Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think the title makes sense but basically I love cakes, but I can never have them as they have milok etc in them. I used to make blueberry muffins from premade mix but then they started putting milk powerder in the mix rather than just adding milk.Dietitian was no use what so ever when it came to weight gain, she focused on the IBS which wasnt the issue but she also never said anything new on that either.She did however say linseed's are meant to be good at preventing D, even though websites say they may cause it. they are in my bread and are quite tastey so though i could possibly make a linseed muffin.What I really want to find though is a way to make a muffin which is wholey made of things which may help against D but also be as high calorie as possible and wondering if anyone has some ideas on how I can do that. (doesnt need to be a muffin but being a guy I dont have baking stuff except a muffin tray)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well a muffin is basically a quick-bread/cake batter that is poured into muffin tins. Unfortunately, the main ingredients in most muffins are: fats such as butter or oil(usually bad), eggs(usually bad), milk(usually bad), sugar(moderately bad), flour(usually not a problem). So the goal is to replace or reduce those with something else. I don't think you can completely get rid of the fat involved, but bananas or applesauce are good replacements for fats & eggs. You can try different non-dairy milks, such as rice/soy/almond or even just add water & see how it turns out. So if you want to try a recipe, reduce the fat by 1/2 or 2/3rds and replace it with bananas puree or applesauce, then use a non-dairy milk for any milk required. Also maybe try a healthy oil, like flax oil.What you might want to look for are vegan muffin recipes or mixes, there are tons on Google. Here is one that looks pretty good:http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/03/carrot-spice-muffins.html Maybe don't use the carrots and put bananas or applesauce in there instead.As far as something non-muffin, homemade Rice Krispies Treats are pretty simple and the ingredients usually aren't disagreeable with IBS people. High in calories, low in nutritional value, but low in fat too

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If you don't tolerate fat, most recipies you can replace the oil with the same amount of applesauce. When you cook the apples you get rid of the sorbitol which can be a problem in raw apples.http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=50757 is a low fat flax muffin, and you could use almond, rice, or soy milk for the milk (depending on what you tolerate).Most people are OK with oats and if you don't do whole wheat (too much fiber) you could use white flour instead)Flax is another name for linseed (I think I have that right) so flax as a search term may give you more options.

·
Registered
197 Posts
good ideas people thank, yes flax is another term for linseed and im ok with oats. Apples cause me issues I cant get apple juice sweetened soya milk but I have never thought much about cooked vs uncook apples, occasionally have apple crumble as I have 2 apple trees in the garden (from when I didnt know apples were an issue lol)Almond milks sounds interesting, I have never tried it but I love marsipan so might be a very good idea.I eat a lot of sugar but sugar can cause me issues, honey however does not but I dont know how to put honey in without it being big blobs. (dads diabetic so might be an idea cutting out sugar, that way if they are nice might be able to get him to eat them rather than cream cakes which are not good)The flour side of things was something I wanted to ask about, in bread I always have nutty breads which are also wholemeal, I switched to wholemeal bread back in 2000 or there abouts as I thought it would be better for me, I have since totally went off the taste of white bread (which often has milk powder in it too).I went to see the dietitian wshe sad "I presume you already eat white bread rather than wholemeal" and then said try best of both which is the opposite of to what she was suggesting as its the taste of white but with the wholemeal of brown when it should have been taste of brown without the added fiber. Also she said nuts and seeds were bad but I had been told before they were good.I have only ever cooked with white flour but interesting to find out if there is a better idea.I am not a fan of carrots but I think I will try as they are meant to be a veg that shouldnt cause issues, maybe in a muffin they might taste nice.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Well there is a "no nuts or seeds" idea for people with diverticulitis and they do have the problem of being higher in fat than other things so if fat sets you off in general, then it won't help.Whole grain wheat is generally healthier (more fiber and more nutrients) but some people with IBS (especially D) can't handle the insoluble fiber.There is nothing that is universally healthy and good for all people and all health conditions, and a lot of people do find they can tolerate things on the "generally a nono list" for any given disease. There is a lot of variation in people.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trying to find fruits with low or no magnesium, I used to like bananas but they started causing me issues when i was having them each day and I think it was too much magnesium, on bright side looks like blueberrys have lowest magnesium as can get.Anyone know if this logic sounds ....... well logical.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You are on the quest for the golden muffin I guess
. IBS people are very touchy and unique, so I don't think we could come across a Universal IBS Muffin Theory that will agree with all people dealing with IBS. If you were okay with some of the mixes from the store, I'd take a look on the back of the package of one of your old favs and see what's in there, maybe try to find an ingredients list before they added the offending milk products. Then you could maybe go from there as far as ingredients that will probably be okay. Blueberry muffins are good, just watch out for the fat content.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
made my first batch of the carrott muffins, they are really nice but I screwed up making them
they didnt rise and are gunky (couldnt thing of an apt description).Someone who knows how to cook/ bake would do a better job.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the reason was twofold one was rather than using flour, baking soda and baking powerder I just used self raising flour (which should have been fine its all the same stuff)the other one was that for whatever reason the consistancy of the mix was meant to be thick but was a little runny, going to guess too much water but i supstituted 1/3 of a cup of water and 1/4 a cup of apple sauce for 1/2 a cup of water which if anything i thought would be too little wet.of course I could have chucked in extra flour but being a man I screwed up as characteristicGlad you sent me that link though as I may have got the F/C temp wrong and I turned the temp down when i thought it might burn on top but not cooked in the middle when it may have been because I didnt have it hot enough. live and learn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.