Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to forum. Was wondering if anyone gets bad nausea from IBS that makes you feel sick all the time? I take ginger, pepermint gels, and acidophilus. Also take reglan when it makes me feel real bad.I feel like a psycho that I always feel sick. I also suffer from emetophobia which is the fear of vomiting so this disease is ruining my life and marriage.I am just looking for some success stories. My stomach also always makes loud rumbling noises and I just want it to stop now.I also have noticed about 1 week before my period it is the worst, nausea, cramps, crappy feeling. I cannot even go on a diet because I can hardly eat now.Please share your thoughts.Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a bit of emetophobia too, because of a silly childhood incident (and it didn't happen to me but to another kid!). Fortunately I only get the nausea feeling when I am having anxiety issues or an anxiety attack. I think there's a good chance that since you suffer from the phobia of vomiting, that you make your nausea much worse by freaking out about it. It's a vicious cycle and I completely understand.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I also get nausea very bad at times. I also think i am emetophobic. I mean who enjoys vomiting! But the thought of it scares me...mainly because i choke when i do it..and i mean i choke badly, really struggle to get my breath back!There are lots of anti nausea drugs on the market...try some they may work, you never know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I personally know all too well how you feel with the nausea (I'm also emetophobic) as I have suffered from it constantly since I was 9 (I'm now almost 16.) My story is very long...but in short I suffer from extremelly severe pain 24/7, nausea, D, bleeding, chronic fevers, migraines, weight loss/always underweight, and joint pain. I've been through lots of tests and finally a year ago they were sure it was Crohn's disease started me on high dose prednisone I started to feel better then just weeks later decided it wasn't it was all in my head (eating disorder cause I'm a teen girl) things took a turn for the worse. I have come close to death many times due to being misdiagnosed. I have/am diagnosed with IBS but have tried all treatments and they have all failed (including radical diet changes, hypnotherapy, relaxation therapy, regular therapy, every type of medication, ect...) so I'm not so convinced on that diagnosis at the moment.My 1st nausea medicine was phenergan which did work ok at first but made me sleepy and I became easily immuned to it. My 2nd that I had recived in the hospital many times was Reglan worked ok on it's own but amazing with Zofran. Well at first they thought I was having a stroke so I had a doctor come in and check me out (I had lost control of the right side of my face.) Minutes later my face started swelling, then I couldn't breath well, once a doctor came back in they said I was severely allergic to Reglan and gave me a shot right away. So even though I had taken it many times before it built up in my system and now I can't take it anymore.After that my nausea med was just Zofran 4mg 3x a day. For quite a while that did the trick of easing it. I still supplement/ed with ginger inbetween as well as chew pepermint gum/candy. Recently my weight has dropped about 10lbs leaving me severely underweight and on the verge of having to be hospitalized so I tried Ultram for the pain which doesn't help a lot but it made me nauseous so I couldn't eat. So now I took Zofran 8mg 3x a day and am a lot less nauseous! What I like about Zofran is that it doesn't make you sleepy and now relives my nausea! Hope this helps!

·
Registered
85 Posts
This is a recent thread so I will post this here too hoping it will help solve your IBS mystery too.TO ALL IBS SUFFERERS - Listen Up This Could Be Very Important To YouUPDATING JERI'S CONDITION From Posts on 6-13-09 thru 8-30-09 Remember the discussed IBS and food poisonings of my wife, Jeri from past postings under this thread (go back & read them if you haven't yet) . . .6 weeks after her Mid-July - second round of anti-biotic prescription for Xifanan and Neomycin, her symptoms of continuous nausea, IBS, and lower right-side rib cage pain returned slowly at first and then with a vengeance by Oct-Nov. By that time Jeri could barely exercise or stand very long. Eating anything became a big problem as she again became continually weak, and exhausted so . . .. . . In December we scheduled her into the IBS Treatment Center in Seattle where she was decidedly tested for the Standard Food Allergy Panel for both IgG and IgE antibodies AND the New, Improved Stool Testing using DNA Microbial Profiles for bacteria, yeast, and parasites. The results 30 days later showed plenty of food sensitivities (allergies) AND the only bacteria that showed an abnormally high reading was H. Pylori and that was all. That made sense to us since she had previously dealt with two bouts of food poisoning.Jeri dealt with trying to rid the unhealthy H. Pylori bacteria first and was prescribed two different anti-biotics to deal with this special type of bacteria overgrowth . . . 250mg Flagyl, 500mg Amoxicillin, and Pepto Bismol as a stomach soother if needed (which she didn't need). plus L-glutamine as a digestive tract healer, and fish oil. These drugs were taken twice a day for 2 weeks and very easy on her other than a sore throat side-effect. It is very important when taking Flagyl not to use any type alcohol with it nor use alcohol-based skin lotions, oils, etc. or you could have a very tough time.Now since the medications are over and only eating foods that don't bother her, she once again is like a new person . . . nausea completely gone, lower right rib cage pain mostly vanished, and she is again exercising, walking inclines and buttes, etc. Jeri is also taking medium doses of healthy pro-biotics from the IBS Center each day now too.Will this mostly symptom-free woman now remain that way without re-treatment? By eating mostly foods her body can deal with and hoping the H.Pylori have mostly vanished, we certainly hope so and will post it here if she doesn't.IT IS IMPORTANT to note here that long-term food poisoning from eating out or at home can elevate all IBS symptoms to more and more severe with time. An advanced method of testing using DNA Microbial Profiles could discover your problem where all other tests you have taken through normal medical procedures won't show a thing wrong . . . and the newer series of advanced blood work for food allergies will show what foods react in your body. These tests taken together just might take the mystery out of your IBS and help you heal. Be aware that most medical practices probably don't use these advanced testing methods so be sure to thoroughly ask or check into the IBS Center in Seattle and use this special place to your advantage.In2day

