Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have IBS-C. My predominant symptoms are bloating and constipation. So through my intensive research online, the possibility of why I always feel bloated right after food even with a strict low-fodmap diet is that I have SIBO. So I asked my GI to give me the hydrogen breath test and it turned out to be negative. But thru my research, IBS patient with constipation only produces methane gas. And a third of the SIBO patients only produces methane gas. So I asked my GI to give me a methane breath test.And he said it was not available locally. I tried to search other lab or hospital in PA where I live. I could not find one. I tried to call my insurance company which is pretty useless.

I had a course of xifanxan last September and it worked great. My cobsitipation and bloating were gone for 3 months. And it replaces. And I was back to how I was before I took xifanxan.

The problems are

First, I need to know whether I have SIBO which requires a methane breath test.

And I do not know where I can do it.

Second, I can try Xifanxan again, but if it does not work, should I ask my doctor to give me other antibiotics that treats SIBO ?

Last, even if those antibiotics work, I cant imagine living my life taking antibiotics every few month because I dont think too much antibiotics is good for my body in long term.

I really have tried my best but I am still do not know what to do now.

Can you guys offer some advice?

· Registered
2,191 Posts
I don't know squat about the methane breath test but I have been on and off antibiotics for the last few years, for the treatment of very mild acne (it comes and goes).

I never had a problem with antibiotics, but never took them for IBS. I say if they work for yours? Take 'em! You gotta figure out the pluses and minuses, and go from there.

P.S.

I take this every day, have been for coming up on a year now (click on below link to read):

http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/topic/239065-finally-a-product-i-can-recommend/

· Registered
49 Posts
I was diagnosed with SIBO and had the breath test. From my limited understanding of the test, it should have measured both hydrogen and methane. I cannot believe that your doc could say they don't have the appropriate test. They can simply order it from a lab - it is not an unusual test. Or go to a new GI doc.
I would not ask to be put on an antibiotic unless i knew for sure i had bad bacteria in my intestine.
I took 10 day course of cipro. After, my gas is horrible - like rotten egg factory if I have anything sugary (like honey sauce from the chinese restaurant or fruit). I may have fructose malabsorption, judging from my symptoms. My belly is all messed up.
Whatever you do, make sure to take a low dose probiotic and go low carb if getting treatment for SIBO.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.