problem. I think I have experienced enough and found what works for me food-wise, but there are still stressful days where my safe diet does not work! After reading this and many other posts on here, I feel I may try taking some immodium before stressful events (such as finals, interviews, and.. my wedding!)Thanks again. Glad to hear things are going so well for you!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No problem! It took a while to find my issues, and a fix for me.Things seem to get better the longer I'm on it. I get much more regular and it's so great to have actual form to my stools! LOL! I never thought I'd ever say that.When I got my bought of the Flu with D I could tell it's wasn't IBS causing the D. 1 immodium (what a "normal person" would do) stopped it up for a day as well.Yesterday I almost went the whole day without going. And I felt fine. But a little anxious since I'm used to at least 1 a day.
So for supper I at a huge salad (along with my prime rib and baked potato with butter and SC!) and had a blow pop (for the sugar) on the way home from the restaurant and sure enough that got me going again this morning.Sugar seems to be my main enemy, mainly anything not like table sugar (HFCS, artificial sweetners, etc). When I had yesterday the only thing I changed in my diet was I "forgot" to have my Tofutti Cutie for desert after supper the day before.
Less sugar, less going I guess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.