Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.Kmottus stated earlier that narrow stools may need evaluating.Well I have these and they have a funny sorta of shape not well formed. I have had a barium enema, sigmoidoscopy and abdo ct in this area as well as small series x-rays and top end endoscopy, all normal. Is this OK?Thanks.Andy.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Stool shape doesn't strike me as having much clinical signficance. Best treatment is to stop looking at it.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Stool shape doesn't strike me as having much clinical signficance. Best treatment is to stop looking at it.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.

·
Registered
511 Posts
penciling of the stool has long been thought of as a significant finding and perhaps an indication that something might be wrong in the colon. that doesn't mean that you have a problem but that it should be mentioned to your doctor. i am a bit puzzled as to why you haven't had the most definitive test, the colonoscopy, when it sounds like you've had just about everything else? continue to look at your stools unless flux would have you ship them to him for inspection!

·
Registered
511 Posts
penciling of the stool has long been thought of as a significant finding and perhaps an indication that something might be wrong in the colon. that doesn't mean that you have a problem but that it should be mentioned to your doctor. i am a bit puzzled as to why you haven't had the most definitive test, the colonoscopy, when it sounds like you've had just about everything else? continue to look at your stools unless flux would have you ship them to him for inspection!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi.They say here in the UK that they scope if they find something on the barium enema, to reduce risks of colonoscopy problems.I have not had the colonoscopy because my barium and other tests where completely normal.Is this OK?Thanks.Andy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi.They say here in the UK that they scope if they find something on the barium enema, to reduce risks of colonoscopy problems.I have not had the colonoscopy because my barium and other tests where completely normal.Is this OK?Thanks.Andy.

·
Registered
511 Posts
andy, here in the states we have been doing colonoscopies for probably about 25 years. actually visualizing the colon with fiberoptic apparatus affords the doctor the opportunity to perhaps detect small trouble areas that the barium enema might miss. in addition he will take numerous biopsies to actually give you a histologic status and absolute proof that either everything is o.k. or not. there are risks with the procedure but in the hands of a well trained and skillful doctor they are nothing to worry about; unless of course you possess certain risk factors. do discuss this with your doctor again as he may add to his explanation and he may be absolutely correct in his handling of your case. good luck, mitchell

·
Registered
511 Posts
andy, here in the states we have been doing colonoscopies for probably about 25 years. actually visualizing the colon with fiberoptic apparatus affords the doctor the opportunity to perhaps detect small trouble areas that the barium enema might miss. in addition he will take numerous biopsies to actually give you a histologic status and absolute proof that either everything is o.k. or not. there are risks with the procedure but in the hands of a well trained and skillful doctor they are nothing to worry about; unless of course you possess certain risk factors. do discuss this with your doctor again as he may add to his explanation and he may be absolutely correct in his handling of your case. good luck, mitchell

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If they are pencil thin all the time that may be a problem.However anything that would cause that would have been picked up in the barium enema or the sigmoidoscopy or the CT scan. The colonoscopy picks up things further up in the GI tract, but only stuff at the part seen by the sigmoidoscopy would be likely to cause pencil thin stools as that is the area where the stool is solid enough to be effected. Up where the stool is mostly liquid not much would effect the final shape.For the most part unformed-ness and other shape problems are not significant, but if you've never had GI problems and the stool goes to pencil thin all the time then you should consult your doctor about it.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If they are pencil thin all the time that may be a problem.However anything that would cause that would have been picked up in the barium enema or the sigmoidoscopy or the CT scan. The colonoscopy picks up things further up in the GI tract, but only stuff at the part seen by the sigmoidoscopy would be likely to cause pencil thin stools as that is the area where the stool is solid enough to be effected. Up where the stool is mostly liquid not much would effect the final shape.For the most part unformed-ness and other shape problems are not significant, but if you've never had GI problems and the stool goes to pencil thin all the time then you should consult your doctor about it.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi.Mike.What do you mean by small trouble areas that the barium might miss?I assume that if there was a polyp this would have shown on the BE if the problem was significant to cause me loose stools.I must admit hat I have been suffering will loose stools without much relief from day one 18 months ago and have 'spoken 'with Karl 2001 who lives in thStates who had the same tests as me ie, BE and sigmoidoscopy.This sort of info does tend to worry you after such a long time of being told that there's nothing wrong.Thanks.AndyThanks.Andy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi.Mike.What do you mean by small trouble areas that the barium might miss?I assume that if there was a polyp this would have shown on the BE if the problem was significant to cause me loose stools.I must admit hat I have been suffering will loose stools without much relief from day one 18 months ago and have 'spoken 'with Karl 2001 who lives in thStates who had the same tests as me ie, BE and sigmoidoscopy.This sort of info does tend to worry you after such a long time of being told that there's nothing wrong.Thanks.AndyThanks.Andy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kmottus?Should I have a colonoscopy in your opinion?I have a variable pain under the left rib area (splenic flex?) and have had the stated tests. I suffer from loose or slender stools and have done for 18 months. Anxiety is a problem and this sort of well intentioned information is a worry.What do you do?All my bloods are normal also.Thanks.Andy

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kmottus?Should I have a colonoscopy in your opinion?I have a variable pain under the left rib area (splenic flex?) and have had the stated tests. I suffer from loose or slender stools and have done for 18 months. Anxiety is a problem and this sort of well intentioned information is a worry.What do you do?All my bloods are normal also.Thanks.Andy

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
With all the tests you have had, as long as they were normal, and your pretty much having "normal" IBS symptoms your probably OK.Now if you start having bloody diarhea, unexplainable weight loss (like you eat 3500-5000 calories a day or more and lose weight and are sedentary to moderately active--if your training for an extreme endurance sport that may explain losing weight even when you eat large amounts of food) become anemic, you may need to go back to have the colonoscopy.The problem comes in that often time large amounts of testing tends to make IBS patients worse so you get to a point of diminishing returns. What is the likelyhood it will find something vs what is the likelyhood of a problem directly related to the test (perferation, etc) and the likelyhood that doing more tests will make the IBS symptoms worse.Everyone (including doctors) weights that equation a bit differntly, and for some people the peace of mind of having every concievable test be negative is worth it, although some people find that getting the negative result, again, is more upsetting than calming.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html[This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 08-13-2001).]

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
With all the tests you have had, as long as they were normal, and your pretty much having "normal" IBS symptoms your probably OK.Now if you start having bloody diarhea, unexplainable weight loss (like you eat 3500-5000 calories a day or more and lose weight and are sedentary to moderately active--if your training for an extreme endurance sport that may explain losing weight even when you eat large amounts of food) become anemic, you may need to go back to have the colonoscopy.The problem comes in that often time large amounts of testing tends to make IBS patients worse so you get to a point of diminishing returns. What is the likelyhood it will find something vs what is the likelyhood of a problem directly related to the test (perferation, etc) and the likelyhood that doing more tests will make the IBS symptoms worse.Everyone (including doctors) weights that equation a bit differntly, and for some people the peace of mind of having every concievable test be negative is worth it, although some people find that getting the negative result, again, is more upsetting than calming.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html[This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 08-13-2001).]

·
Registered
511 Posts
the barium enema and the ct scan are only as good as the preparation before the test, the technician performing the test and the radiologist interpreting the test. by small trouble areas i mean tiny polyps, tiny ulcerated areas or other things that i as an uneducated person with regards to this material am unaware of. andy, there are no absolutes in medicine just odds. don't worry, just make sure that your doctor is being thorough enough for the situation at hand.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts