Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the allergy season is in full blast i have noticed that along with the same ole same ole IBS D, I have been getting a lot of nausea, I get a lot of drainage from my sinus and just wonder if that could be causing the nausea?? I have an appt. with the gi doc who will probably upper scope me in Sept. I have gerd and barretts, so I am long overdue for one. I just hate soooo much to get either of these scopes. A friend of mine get very ill after an upper scope, vomited all night got dehydrated and had to inthe hospital for days. Now I am very scared to get one!!!

· Registered
517 Posts
Hi knothappy,You may be right about the nausea and the sinus drainage, I have hayfever too and my nausea is worse in this season. I drink gingertea to help with the nausea. Steaming will help a bit with keeping the sinuses open and better drained.Haven't had an upper scope for a long, long time, but please don't get all worried about it (I know, better said than done). For every horror story about a medical procedure I'm sure there are hundreds of happy stories about those, but they usually don't get told.Hope all goes well for you,Fay :love:

· Registered
70 Posts
Hi KnotIt's end of winter here and wattle season has begun ... matter of fact my neighbour has a beautiful tree in his front yard .. all the pollen gets blown into my place and I am sooooo allergic to wattle. One night I may rent a flame thrower and get rid of all those blossoms .. (joke) beautiful as they are. Yes the post nasal drip does make me nauseous and I take anti-histamines for it. There are some that don't make you drowsy. You get to the point where you think I can't take one more pill, but they the symptoms win over. My theory is "don't suffer something if you don't have to ... there are enough things you can't control without buying problems" ... I have found that honey from bees that prefer wattle actually helps a little - but that is cause my allergy is to wattle. Try not to worry about the scope ... last time I had one I had no problems at all. Usually I get really sick from the prep, but someone told me to have barley sugar on hand. After each glass of prep (which I drink holding my nose so I don't get the taste) I pop a barley sugar in my mouth. It is very soothing and makes no difference to the clean out or the scope. Sure makes the prep easier to handle .... careful if you are diabetic though. There are barley sugar flavoured diabetic candies too. Hope you feel better soon.Kristy

· Registered
23,788 Posts
Knothappy, they know that histimine can trigger and effect the gi track.Your frineds experience may not mean that you will have such a bad experience.Working yourself up will effect your gut also on this, worrying about the testing.I do hope you feel better and its good your being checked out.

· Registered
6,709 Posts
KNOTS:Take a peek at something I posted here: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...ic;f=1;t=028696 Also keep in mind that if you have certain inhalnt allergies there are specific foods which can be cross-reactive with crtain inhalants so when you get expsoed to the primary allergen and get those symptoms, you can get an allergic reaction as wel from the cross-reactive foods.The book by Brostoff I listed in that post has a list of common cross-reactive foods and inhalants in it.MNL

· Registered
919 Posts
I have found this to be the case for me as well. I don't know, I just figured because I swallow more from the post nasal drip that perhaps I was swallowing more air as well.Hmmm, I'll have to check out Mike's link. Very interesting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.