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
DAD
This is a recent thread so I will post this here too hoping it will help solve your IBS mystery too.
You may have been better off just a posting a NEW thread of your own instead of putting this here.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
EcipelyHi. I have been a fellow emmet since i was 9 years old. i completely understand how you feel and whet you go through every day. but there is hope. have you tried Clinical hypnotism or EFT or CBT? they can have a very positive effect on us emmets. (sadly none of it helped me, but apparently i am a rarity!) here is a list of things that i have tried over the years for constant nausea. im sure you have tried them all but you never know!1.. A prokinetic. Motilium or metoclopramide. motilium (Domperidone) isnt available in the U.S but is available in canada by mail order. it speeds up the transit of food through the stomach and digestive system and kills nausea for about 4 hours at a time. it dosent cause an upset stomach either.2.. Pepto bismol (OTC)3.. Gaviscon (OTC)4.. Ginger tea is realy really good.5.. deep abdominal breathing slowly6.. avoiding triger foods that upset your stomach, and avoiding high acidity foods.7.. sipping coca cola helps. i dont know what ingreedient it is but there is something in coke that deals with nausea. (Honestly, google it!!)8.. vitamin B12 suppliments help intrinsic factor in the stomach, which can help all sorts of stomach problems.9.. a good but mild probiotic either in yoghurt or capsual form. you may feel initially worse but after a few days to a few weeks you may see some stunning differences. stay away from pre biotics though, alot of people dont get on with them. trial and error i guess.10.. Mint tea can help, but on the other hand it can also make things worse, so again it is trial and error.11. eating smaller meals, or as i have taken to doing, grazing on food through out the day. this dosent suit everybody, but it works for my stomach. try it and see.12.. making sure that you are adequately hydrated. dehydratiion to any extent can cause nausea and it wont go away untill you have rehydrated. took me a long time to work this out.13.. anxiety and worry/panic can also cause nausia. i know its a viscious circle but try and stay calm, think about something else, do a cross word, plan a round the world trip, anything that diverts your mind from focusing on how you are feeling. this can be easier said than done!14.. SEA BANDS. use teh P6 Pressure points on teh inner wrists. cheap and available in most pharmacys and on ebay. they work extremely well for 80% of people.15.. eating something dry like toast or a cracker. dosent always work, but worth a try.16.. DO NOT SMOKE. if you somek, stay off em untill teh nausea passes. having a smoke will create more stomach acid and loosen teh sphinctor at the top of the stomach which wont help things.17.. ANTI HYSTEMINES. taking some pyriton or benadryl may help. hope you get some relief soon.Ian

·
Registered
293 Posts
I too am emetophobic and feel sick virtually 24/7 because of my IBS. I take Metoclopramide which has been a life saver.I've tried everything to help it, ginger, pepto bismol, charcoal capsules, sea bands, B complex etc and nothing at all helps. I think my nausea is worse because I'm always focusing on it because of my fear and anxiety.The charcoal capsules are good for stopping the rumbling, they help a lot with trapped gas. Mine only cost me £2.99 for 100 capsules which last about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I to have chronic nausea. I have had IBS-D for over 20 years. It started with a bout of food poisening. I have done the antibotic therapy, hypnotherapy, counseling, antidepressant (made me so sick I ended up in the ER). They have done every test in the book. I have also been to a Chiropractic Internest who has done bacteria testing, food intolerence testing (I cut out those foods with still no sucess). My D is under control with Lotronex, my nausea was gone the first 9 mo with it, but then came back. I have a perscription for Zofran, but it doesn't do much for me. I have gone to more Dr's with not answers either. I am underweight also. Even those 9 months I felt good I couldn't gain more than a couple of pounds.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
2korkids Have you tried any Ginger capsules by any chance?

·
Registered
85 Posts
BOAt the time we posted this in 2 other threads also, so felt it was enough for a few to see, but for many to see . . ??Originally this health profile began in the thread under "A New IBS Solution, Marc Pimental - Does it work?" . . . as that is the treatment we were discussing and following at the time, but has since changed even though the discussion still somewhat continues there. You are probably correct that last year it should have originally began under a new thread.DAD

·
Registered
85 Posts
2korkidsThe long term effects of food poisoning you could now be experiencing as you say that's how it all began.You say you were checked for bacteria by a chiropractic internist, but that doesn't mean anything since their type of testing may have missed it or even never picked it up and you were dealing with an internist anyway which could make a difference.As it was just explained to me, even a large number of conventional medical testing can miss this . . . so to be more sure of catching any bacteria, yeast, or parasites that could still be causing you problems from your initial or more recent food poisonings, check in at the Seattle-based IBS Center and use the more Advanced DNA Microbial stool testing along with whatever blood testing is recommended by them. They are known to help improve the health of 80-90% of their patients, and if food poisoning bacteria is still plaguing you, they should surely find it and name it and help you rid it. We were just there and in case you missed my post above on this thread, scroll up and read it. My wife has just been dealing with the same worsening symptoms from food poisonings in the past plus other gi disturbances from food allergies. . . and nausea was a big one for her too.Hope this helps!DAD

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would love to be part of this discussion re nausea.
I too suffer from what is termed Functional Nausea as part of IBS....doctor at UCSF said no biological reason.
I use Zofran.
Do we get cc's here when someone posts new on the topic?
It was hard to find this thread.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone experience worsening nausea when on the computer?
I can be nausea free and get ont he computer, and the nausea will start with my Functional Nausea and IBS diagnosis.
It's such a drag....Right now I'm just toughing it out to type this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts