Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been dealing with IBS on and off for about 10 years now. The bout I'm currently experiencing is the worst one since the first one I had 10 years ago. EXTREME muscle spasasms is the current worst symptom. For the past week I have had nothing more than saltines and white rice, with some salt, a little margerine added. Today I had some chicken broth made from a boullion cube that stated on the label that it had no MSG added. Well, I'd like to sue this company(Herb Ox) because it obviously does have MSG in it...I learned after the face about the dozen or so other names MSG is hidden under. I do not feel like eating anything, however I forced myself to eat some saltines, about 10 of them, earlier today. I went to Wellspring(Whole Foods southern style) and bought some peppermint oil tabs, ginger root tabs, and Boirons Carb-Veggie tabs. So far I've tried the Peppermint, but just one of course did nothing. I've had two doses of the Boirons with no response. I'm seriously considering going to the Emergency room this evening just because I really don't know what else to do. I have antispasmotics but they aren't making a dent. My abdomen on the right side is especially tight and the feeling goes up under the rib cage a bit. It is seriously more taught than I can make my bicep or calve muscle. Most uncomfortable. So...what would you do in my situation? I don't think anyone could understand this feeling unless they had had IBS before, or were maybe 14 months pregnant. I am male, so I don't know what that feels like, but I can imagine it's a little like this. I guess I should also tell you when this started. Tuesday of last week(6 days ago), I had a Cat Scan for an unrelated(or perhaps it is related) ailment. The barium they had me drink gave me severe diahrea. After this came the cramps and bloat. The Cat scan showed nothing wrong, so I'm fairly sure the feeling I have now is just severe IBS. Tired of reading yet? I'm tired of typing for sure. Please give me any advice you can that might help. Thanks much!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi - Sorry you're having such extreme pain. Since this is a new symptom and seems to have been triggered by your barium exam, I would call your doc and see what he/she suggests. When an IBS attack (if that's what this is, and not something new) hits this hard it can sometimes take a pretty strong painkiller to stop those spasms and let your body get back on track. Your doc may want to see, refer you to the ER or a walk in urgent care clinic, or phone in a prescription for something like oxycodone to take for just a day or two.I'd keep up with the peppermint capsules and also try really strong, hot peppermint tea. It's a muscle relaxant so it might help.Hope you're feeling better soon.Best,Heather

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'll stick with the Peppermint for a bit. Luckily I just happened to have some Peppermint tea. I have no earthly idea when I bought that. As far as calling my doc, I don't see much he can do but tell me to go to the ER. I have Vicodin and Ultracet already, but I can't take either anymore. Why? Because they make my stomach feel like it does now, especially on an empty stomach. I was really looking for perhaps some nutritional recommendations from you when I get through this current ####. What to eat, and what to really avoid besides evil MSG that I stumbled upon myself already. Thanks for your quick reply!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi - Sorry the drugs don't seem to be an option. For dietary info on what to eat when it seems like you just can't eat anything, check here web page There are specific foods listed there and also links to recipes for safe foods.Make sure you're sticking to just soluble fiber staples right now - check here for a list web page and stick to the foods towards the top of the list to be extra safe. Please let me know how things go. You might actually add in some Altoids mints - chew on several of those every hour or so. Peppermint can really be a wonder drug - I find it more effective than anti-spasmodics for relieving IBS cramps and pain. For the tea, brew it super strong and drink it very hot. You can also add external heat, from a hot pack or heating pad. Heat's a good muscle relaxant and the pain you're having is from muscle spasms, so anything that will stop that cramping will help.Best,Heather

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again Heather! I'm thinking about getting one of your books. Since I've had IBS for 10 years now, your THE FIRST YEAR might be redundant for me. Is your other book just a bunch of recipes, or does it go into the same easy detail that THE FIRST YEAR does?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi - I wish the First Year IBS had a different title. It's my publisher's choice, not mine, because it isn't just for people who are newly diagnosed. It covers everything about IBS, from research to options for helping symptoms (diet, drugs, stress management, alternative therapies, etc.). You can actually get a ton of info from the book at the website http://www.firstyearibs.com. Eating for IBS has a dietary focus, with detailed info on how diet can manage IBS, and then 175 recipes. There's a ton of info at that website too - http://www.eatingforibs.com. You could actually post on the bulletin board for the diet at http://www.ibsboards.com and ask what other people found most helpful, if they found First Year more applicable than Eating for IBS, etc.Best,Heather

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.