Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Sounds a lot like me my friend. I'm a 26 year old male and not being able to sleep is my #1 problem.HAve you been worked up for things other than IBS? Your friend mentioned wheat allergies. This is can be tested for with a simple blood test to see if you have antibodies against wheat proteins (gluten, and gliadin). And if you haven't been checked out for inflammatory bowel disease you should be in my oppinion. this involes a two step process, first they check for blood in your stool (stool sample), and they may check the lining of your colon using endoscopy. I imagine like most people this is what you are afraid of with the IBS workup. I'm a 26 year old male, and I know that it sounds pretty bad, but its not after you get through the prepping procedure, which you should do ALONE. If you have particular anxiety about it, don't be afriad to tell your doctor. It is really not a big deal for them to give you a valium an hour or two before the appointment and it helps a lot. Even if you don't have blood in your stool you can still have atypical forms of inflammatory bowel disease such as lymphocytic colitis, which isn't unheard of in our age group - endoscopy is the only way to really find this. Also, I'm not sure of your ethinicity, but if you are white (I am) our age is extremely likely to have lactose intolerance, which can be very cryptic. (surprisingly not drinking milk doesn't stop it - you may have to stop for a month to see a difference). To test for this your doctor can do a hydrogen breath test, where they give you radioactive lactose to drink (this is safe), and then you breathe into a bag. By timing how long it takes your body to metabolize the suge to radioactive hydrogen they can tell if you are metabolizing it or the bacteria in your gut are. This is another really easy test.There are a LOT of particular problems with being a young man with IBS, and it can be very embarrasing. You are totally not alone though, there are millions (yes millions) of us out there like you.CMC

· Registered
24 Posts
Sounds a lot like me my friend. I'm a 26 year old male and not being able to sleep is my #1 problem.HAve you been worked up for things other than IBS? Your friend mentioned wheat allergies. This is can be tested for with a simple blood test to see if you have antibodies against wheat proteins (gluten, and gliadin). And if you haven't been checked out for inflammatory bowel disease you should be in my oppinion. this involes a two step process, first they check for blood in your stool (stool sample), and they may check the lining of your colon using endoscopy. I imagine like most people this is what you are afraid of with the IBS workup. I'm a 26 year old male, and I know that it sounds pretty bad, but its not after you get through the prepping procedure, which you should do ALONE. If you have particular anxiety about it, don't be afriad to tell your doctor. It is really not a big deal for them to give you a valium an hour or two before the appointment and it helps a lot. Even if you don't have blood in your stool you can still have atypical forms of inflammatory bowel disease such as lymphocytic colitis, which isn't unheard of in our age group - endoscopy is the only way to really find this. Also, I'm not sure of your ethinicity, but if you are white (I am) our age is extremely likely to have lactose intolerance, which can be very cryptic. (surprisingly not drinking milk doesn't stop it - you may have to stop for a month to see a difference). To test for this your doctor can do a hydrogen breath test, where they give you radioactive lactose to drink (this is safe), and then you breathe into a bag. By timing how long it takes your body to metabolize the suge to radioactive hydrogen they can tell if you are metabolizing it or the bacteria in your gut are. This is another really easy test.There are a LOT of particular problems with being a young man with IBS, and it can be very embarrasing. You are totally not alone though, there are millions (yes millions) of us out there like you.CMC

· Registered
24 Posts
I definately think you may want to visit another doc, I don't think that the first one really gave you the attention you deserve.On a side note, wiat till you get married. Not only can I not sleep, but my stomache makes enough noise to keep my wife awake. LOLLucky for me she's very supportive.CMC

· Registered
24 Posts
I definately think you may want to visit another doc, I don't think that the first one really gave you the attention you deserve.On a side note, wiat till you get married. Not only can I not sleep, but my stomache makes enough noise to keep my wife awake. LOLLucky for me she's very supportive.CMC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.