Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,I'm from Poland. My wife (38 years old) is suffering from IBS for many years. We can't find help in our country becase our doctors didn't know well IBS. Most of them is sending us to psychiatrists... rest is giving antybiotics. So generally we need help. Maybe this forum will help. And sorrry for my english but I think it is maybe not gramatically correct but understandable.I had read a lot of information about IBS and I would like to give you short description of my wife history and my current theory what we schould do. I'm interested what do you think about it.So, 8 years ago, during holidays in Turkey, my wife has salmonella infection. It was cured very bad. Local doctor give us antibiotics for only two days. After returning to Poland infection attacked again. Very hard. After few weeks my wife was healed from salmonella but there was still new problems: pain and noises in bowel, mucus in loose stool. A lot of symptoms increased often few hours after eating.So we started to heal this problem: doctors send us to psychiatrists so we go to china medicine doctors, we started acupunture and change wife's diet. It helped a lot but not to the end. Our chineese medicine doctor started to be helpless - he also didn't have such patient ever. In this time me wife started to eat a lot of millet and that whas the best "drug" for her in this time.We started to searach for worms, tinea, also using alternative medicine tests. All of that for nothing. We also go to psychitrists finally - he give my wife xanax for two weeks. Nothing changed.In that time there were different episodes: few months better, few months worse. One of the effect of this problems was low resitance and my wife was very often ill. During one of that illnes doctors give her antibiotic by injection. Injection becase we were afraid to give her antibiotcs as drugs becase of bowel problems.And during injection of that antibiotis there was mirracle: very good stool, no pain, no noise in bowel. Unfortunatelly when injection was ended, all of those problems were back again. Maybe not so strong but again.So we started to search for bacteria infection. We found very good laboratory and there was few findings as:Escherichia coli / LOWEnterococcus faecalis / LOW Candida dubliniensis / MEDIUMStaphylococcus aureus / MEDIUM Staphylococcus epidermidis / LOWEnterobacter cloacae / MEDIUMBut our doctor (very known professor, intenstine specialized) said to us that there is a lot of bacteria in bowel and it is imposible to identificate them all and remove bad ones. During another illness (air passages) another antibiotic was given to my wife (azytromicin) and again mirracle. And now for few months! My wife started to eat normally... but after to many and to heavy eatings (but you propably understood that after few years of light food she want to eat something gooood) problems started again.Durign another illness (air passages) doctor give her again azytromicin. And this time this wasn't good. Situation was very bad. My wife suffered by heaving pain and noise for 3 months. She lose weight every week. She feel like everything from her bowel is close to her mounth. Finally our profesor give her new medicine: xifaxan/rifaksimunum. Twice. And this helps a lot. But some problems still were here. We found new Institute in Poland, specialized in curing problems with overgrowth of bacteria and to low positive bacteria level in bowel ("dysbioza" in polish, i don't know and google translate also don't know this word in english
).My wife started to eat some drops to rebuild her bacterial flora. Unfortunatelly, one time those drops was not clean and there was some tinea infection. My wife has takend strong anti-tinea drugs. It helped with tinea but again problems with bowel araise. We tried xifaxan/rifaksimunumagain - with very little result. Stool has began to be green, loose and mucus. After few months we tried metronidazole. Situation was ever worse. We tried xifaxan/rifaksimunumnow. Stool is mucus & loose and still green. Noise in belly is reduced. But there is still pain on left side in upper belly. This is our current situation and we not sure what to do next. And now theories.My theory is that there is no infection but dysregulation of bacterial flora with episodes of overgrow to small bowel. And antibiotcs (including xifaxan/rifaksimunum) was helping with overgrowth but never helped to the end with dysregulation bacterial flora in bowel. So we need to regulate this flora. The best way is to use drops from our local Instistute and we have to use special diet: in the beginining with no remains and after that with low remains. No remains diet is diet with special medicine food: nutrica, ensure (used in other heavy instenstine problems).My wife theory is simillar but she thinks that there is still need of removal overgrowth with some antibiotics becase she is resistant to xifaxan/rifaksimunum.What do you think? I looking for your help.GreetingsJarek

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
second update:in my first post there was mistake, i used name xanax instead of xifaxan/rifaksimnum. also additional information:My wife had colonoscopy. Three times. First time (short after salmonella infection): they call it microinflammation. After next two years: clean. Two years ago: again micoinflammation. We made full antyfungal program. No results. We know that antybiotiscs are part of the problem. So we are very carefull to take them. But we tried so many times xifaxan because it is only in 1% absporbed to whole body (xifaxan: rifaksiminum). In childhood my wife has taken a lot of antybiotics
. Currently she has allergy on part of them and for many others she has resistance. As I consulted it with one expert who is a little more expirienced with IBS in Poland, my wife has probably SIBO + IBS. In our opinion it is IBS-PI. In our doctors opinion IBS-D... We had long psychoterapy and my wife also was under psychiatrists consultation and she take some drugs from him. Nothing changed after psychoterapy and psychiatrists drugs... Jarek

·
Prolific Member, iSupportIBS
470 Posts
The word that you were looking for is "dysbiosis" I think.It seems your wife has SIBO. She can be tested for SIBO by using a breath test. It often happens that this condition will be improved by rifaxamin but then can return as the bacteria overgrows again. You may like to look at the work done by Dr Marc Pimentel (see Google) in the USA, he wrote a book on this. He suggests that after taking the antibiotic you must then follow an elemental diet to starve the bad bacteria so they won't overgrow.Another are which you can think about is called fecal transplantation or human probiotic infusion. You can search for this and the work done by Professor Tom Borody in Australia.I would suggest that you wife is tested for Helicobacter Pylori.Also, it seems correct that the bad bacteria in your wife's gut must be removed in some way so that her stool test returns to normal.I can promise you that IBS is not well treated by any country, not just Poland.Good luck to you and your wife.

