Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
hello! wondering if anyone's ever had a similar reaction to something i've been getting recently. i've had IBS-D for over a decade and know full well that you're not supposed to drink with IBS and for the most part i don't, but the odd time that i do i generally drink in moderation and get away with it. if i eat something (even a small sandwich) after drinking one or two drinks however some unholy hell unleashes in my stomach. symptoms are extreme, prolonged nausea (but i don't actually vomit) which usually keeps me up all night and a hard, swollen stomach. i find it bizzare that i can eat earlier before drinking and be fine but if i eat after i'm in a bad way for at least a day. obviously i never ever drink on an empty stomach! i always eat before i go out but usually have a snack when i come home & that's when the problem occurs. i do plan on avoiding it in future but was curious if any other ibs-ers have experienced something similar? thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey,I have the same reaction for the most part -- I can usually handle one alcoholic drink if I'm lucky, but anything more is bad news. Eating before bed has almost always worsened my pain. I try to have bowel movements before going to bed otherwise I feel like the past 3 meals are sitting undigested in my stomach, and it hurts. If you haven't already, try drinking metamusil before or after your drink/meal. I find that helps me to have bowel movements before I go to bed, so it's all out of there and I can sleep better. And if you drink too much feel like you have to vomit, do it! (If you can). Before I realized I had IBS and was drinking, I would go to parties, feel like absolute ######, but after puking, everything would be fine. Of course, you could just avoid drinking altogether, which is what I have ended up doing. Though if I have *something*, red wine is best on my stomach.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.