Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone...I'm new and I've got a question.I have been battling IBS for about 3 years now, although after careful examination of my childhood and teen years, I think I've always had it. At the beginning, my main symptoms varied from severe diarrhea, constipation, stomach cramps, and nausea and vomiting. They did all of the routine tests and found nothing out of the ordinary. I was just wondering if anyone else experienced nausea and vomiting as a symptom of IBS. It is extremely frustrating when it happens...I just feel so sick, but once I throw up I feel much better. I've found that dramamine (over the counter) helps get rid of the nausea, but it turns me into a sleeping zombie for the next 12 hours or so. I was just wondering if I was the only one experiencing it...my doctors don't have any answers other than I have a rare case.

·
Registered
20 Posts
quote:I was just wondering if anyone else experienced nausea and vomiting as a symptom of IBS.
I suffered with nausea (on the verge of vomiting) 24/7 for nearly a year. I tried several nausea meds including an extremely expensive one for cancer patients, all to no avail. Like you most of them put me to sleep and with two small children that just wasn't working out too well. I to even tried Dramamine, it knocked me right out!My nausea come to find out was being caused by reflux. None of my doctors had ever heard of nausea caused by reflux so that is why it took so long to treat me. I'm talking nausea so bad I would pace the floor hyperventilating trying to get through the waves of nausea and bawling my eyes out. It was total torture if you ask me! I might as well have been in pain with how it was making me feel. When do you feel nauseated? Does it wake you up in the middle of the night? Does it get better when you are upright? When you can eat, does it get better? Have you been checked for reflux at all?I'm nausea free now thanks to nexium! I hope you find some answers for yourself.

G

·
Just like you Nauseaqueen, I have had nausea from reflux. It was my GI Doc that suggested Zantac and my nausea is gone. If I forget to take the Zantac my nausea returns along with other reflux symptoms. Char

·
Registered
20 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Gardentime1:Just like you Nauseaqueen, I have had nausea from reflux. It was my GI Doc that suggested Zantac and my nausea is gone. If I forget to take the Zantac my nausea returns along with other reflux symptoms. Char
Oh I'm the same way if I miss a dose of Nexium! I find I get better results taking my dose right before bed. If I forget to take it I am up in the middle of the night with the nausea letting me know I forgot to take it! My other symptom is it feels like someone has stabbed me with a knife from my sternum through to my back
no burning though and it never goes higher or lower than my sternum. I can also feel this if I eat too late and go to bed too soon afterwards.

G

·
Hey NQ, that is very interesting and I generally take my Zantac during the day. Starting in the morning, otherwise the nausea kicks in after breakfast and will continue most of the day. Along with some substernal pain and other annoying reflux symptoms. Char

·
Registered
25 Posts
YES! I have experienced severe nausea. Some days I can not eat..like today. My doctor put me on reglan which is not really doing anything! I understand how frustrating this is. This is the worst I have ever felt. Mine started with diarrhea and now it is horrible nausea. I am scared to eat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My nausea usually occurs in the evening. It never really wakes me up. My doctor thinks that certain foods just don't agree with me and I just have to learn which ones not to eat. I had a really bad case last week. I ate a chunk of fudge (I'm slightly lactose intolerant) and about an hour later I was miserable. I ended up throwing it up...I didn't take the dramamine fast enough. I felt better the minute after I threw up, which is frustrating because although I knew that throwing up would make me feel better...I didn't want to do it. My body obviously had another agenda.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That is horrible. Sometimes I wonder if throwing up would make me feel better than dealing with the the 2 hr bouts of sever nausea..BlAH I think it has a lot to do with what time i eat too. I eat small meals a day and I am starving by 9Pm, but i shouldn't eat that late and i do.. Well the doc has me on Reglan for nausea which does so-so and on prilosec for acid, then it's zelnorm if the other stuff doesn't work. My stomach does not like me

·
Registered
888 Posts
I've been feeling really nauseous all week and i have no idea what's causing it.when i used to feel sick in the past i used to take metoclopramide which worked. i got some more from the doctor last week and it hasn't helped me at all this week. i have exams at the moment too and it's interferring with them. i started taking the birth control pill again last week...so could it be that?! nausea is worse than vomiting when you have a tummy bug because at least u know they'll be an end to it!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is metoclopramide the same as reglan? I am on the same thing and it really does not offer relief. I wake up every morning and feel sick to my stomach and I take the reglan and it helps however, the minute I eat I am sick again. It would be wonderful to have a day that everything digests. Nausea is horrible and I feel horrible for you. It hope that we can find a way to stop this.My doc wants to put me zelnorm which will regulate bm's, but will it help with nausea?

·
Registered
888 Posts
thanks for the reply. ive never taken zelnorm...i take a low dose anti depressant which helped the anxiety 2 yrs ago and i still take it now and it DOES help...but in the past week ive been really nauseous. i havent vomitted, but feel like i will. i woke up in the middle of the night last night feeling like i was about to vomit. surely i would have vomitted now if i was going to?metoclopramide could be the english name for what your taking too. its 10mg tablet and used to work great. just in the past week it hasnt helped at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.