·
Registered
312 Posts
it sounds to me your wife's good bacteria in her gut has been destroyed by all the antibiotics she takesbut anyways this is what i strongly recommendread whats on this websitehttp://www.biblelife.org/bowel.htmeat a diet high in fat, medium in protein, and very low in carbohydrates and very very low fibersomething like 50-70% fat, 20-40% protein, 3-10% carbohydrates, these % are easy to get just eat foods that are high in fat like chicken eggs are 61% fat also try to limmit your carbohydrate intake too 20-40 grams per dayheres an example eat lots of eggs, unsalted butter, meat and some broccoli is good too however only eat the top flower parts of the broccoli cause you don't want to be eating the stems the stems are where the fiber is and that is what you want to avoid cause you don't want to be eating fiberalso there are some fats you can't eat cause they will cause stomach problemsvegetable oils = BAD, don't eat any vegetable oils abosolutely nonebutter, fatty meat = GOOD, make sure everything you eat is cooked with butter and not vegetable oilsif you cook a steak in olive oil it will hurt your gut but if you cook it in butter it will be goodavoid all dairy even cheese cause she suffers from candida but if her candida clears up one day she still can't eat any dairy unless its cheese or raw milkalso try to get her lots of Vitamin D example cod liver oil is good and staying out in the sun for 15 mins each day at noon time to help get Vitamin D will help alotnow there is alot of foods she needs to avoid here is a listavoid all : White and black pepper, vinegar, capers, cinnamon, Cornstarch, Corn syrup, Nutmeg, Vanilla , Ketchup, pickles, mayonnaise, mustard, relish Coffee, Distilled liquor, Black Tea , coconut, glutose frutose, tomatos, zucchini, breadavoid all : Grains, starchy vegetables, fruits, beans, Legumes, Alcohal, Nuts & Seeds, Dairy, white flour, fast food, junk food, and don't eat any pork or shellfish they absorb to many toxins into there fleshand now foods that are ok to eat in short only eat these foods and eat as much as you wantmeat, unsalted butter, broccoli, cauliflower, Liver, Heart, animal organs, bone marrow , animal fat, chicken/turkey skinand if possible try to get organic and grass fed anima fat cause grass fed animal fat is much better for you cause it has vitamins like K2 429 but if you can't find any thats ok just eat normal meatbecareful of all pre-made meats like sausages they may have flour or sugar added into them you must be carefuland remember absolutely no cheating i know normally she can't eat even one bite of broccoli or fatty meat right? but that is because she ate bad things with it like bread if i ate bread then i could not eat a single bite of broccoli or fatty meat with out geting horrible problems. but after you cut the bad types of carbohydrates out its like magic you can eat lots of fatty meat and broccoli and get no stomach problems what so everonce her stomach is healed she can try adding foods back into her diet so its not as boring but remmeber it can take a good 6 months for someones stomach to heal depending on how damaged it is. so make sure she stays strict to this diet for atleast 6 months before testing foods outyou can't test foods with a damaged stomach it must be fully healednow also one more thing with her eating very low carbohydrates 25 grams or less if she eats that low she will go into ketosis this is perfectly normal and healthy however when you first enter ketosis when you have never really done it before you will feel crappy for 14 days or so with a slight headace and low energy don't worry it passes here is info on ithttp://www.biblelife.org/ketosis.htmi have fueled off of ketones for 5 straight years trust me once you get past the 20 or so day adaptation phase its extremely easy to stick too infact i feel more energized when fueling off of ketones rather than glucoseand if your worried about all that fat intake don't be cause eskimos eat a diet of up to 80% fat yet there all extremely lean they have a 11% body fat which is very lean and they have 0% heart disease and 0% type 2 diabetes they are perfectly healthy cause saturated animal fat's are good for you. the whole saturated animal fats being bad for you was a lie. and the things that are bad for you and cause heart disease is glucose and other forms of sugar.if you have any questions feel free to ask me and God bless i hope this info helps

·
Prolific Member, iSupportIBS
470 Posts
