Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else here have a problem with drinking fluids? Everything I drink makes me sick to my stomach, most especially water! And there's only so much peppermint tea one can drink.....thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I assumed Mint tea was just as effective..........anyway, at this point, even the tea is upsetting my stomach, I"m going back to my gastro dr because I can't drink or eat anything today.....but thank you, btw, I absolultely loathe ginger..lol
Are you a physician? I believe ginger tea is hard to find, isn't it?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I have a Ph.D, not an MD, so I am not a physician.You could try ginger capsules if you can't tolerate the taste.Ginger tea is pretty easy to make from fresh. Just a couple of thin slices of peeled ginger root (many groceries carry ginger root) in some hot water and let it brew for 5-15 minutes (you can simmer on the stove if you prefer, especially for longer, stronger tea).Peppermint is more of an antispasmodic, and can loosen up the sphincter at the top of the stomach increasing reflux issues for some people. It tends to be used more for colon pain than for nausea. Ginger has a different mode of action and is mostly used for nausea, not pain relief.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a Ph.D, not an MD, so I am not a physician.You could try ginger capsules if you can't tolerate the taste.Ginger tea is pretty easy to make from fresh. Just a couple of thin slices of peeled ginger root (many groceries carry ginger root) in some hot water and let it brew for 5-15 minutes (you can simmer on the stove if you prefer, especially for longer, stronger tea).Peppermint is more of an antispasmodic, and can loosen up the sphincter at the top of the stomach increasing reflux issues for some people. It tends to be used more for colon pain than for nausea. Ginger has a different mode of action and is mostly used for nausea, not pain relief.
oh wow, thanks. I Just sent my hubby out to buy some tea. I do get thirsty and everything else seems to make me feel worse...have you heard of anyone having trouble just drinking water? Sounds so odd to me, this is mostly brought on by anti depressants I've been taking, the side effects and I do think it's making my IBS much worse. Thanks again, I will let you know how the ginger tea works out. I forgot that many people take ginger capsules for seasickness....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh wow, thanks. I Just sent my hubby out to buy some tea. I do get thirsty and everything else seems to make me feel worse...have you heard of anyone having trouble just drinking water? Sounds so odd to me, this is mostly brought on by anti depressants I've been taking, the side effects and I do think it's making my IBS much worse. Thanks again, I will let you know how the ginger tea works out. I forgot that many people take ginger capsules for seasickness....
Thank you again, I didn't care for the tes, but I think the capsules are helping a little.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.