Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ever since I can remember I have always had bad nasal problems, I had an adenoidectomy some years ago (don't quite remember when), and it didn't really seem to help =/The problem is that I can barely breathe through my nose, even though my body tries to, so I am forced to breathe through my mouth to fall asleep. Would this possibly lead to swallowing a lot of air and thus having gas pains?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It might, but if the breathing problems during sleep are disrupting your sleep patterns that by itself could increase IBS symptoms like pain.Gas is not the one and only reason for pain so sometimes chasing the gas theory doesn't end up doing much good if colon activity is what is causing the pain and that goes on gas or not.You can have a lot of gas even if you don't swallow any (or only the normal amount) as the bacteria in the colon make more than enough.Have you ever tried the Breathe Right Nasal Strips. Sometimes that support helps keep things open enough you can breath better. It may also be worth getting the nose checked out again and also see if you need to treat any allergies or something like that.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've had an adenoidectomy as a child and I can tell you it solved none of my breathing problems either! Now that we're on it I can tell you they performed that on me without sedation and it's probably one of the most terrible experiences of my childhood. Sometimes the adenoids are not the only cause of the breathing issues. Years after that another doctor checked me out. I went to him to see if my adenoids had grown back, which happens a lot of the times. He said no, but I have a deviated septum! And this can also give you breathing problems. He said it can be fixed with surgery. Oh well, I never went to have the surgery ... I think in time I actually got used to not being able to breath through my nose properly all of the time and it doesn't bother me that much anymore. But I think that, if you have big problems with it, you should check it out and see if you have a deviated septum or not and get that fixed

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
My deviated septum was bad enough that it completely disrupted my sleep cycle and that caused all sorts of healthe problems.I had to be on a CPAP machine at night to sleep until the fixed my septum. Now I sleep enough at night I don't fall asleep during the day, don't hallucinate when I micro dream while driving (that is a fun one, luckily it was just seeing someone or something standing on the side of the road for a moment or two), don't have elevated hemoglobin levels, and it did give me mild fibromyalgia and IBS symptoms (although I didn't get bad IBS until later).If you have excessive daytime sleepiness you may need to get it fixed. Screwing up your sleep year after year after year isn't good for you, especially if you are getting low enough oxygen levels to effect your blood work.

·
Registered
317 Posts
WOW! I never thought about it, that it can give you such huge problems....I treated it as a trivial matter
I will certainly look into this!When I was a child, I fell one day and hit my face against a huge rock....broken lips, fissure up to the nose etc. They did not take me to the hospital, thought it was something that would heal by itself. And it did but I reckon that's when my nose got messed up as well...hmmmmm!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I know I cracked the cartilage while horse back riding. The horse and I had different ideas about which side to pass the tree (I said the side with the jump, horse wanted to go around the jump).The tree won. I did get X-rays but there wasn't much they could do, but I suspect that didn't help.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now that we're on it I can tell you they performed that on me without sedation
I'm really confused here. Surgeons don't perform any sort of operation without anesthesia...What do you mean "performed that on me without sedation"?

·
Registered
317 Posts
AmericanPatriot : in fact yes, there used to be parts of the world where they DID perform surgery without anesthesia...mostly because they had no anesthetic! But it's a really long story.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.