Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 weeks before I get my period I seem to get really bad nausea, and feel like I have the flu, then it will go away during or sometimes after. And it started when I started this IBS. Also very bad cramps now and never had bad cramps before. Just wondering if that is normal and if somebody else feels the same? I wonder if birth control pills would help?Billie

·
Registered
86 Posts
i am right there with ya billie!it seems to me that the majority of my physical complaints are related to my cycle...i never want to go on birth control so i have been working on this issue for a few years now and have come up with lots of things that help me out:(be warned the following contains natural remedies....and....*gasp* herbs!)1. for the nausea i use peppermint tea, peppermint lozenges, ginger tea, ginger candy, ginger capsules, stay hydrated, breathe deep, always keep a little snack in my tummy2. i drink PMS tea by Traditional Medicinals every morning....its dark and like coffee if you stretch your imagination...it contains dandelion root which is a liver stimulant (if the liver is choking on processing hormones, the processing of your meals seems to take second priority...leading to C or D and nausea) the tea also has herbs that reliever water retention and cramps..3. i take an herb called vitex (or chasteberry) which regulates your hormonal balance and relieved sore breasts, bloating and backaches for me...you have to take it every day for at least a month for it to work the best4. Calcium! if you are IBS-D and haven't tried caltrate yet now would be a good time to start...besides the effect if has on your colon, calcium is a natural muscle relaxant that eases pain, especially cramps etc...if you are IBS-C then just get some kind of calcium...every woman should be taking it you know!5. exercise, yoga etc.. helps regulate the hormones (and the bowels)6. i'm currently trying out a theory that taking advil before my period starts will block prostaglandins that cause problems...we will see if this works all too soon (like tomorrow) i know that advil definitely helps me during, but i would rather use herbs if i can..so there's my meager wisdom, i hope it helps somebodyxomm

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have heard from two of my good friends who also suffer from IBS that they have experienced a very gradual, but significant improvement of their symptoms after being on the pill. I've even been thinking of trying it myself, as my nausea also gets really bad before my period. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.