Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
511 Posts
penciling of the stool has long been thought of as a significant finding and perhaps an indication that something might be wrong in the colon. that doesn't mean that you have a problem but that it should be mentioned to your doctor. i am a bit puzzled as to why you haven't had the most definitive test, the colonoscopy, when it sounds like you've had just about everything else? continue to look at your stools unless flux would have you ship them to him for inspection!

· Registered
511 Posts
penciling of the stool has long been thought of as a significant finding and perhaps an indication that something might be wrong in the colon. that doesn't mean that you have a problem but that it should be mentioned to your doctor. i am a bit puzzled as to why you haven't had the most definitive test, the colonoscopy, when it sounds like you've had just about everything else? continue to look at your stools unless flux would have you ship them to him for inspection!

· Registered
511 Posts
andy, here in the states we have been doing colonoscopies for probably about 25 years. actually visualizing the colon with fiberoptic apparatus affords the doctor the opportunity to perhaps detect small trouble areas that the barium enema might miss. in addition he will take numerous biopsies to actually give you a histologic status and absolute proof that either everything is o.k. or not. there are risks with the procedure but in the hands of a well trained and skillful doctor they are nothing to worry about; unless of course you possess certain risk factors. do discuss this with your doctor again as he may add to his explanation and he may be absolutely correct in his handling of your case. good luck, mitchell

· Registered
511 Posts
andy, here in the states we have been doing colonoscopies for probably about 25 years. actually visualizing the colon with fiberoptic apparatus affords the doctor the opportunity to perhaps detect small trouble areas that the barium enema might miss. in addition he will take numerous biopsies to actually give you a histologic status and absolute proof that either everything is o.k. or not. there are risks with the procedure but in the hands of a well trained and skillful doctor they are nothing to worry about; unless of course you possess certain risk factors. do discuss this with your doctor again as he may add to his explanation and he may be absolutely correct in his handling of your case. good luck, mitchell

· Registered
511 Posts
the barium enema and the ct scan are only as good as the preparation before the test, the technician performing the test and the radiologist interpreting the test. by small trouble areas i mean tiny polyps, tiny ulcerated areas or other things that i as an uneducated person with regards to this material am unaware of. andy, there are no absolutes in medicine just odds. don't worry, just make sure that your doctor is being thorough enough for the situation at hand.

· Registered
511 Posts
the barium enema and the ct scan are only as good as the preparation before the test, the technician performing the test and the radiologist interpreting the test. by small trouble areas i mean tiny polyps, tiny ulcerated areas or other things that i as an uneducated person with regards to this material am unaware of. andy, there are no absolutes in medicine just odds. don't worry, just make sure that your doctor is being thorough enough for the situation at hand.

· Registered
511 Posts
andy, make sure that you keep in mind that nobody here is an expert capable of telling you whether or not you should have any testing or no testing at all. anyone who does so is perpetrating a great disservice to you. what we as fellow posters can contribute to your cause are only questions for you to ask your doctor based on our own experiences.

· Registered
511 Posts
andy, make sure that you keep in mind that nobody here is an expert capable of telling you whether or not you should have any testing or no testing at all. anyone who does so is perpetrating a great disservice to you. what we as fellow posters can contribute to your cause are only questions for you to ask your doctor based on our own experiences.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.