it sounds to me your wife's good bacteria in her gut has been destroyed by all the antibiotics she takesbut anyways this is what i strongly recommendread whats on this websitehttp://www.biblelife.org/bowel.htmeat a diet high in fat, medium in protein, and very low in carbohydrates and very very low fibersomething like 50-70% fat, 20-40% protein, 3-10% carbohydrates, these % are easy to get just eat foods that are high in fat like chicken eggs are 61% fat also try to limmit your carbohydrate intake too 20-40 grams per dayheres an example eat lots of eggs, unsalted butter, meat and some broccoli is good too however only eat the top flower parts of the broccoli cause you don't want to be eating the stems the stems are where the fiber is and that is what you want to avoid cause you don't want to be eating fiberalso there are some fats you can't eat cause they will cause stomach problemsvegetable oils = BAD, don't eat any vegetable oils abosolutely nonebutter, fatty meat = GOOD, make sure everything you eat is cooked with butter and not vegetable oilsif you cook a steak in olive oil it will hurt your gut but if you cook it in butter it will be goodavoid all dairy even cheese cause she suffers from candida but if her candida clears up one day she still can't eat any dairy unless its cheese or raw milkalso try to get her lots of Vitamin D example cod liver oil is good and staying out in the sun for 15 mins each day at noon time to help get Vitamin D will help alotnow there is alot of foods she needs to avoid here is a listavoid all : White and black pepper, vinegar, capers, cinnamon, Cornstarch, Corn syrup, Nutmeg, Vanilla , Ketchup, pickles, mayonnaise, mustard, relish Coffee, Distilled liquor, Black Tea , coconut, glutose frutose, tomatos, zucchini, breadavoid all : Grains, starchy vegetables, fruits, beans, Legumes, Alcohal, Nuts & Seeds, Dairy, white flour, fast food, junk food, and don't eat any pork or shellfish they absorb to many toxins into there fleshand now foods that are ok to eat in short only eat these foods and eat as much as you wantmeat, unsalted butter, broccoli, cauliflower, Liver, Heart, animal organs, bone marrow , animal fat, chicken/turkey skinand if possible try to get organic and grass fed anima fat cause grass fed animal fat is much better for you cause it has vitamins like K2 429 but if you can't find any thats ok just eat normal meatbecareful of all pre-made meats like sausages they may have flour or sugar added into them you must be carefuland remember absolutely no cheating i know normally she can't eat even one bite of broccoli or fatty meat right? but that is because she ate bad things with it like bread if i ate bread then i could not eat a single bite of broccoli or fatty meat with out geting horrible problems. but after you cut the bad types of carbohydrates out its like magic you can eat lots of fatty meat and broccoli and get no stomach problems what so everonce her stomach is healed she can try adding foods back into her diet so its not as boring but remmeber it can take a good 6 months for someones stomach to heal depending on how damaged it is. so make sure she stays strict to this diet for atleast 6 months before testing foods outyou can't test foods with a damaged stomach it must be fully healednow also one more thing with her eating very low carbohydrates 25 grams or less if she eats that low she will go into ketosis this is perfectly normal and healthy however when you first enter ketosis when you have never really done it before you will feel crappy for 14 days or so with a slight headace and low energy don't worry it passes here is info on ithttp://www.biblelife.org/ketosis.htmi have fueled off of ketones for 5 straight years trust me once you get past the 20 or so day adaptation phase its extremely easy to stick too infact i feel more energized when fueling off of ketones rather than glucoseand if your worried about all that fat intake don't be cause eskimos eat a diet of up to 80% fat yet there all extremely lean they have a 11% body fat which is very lean and they have 0% heart disease and 0% type 2 diabetes they are perfectly healthy cause saturated animal fat's are good for you. the whole saturated animal fats being bad for you was a lie. and the things that are bad for you and cause heart disease is glucose and other forms of sugar.if you have any questions feel free to ask me and God bless i hope this info helps
Ziggy - an interesting post. Has this diet cured you completely and if so may I ask what were your symptoms please? And what is the basis behind this diet, in other words why does it work?

·
Registered
312 Posts
@idkwiawell im 100% healed as long as i stick to this diet and my symptoms are IBS-D and thats what it heals it may help other forms of IBS too but i have not tested it cause i have only ever had IBS-Dit took me about 6 months to heal my stomach (it was really damaged before) but however during the 6 months i ate some other foods that irritated it like mayo and such and im sure i could have healed faster than 6 months if i did not eat foods that caused problems now and then. but also after my stomach was fully healed i was able to test foods properly and thats how i found out mayo was causeing problemsalso with a very damaged stomach any food you eat will cause some discomfort but your stomach will heal by eating these foodsmy IBS-D was soo bad that i had horrible gas and always had to go to the bathroom i thought i would never be able to go out again never be able to exercise or run or anything cause my IBS-D would be there and at one point it was soo bad i had diarrea everyday. i used to not be able to eat a single bite of broccoli or fatty meat with out geting terrible gas and stomach pains. but now after cuting the carbohydrates out i can eat as much broccoli and fatty meat as i want with absolutely zero problems my stomach does not hurt at all mind you its gotta be the top flower parts of the broccoli and not the fiber stemsi can now exercise hard at the gym right after eating a big breakfast of say 5 scrambled eggs made with unsalted butter and feta cheese and be 100% perfectly fine and 100% zero gas/stomach problemsi thought it would be impossible for me to live my life gas free but with this diet i get basically 97% less gas and the 3% of gas that is remaining does not smell foul at all. when before it was disgusting foul smelling gas every hour i thought it was the fat and broccoli to blame but turns out it was the bread and pasta and junk carbs all alongi will admit i do try testing new foods now and then recently i tried eating cabbage and almonds but it just gave me to many bowl movements and some diarrea which is too annoying to keep in my diet. but thats the reason the allowed food list i gave is soo small and so strict is because i don't know of many foods that are ok to eat but i have ate eggs,broccoli,unsalted butter, meat and feta cheese for years now and im doing good and the few times i eat animal organs i do good as well and i was debateing if celery is ok i think its ok but i have not ate enough of it to safely recommend it yet xDif you don't have candida you can add cheese to your diet it makes the food taste alot better but also i hear some people have allergies to eggs and or broccoli? if you have an allergy to them then you will need to avoid them but most people don't have allergys to themi will add a recommendation however don't eat broccoli or caulliflower for breakfast cause it is a vegetable and it does have some carbs its best to eat at a late lunch or early dinnerand as for why it works il try to explain best i can but also check these links outhttp://westonaprice.org/http://www.youmeworks.com/whylowcarb.htmlcarbohydrates interfere with the fat you eat in many many ways i could type a whole page full about this but instead il just leave it at that and so it upsets your stomachalso fiber can be food for nasty gut bacteria but also good gut bacteria but fiber just gives me problems so i avoid it and other cultures of people who avoid it do perfectly finethere is so many posions in are foods these days that you basically have to eat a plain basic diet like this just to not get poisoned fast food is soo toxic and full of so many horrible horrible things for example a mc donalds hamburger has 3 types of soy in it , soy oil, hydrogenated soy also known as man made trans fat , soy lethicinnow you may be asking what is wrong with soy? well soy is a extremely toxic plant look what it says on wiki : Raw soybeans, including edamame, are toxic to humans, swine, chickens, in fact, all monogastric animals. : now if even swine can't eat it then definently humans cannot but anyways here is more info on soyhttp://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/http://www.westonaprice.org/soy-alert/1624.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCwVAkrHLq4...=rec-r2-2r-4-HMi even heard from someone before that soy lechithin was causeing them bad stomach problems.anyways i know in canada when i ate junk food it all had soy lechithin in italso i know japan has ate soy but they ate it in very small amounts and they ate only miso,tempeh,nato which are fully and properly fermented to get the toxins out which is something western culture clearly does not doanyways canola oil causes stomach problems for me as well and olive oil and i think every vegetable oil doesalso at this link on myth no.10 it says vegetable oils are bad for youhttp://www.biblelife.org/myths.htmoh ya becareful of what vitamins you take i know most vitamins upset my stomach but if your scared your missing something in your diet you can log your food into fitday.com and see if you need anything but you will want to ignore some of the RDA recommendations. and i think vitamin E and cod liver oil would be a good idea and also when your stomach is healed i think one of the first foods to test would be raspberries they have never given me any problemsbut when testing a new food test only 1 food at a time and for about a full 7 day week so you know for sure how it effects youalso before buying any vitamins check this link outhttp://products.mercola.com/multivitamin-vital-minerals/in short it is very hard to find good vitamins but don't buy any till you have done your research this go's for vitamin E as wellhope this extra info helps can't think of much more at the moment anyways God bless

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.