Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Community Manager
13,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this article was in today's issue of Medscape GI news: "natural bowel recipe more effective than fiber supplement in reducing straining"the bowel recipe consists of wheat bran, applesauce and prune juice and according to the study, it was found helpful in reducing straining in women with pelvic floor dysfunction.here is the link for the exact recipe and detailshttp://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/546417?src=mp

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Have you tried wheat bran alone?

·
Community Manager
13,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh yeah, i've been eating wheat bran mixed in with cereal and milk daily for over 30 yrs. through trial and error i've found that three tbl is about right--too much just gives me more gas and too little won't move things at all. i have to mix it in with something though--can't eat it by itself, if that's what you mean? for me, it works better than the commercial fiber products and it's not as pricey either.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have been using wheat bran for several years,mixing 1/4 cup bran with either yogurt or applesauce, then cooking in microwave for one minute. This plus daily magnesium oxide works about 90 percent of the time, with stimulant laxative once about every 4-6 weeks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.