Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm reading threads about olive oil and how good it is for you.How do they work, and which is better?I take something called "Essential Balance - Fresh pressed organic oil blend" by "Omega Nutrition". Source of Essential Fatty Acids 1:1 ratio omega-6 to omega-3. Good, good stuff. The ingredients are: Unrefined certified organic oils of Flax, sunflower, sesame, pumpkin and borage. Two points before I forget:julia41:
quote: The IBS C patient doesn't have the abilityto manufacture the Hydrochloric Acid andthis is why you need to take an edibleacid.
I am an IBS C patient and my stomach produces too much Hydrochloric Acid (HCI).MNL:
quote:Mineral oil has no calories...it is not digested...it lubricates and covers the mucosal lining in the colon ..blocking water reabsorption, and passes through in time.
So how does this help with nausea? Or are you speaking of constipation?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:How do they work, and which is better?
There is no good reason to think olive oil could help with IBS-C or motility-related constipation. Mineral oil works the way any non-absorbable oil would, but letting things slide by more easily.I don't see how mineral oil could help with nausea.
quote: The IBS C patient doesn't have the ability to manufacture the Hydrochloric Acid and this is why you need to take an edible acid.
The statement is false.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.

·
Registered
126 Posts
A fact which is very important to remember, when you are thinking of taking mineral oil for constipation, is that it blocks the absorption of vital vitamins and minerals. It is NOT recommended as a laxative by most doctors because of this. Also, because it is a product derived from PETROLEUM, it's purity might be in question.Olive oil is an oil which your body digests and absorbs. The only relationship to taking olive oil for constipation that I know about is that the oil,if taken in a large dose, will stimulate bile secretion which does seem to have a stimulating effect on the colon.Redfern

·
Registered
766 Posts
I had to do a less common prep for my colonoscopy, because golytely made me puke.Part of the prep involved taking castor oil, which has a laxative effect, I guess. I swallowed it ok, but feel nauseus just thinking about it now. And now things like sunflower seed taste in the back of my mouth makes me feel nauseaus...any oils that remind me of that castor oil. So I would be very careful taking oil if you are already feeling pukey!I also had to take sennakot (i think i got that right?) later on, which is what really got things moving. That actually tasted kind of good! A little chocolately.
One more note...I had an oil slick in the toilet, after taking that caster oil! Especially when I was just having D...kinda weird to have all that oil in there!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oooohhh. Sennakot BAAAAAD! It's an irritanat to the colon. I took it once and will NEVER forget the pain! I asked my doc about it and he said it was an irritant, so I stopped taking it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts