Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
I'm glad to hear someone else has the same problem as me ! I suffered an agonising 4 years at uni, sitting through lectures terrified about my stomach making noises and embarassing me. I used to try not to eat but then it rumbled through hunger which was just as bad ! I used to get really worried if I couldn't sit by the door and if other people sat on either side of me. When I left uni I thought great, no more lectures to contend with ! Unfortunately my discomfort continues as now I have to go to meetings as part of my job. Now I get anxious about that, so much so that I start worrying about it days before the meeting is actually scheduled. Now I have the additional problem that I have to keep running to the loo all the time, so I worry about whether I will have to leave the room in the middle of the meeting. I hate situations where I am with other people in a quiet room, or if I have to eat with others with no background noise or music. How people can enjoy candle lit suppers is beyond me !Rest assured - you are not alone !

· Registered
18 Posts
I'm glad to hear someone else has the same problem as me ! I suffered an agonising 4 years at uni, sitting through lectures terrified about my stomach making noises and embarassing me. I used to try not to eat but then it rumbled through hunger which was just as bad ! I used to get really worried if I couldn't sit by the door and if other people sat on either side of me. When I left uni I thought great, no more lectures to contend with ! Unfortunately my discomfort continues as now I have to go to meetings as part of my job. Now I get anxious about that, so much so that I start worrying about it days before the meeting is actually scheduled. Now I have the additional problem that I have to keep running to the loo all the time, so I worry about whether I will have to leave the room in the middle of the meeting. I hate situations where I am with other people in a quiet room, or if I have to eat with others with no background noise or music. How people can enjoy candle lit suppers is beyond me !Rest assured - you are not alone !

· Registered
18 Posts
Me too ! this thing makes me uncomfortable around most people, so being in intimate situations is even worse. I'm so relieved to hear I'm not the only one with this problem.It sounds like you have a really helpful doctor (not !). If I gave up every food that upset my stomach I'd be living on fresh air by now. These days I can't seem to eat anything. My doctor prescibed Colpermine but it didn't seem to do anything and the more anxious I get about the ibs, the worse the symptoms become. It's a very vicious circle !

· Registered
18 Posts
Me too ! this thing makes me uncomfortable around most people, so being in intimate situations is even worse. I'm so relieved to hear I'm not the only one with this problem.It sounds like you have a really helpful doctor (not !). If I gave up every food that upset my stomach I'd be living on fresh air by now. These days I can't seem to eat anything. My doctor prescibed Colpermine but it didn't seem to do anything and the more anxious I get about the ibs, the worse the symptoms become. It's a very vicious circle !

· Registered
18 Posts
I've now become resigned to the fact that I have to take immodium every day so I can lead some sort of a normal life. The noises are not always so bad when I take it and of course it means I don't have to run to the toilet quite as often. I know my symptoms are caused by anxiety and when I don't take immodium my anxiety is ten times worse because I worry about having an attack. I'm sure that 'normal' peoples' stomachs make noises from time to time. Perhaps we are just being too hard on ourselves. Probably no one cares anyway, I mean if I sat next to someone with a gurgling stomach I wouldn't care. I wish I could stop being so hypersensitive about my symptoms.

· Registered
18 Posts
I've now become resigned to the fact that I have to take immodium every day so I can lead some sort of a normal life. The noises are not always so bad when I take it and of course it means I don't have to run to the toilet quite as often. I know my symptoms are caused by anxiety and when I don't take immodium my anxiety is ten times worse because I worry about having an attack. I'm sure that 'normal' peoples' stomachs make noises from time to time. Perhaps we are just being too hard on ourselves. Probably no one cares anyway, I mean if I sat next to someone with a gurgling stomach I wouldn't care. I wish I could stop being so hypersensitive about my symptoms.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.