Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, let me say hello to everyone. I am new here and glad I found this place where we all share some of the same problems and no one judges anyone. With that being said, let me get to the point of my thread.I have Crohn's and have had an abscess (drained, but still there) as well as a fistula (still there). I have some problems I'm hoping others have experienced and have found solutions for.First, I have some sort of odor/ soreness in the rectum area that comes after long periods of sitting as well as active activities, such as walking or exercising (and also when I sweat). It is embarassing and debilitating because it prevents me from being active. I'd like to get back into being as active as I once was, but this issue is holding me back. I don't know if it is any sort of drainage from the fistula/ abscess during sitting and activities, or what? Any ideas?Second, I have very foul smelling gas...and gas almost all the time. There really isn't ever a time when I don't have to worry about gas throughout the day. I have noticed some foods tend to do it more, such as dairy or meats, but most others do as well to a lesser extent.I don't know anything formal about anything, so I'm sorry I can't be more specific. I have read some threads around here that would sort of relate, but not sure if my problems are the same. Anyone experience anything that I mentioned here and have any ideas/ solutions?Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Some of the normal bacteria in the colon (you see them in healthy people) reduce sulfur from the amino acids in foods like meat and dairy (things with a lot of protein).Some people find Pepto Bismol from 1-8 tablets (up to half the maximum dose per day) will reduce the odor of the gas. They can be a bit constipating (since they are a mild anti-diarrheal) but usually people with crohn's disease tend to diarrhea so that may be helpful.There can be something called Levator Ani syndrome which is a problem with one of the muscles down there. It can hurt more with long periods of sitting, but that shouldn't stop you from being active as standing/walking usually makes that feel better. But it could be from the fistula as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply! As far as the soreness from sitting and activity, it is more like a chapping or sore to the touch type of thing; not a muscle soreness. I should have been more specific on that. Sorry! What happens is when I do physical activity or start to sweat, I think I get a sort of leakage from the abscess and that has an odor to it and then it chaps the skin in the area. Maybe this helps better?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Lone sorry this is happening.. Have you tried any like baby ointment or diaper salve on it?? Those kinds of products are usually gentle and create a moisture resistant barrier so things can heal. Call your Dr and see if they have any other ideas on what you can use.Hope you feel better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts