Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight i saw a private GI consultant ref my ongoing gastro problems. Really nice chap.Wants to do further tests to check for gastro-paresis.But he agrees with me that it could well be my gall-bladder (i've always suspected this as many of you know).He says that when i see the surgeon he will probably suggest removal....50/50 chance it will resolve my symptoms.It's a chance i'm willing to take. Plus i'll never know unless it's removed i guess.It's been a long old road i've followed for the last 18 months...but i finally have hope that there is light at the end of this very dark tunnel.

·
Community Manager
13,221 Posts
great news, riddick! that was a smart move, seeing a private consultant--good for you. too bad you had to go to all that expense--but it sounds like it was worth it.and yes it has been way too long a road for you...hopefully the surgery will bring you relief. best of luck to you!

·
Prolific Member, iSupportIBS
470 Posts
Tonight i saw a private GI consultant ref my ongoing gastro problems. Really nice chap.Wants to do further tests to check for gastro-paresis.But he agrees with me that it could well be my gall-bladder (i've always suspected this as many of you know).He says that when i see the surgeon he will probably suggest removal....50/50 chance it will resolve my symptoms.It's a chance i'm willing to take. Plus i'll never know unless it's removed i guess.It's been a long old road i've followed for the last 18 months...but i finally have hope that there is light at the end of this very dark tunnel.
Hi Riddick, apologies if I haven't been following your personal story but I am interested in the gallbladder 'theory'. Have you had a HIDA scan with CCK to test your GB and if so what where the results? Also. do you get typical GB disease symptoms i.e. pain under right ribcage which may radiate to the back and shoulders plus other tummy problems e.g. nausea?I am asking because I recently had a HIDA scan which showed no gallstones but an ejection froaction of 38%. GI doc has said that the result is abnormal but my symptoms which are nausea and stomach discomfort but no pain under right rib cage etc do not correlate with GB disease and hence he wouldn't recommend surgery at this stage.Am I correct in assuming that you are in the UK and if so may I ask what doctor you saw please?

·
Registered
38 Posts
HI I am glad you found a good doctor but be really careful and get a second and even 3rd opinion on surgeru. I have not been on this site long but long enough to read about many people who are even worse after surgery. I know someone @ work who is so sorry they had surgery their symptoms are much worse now. don"t mean to be negative but I just want people to be careful Good Luck

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi there.I too have read about folk been worse after surgery. But believe me i am prepared to take surgery as an option after 3 hospital admissions over the last 12 months!The standard cut off point for a dysfunctional GB on HIDA scan with CCK is 35%.....anything under this is considered biliary dyskenesia (malfunctioning gallbladder).In some countries the cut off figure is 40%. My HIDA scan came back at 35% exactly. my NHS consultant said that was normal and discharged me (even tho i had extreme nausea, fluctuating weight and right sided rib discomfort. So i saw a private consultant who was shocked i'd been discharged and immediately referred me to an NHS surgeon ref my gallbladder.A great deal of patients get relief from surgery even if they haven't got classic GB symptoms. I don't have classic symptoms per say...get mild discomfort under right rib-cage, intermittent diarrhoea and absolutely terrible nausea. Sometimes i can be ok for weeks...then BAM!I'd rather not name Dr's on here as i've said somethings they probably won't like at times!The biliary tree is notoriously difficult to diagnose when it is playing up......ERCP is a very risky procedure and medics don't do it lightly (30% chance of pancreatitis post procedure!). Sometimes surgery is offered as one can live quite happily without a gallbladder tho post op symptoms are common

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
tho post op symptoms are common
What post op symptoms are common? Do you have a source to share for that information?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have a source but the info is readily available on the net (just google post-op gallbladder symptoms).Most common one is diahrrhoea (funnily enough!!!!). Quite common but supposedly easily treated with a binding agent.Bile dumping i think it's called. The gallbladder regulates bile release in response to food. When the GB is gone bile trickles directly from the liver to the gut.Most folk get some post-op diahrroea. But this tends to diminish as the body adjusts to how bile is now released.Most folk can after a period of time resume a completely normal diet (incl very fatty meals).

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Riddick I don't know where you got your info but a very small percentage of folks who have their GB's out end up having long D problems afterwards.It occurs in only 10-15% of the cases:http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/192761-overviewSo I would not call that "common". It is what I would term a rare side effect. Most people have no trouble whatsoever after a choly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.