Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else experience episodes of chills so extreme they're almost convulsions? Maybe three or four times a year I get these almost out of nowhere. It starts with nausea, progresses into the chills, and lasts around 2 hours. My IBS is almost exclusively worse at night. Is this usual?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Have you discussed these symptoms with your Dr?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Hi,These are not IBS symptoms. It would be a good idea to discuss with your dr. and see if they could run some tests.xoxo

G

·
Ditto on the talk to your doctor.I had chills and nausea like that when I had food poisoning. That's what started my IBS. I was better for a while, and then my IBS relapsed really badly. I eventually had a lot of trouble with nausea, abdominal pain, and gas pretty much all the time. Then, very rarely, I'd get an especially bad episode with the same awful chills where I could NOT stop shivering and my teeth chattered so badly it hurt. I never actually threw up, but I'd end up camped out on the bathroom floor waiting for it. A couple of hours later, I'd be exhausted but the chills would be gone and the nausea would be back to normal. In my case, I ended up being diagnosed with hookworms, campylobacter, and h. pylori. I got treated for those and most of my symptoms disappeared. So far the chills haven't been back.Not saying you have the same thing, but definitely those kinds of symptoms are worth mentioning to your doctor, especially if they're recurrent.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I am wondering if this could be signs of infection, do you know if you have diverticulosis which can become diverticulitis when infected? This could give you the nausea and chills. But I agree, you need to see a doctor. Sometimes infections can clear on their own but sometimes they can worsen and if it is something like diverticulitis it needs to be dealt with right away because you don't want it to become serious.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been getting the chills, and nausea for years...when i have a "normal" episode of ibs, i do not....but when i'm really really "sick" with "whatever" it is, i do get terrible chills, nausea, diareaha , the works. I have NO idea what causes this. I've been tested for everything under the sun, and everything comes up "normal"...i've seen numerous types of doctors, and they are all stumped as to why this happens. I've tried many meds and nothing works. I am clueless as to why this happens. It's very discouraging, and frustrating. I am going through it now. I hate it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I had episodes for months after the sudden death of my mother, when I was 39 (long time ago), that would start with chills, then I'd get lightheaded, then came the diarrhea, and finally a transient low-grade fever. The whole thing would span maybe 30 minutes. I was worked up extensively. In the end my internist gave up and told me to cut down on caffeine. I cut it out completely, and the attacks stopped.There's little question that I have had IBS all my life--my colon is spastic even when I'm sedated for a colonoscopy. I look back on those episodes as a special IBS flavor of panic attack. Agree with TVgirl that chronic diverticulitis (which I also seem to have) is a consideration, but if you have already been to a gastroenterologist as your last message suggests, that should already have been ruled out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts