Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

need advice

936 views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  simon2004 
#1 ·
Hi all,im a 21 year old male, just finished my studies at university. I've been dealing with symptons of IBS for quite a while now, but its effecting my social life badly. I realise that everyone gets different symptons, and I am really embarrassed about the symptons I have. I really need advice.These past weeks I haven't been sleeping well because I've been getting those "gurgling noises" in my lower abdomen. They really are driving me insane. In the morning i normally go to the toilet but never feel satisfied (sorry about crudeness), and cos I am in a rush and get really nervous, I would have to go again. When i was studying, I would get really nervous because I didn't want people to hear those "gurgling Noises", yet by being nervous, it was triggering off the noises. I find that when i eat lunch/dinner, the noises comes back, and take around an hour for them to stop, but feel really bloated or I would have to go the toilet again. Im nervous to be in a silent room, cos I know people can hear those awful "gurgling" spasm type noises, so gave an excuse that i am closterophobic (can't spell), and always sat on the side of the lecture hall.I am too afraid to eat, cos the noises and spasms are really uncomfortable, and people are noticing my weight loss. Are there any certain foods to avoid? My friend says maybe Wheat, but everything has wheat and unknown to any substitutes for breakfast, lunch or dinner.I know now that nerves are a contributer to IBS. I've tried taking BACH Remedy, and I am on Colpermine (prescribed by my doctor), but they dont seem to keep me relaxed or help with IBS. My docs haven't really helped as they just prescribed pills, and didn't offer any information about how to deal with IBS, until i read this website. So everything is quite new to me.I know I have gone on and on about this, but I've asked for advice from doctor, I've asked helped by therapists, but Nothing has improved. Im open to any help? Any help will be appreciated cos now I know that i am not alone. Thanx for your time!iiox

See less See more
#3 ·
iio, Many of us have been helped by Dr. Dahlman. His site is www.drdahlman.com Check it out, read his protocol and see what you think. If you'd like to see what he's about, check out the Product and services part of this BB. I had gurgling noises going on during college too. I found that foods high in fat were making it worse. Maybe try some soluble fiber before you eat. Like saltine crackers or something.Good luck. Keep reading, there are a lot of good ideas here.

#2 ·
iio, Many of us have been helped by Dr. Dahlman. His site is www.drdahlman.com Check it out, read his protocol and see what you think. If you'd like to see what he's about, check out the Product and services part of this BB. I had gurgling noises going on during college too. I found that foods high in fat were making it worse. Maybe try some soluble fiber before you eat. Like saltine crackers or something.Good luck. Keep reading, there are a lot of good ideas here.

#8 ·
One thing I remember about college was staying up late studying and drinking tons and tons of pop, which ultimately led me to discover I had IBS. Do you drink caffienated pop or coffee/tea? If so you might want to try drinking caffeine-free varieties of these drinks. Caffeine is my number one enemy.

#9 ·
One thing I remember about college was staying up late studying and drinking tons and tons of pop, which ultimately led me to discover I had IBS. Do you drink caffienated pop or coffee/tea? If so you might want to try drinking caffeine-free varieties of these drinks. Caffeine is my number one enemy.

#10 ·
Sounds a lot like me my friend. I'm a 26 year old male and not being able to sleep is my #1 problem.HAve you been worked up for things other than IBS? Your friend mentioned wheat allergies. This is can be tested for with a simple blood test to see if you have antibodies against wheat proteins (gluten, and gliadin). And if you haven't been checked out for inflammatory bowel disease you should be in my oppinion. this involes a two step process, first they check for blood in your stool (stool sample), and they may check the lining of your colon using endoscopy. I imagine like most people this is what you are afraid of with the IBS workup. I'm a 26 year old male, and I know that it sounds pretty bad, but its not after you get through the prepping procedure, which you should do ALONE. If you have particular anxiety about it, don't be afriad to tell your doctor. It is really not a big deal for them to give you a valium an hour or two before the appointment and it helps a lot. Even if you don't have blood in your stool you can still have atypical forms of inflammatory bowel disease such as lymphocytic colitis, which isn't unheard of in our age group - endoscopy is the only way to really find this. Also, I'm not sure of your ethinicity, but if you are white (I am) our age is extremely likely to have lactose intolerance, which can be very cryptic. (surprisingly not drinking milk doesn't stop it - you may have to stop for a month to see a difference). To test for this your doctor can do a hydrogen breath test, where they give you radioactive lactose to drink (this is safe), and then you breathe into a bag. By timing how long it takes your body to metabolize the suge to radioactive hydrogen they can tell if you are metabolizing it or the bacteria in your gut are. This is another really easy test.There are a LOT of particular problems with being a young man with IBS, and it can be very embarrasing. You are totally not alone though, there are millions (yes millions) of us out there like you.CMC

#11 ·
Sounds a lot like me my friend. I'm a 26 year old male and not being able to sleep is my #1 problem.HAve you been worked up for things other than IBS? Your friend mentioned wheat allergies. This is can be tested for with a simple blood test to see if you have antibodies against wheat proteins (gluten, and gliadin). And if you haven't been checked out for inflammatory bowel disease you should be in my oppinion. this involes a two step process, first they check for blood in your stool (stool sample), and they may check the lining of your colon using endoscopy. I imagine like most people this is what you are afraid of with the IBS workup. I'm a 26 year old male, and I know that it sounds pretty bad, but its not after you get through the prepping procedure, which you should do ALONE. If you have particular anxiety about it, don't be afriad to tell your doctor. It is really not a big deal for them to give you a valium an hour or two before the appointment and it helps a lot. Even if you don't have blood in your stool you can still have atypical forms of inflammatory bowel disease such as lymphocytic colitis, which isn't unheard of in our age group - endoscopy is the only way to really find this. Also, I'm not sure of your ethinicity, but if you are white (I am) our age is extremely likely to have lactose intolerance, which can be very cryptic. (surprisingly not drinking milk doesn't stop it - you may have to stop for a month to see a difference). To test for this your doctor can do a hydrogen breath test, where they give you radioactive lactose to drink (this is safe), and then you breathe into a bag. By timing how long it takes your body to metabolize the suge to radioactive hydrogen they can tell if you are metabolizing it or the bacteria in your gut are. This is another really easy test.There are a LOT of particular problems with being a young man with IBS, and it can be very embarrasing. You are totally not alone though, there are millions (yes millions) of us out there like you.CMC

#15 ·
I'm glad to hear someone else has the same problem as me ! I suffered an agonising 4 years at uni, sitting through lectures terrified about my stomach making noises and embarassing me. I used to try not to eat but then it rumbled through hunger which was just as bad ! I used to get really worried if I couldn't sit by the door and if other people sat on either side of me. When I left uni I thought great, no more lectures to contend with ! Unfortunately my discomfort continues as now I have to go to meetings as part of my job. Now I get anxious about that, so much so that I start worrying about it days before the meeting is actually scheduled. Now I have the additional problem that I have to keep running to the loo all the time, so I worry about whether I will have to leave the room in the middle of the meeting. I hate situations where I am with other people in a quiet room, or if I have to eat with others with no background noise or music. How people can enjoy candle lit suppers is beyond me !Rest assured - you are not alone !

#14 ·
I'm glad to hear someone else has the same problem as me ! I suffered an agonising 4 years at uni, sitting through lectures terrified about my stomach making noises and embarassing me. I used to try not to eat but then it rumbled through hunger which was just as bad ! I used to get really worried if I couldn't sit by the door and if other people sat on either side of me. When I left uni I thought great, no more lectures to contend with ! Unfortunately my discomfort continues as now I have to go to meetings as part of my job. Now I get anxious about that, so much so that I start worrying about it days before the meeting is actually scheduled. Now I have the additional problem that I have to keep running to the loo all the time, so I worry about whether I will have to leave the room in the middle of the meeting. I hate situations where I am with other people in a quiet room, or if I have to eat with others with no background noise or music. How people can enjoy candle lit suppers is beyond me !Rest assured - you are not alone !

#16 ·
Pain in the gut - I do find when i drink Caffeine Im more nervous, so I have given up tea/coffee, and basically testing to see if thats one of the contributers to IBS. - thanksI have been to the doctor to test for Inflammable Bowel Syndrome, they took blood samples from me, and said that my antibodies were fine. Then doc just said "the patient is the best to know what they can eat and what they can't!" I was like "is that it!" lolRosie - Oh my gosh, thats exactly the problems I have. I always need music in the background when im with company or having dinner. The most worried aspect which I've put on hault is getting intimate. Cos i get worried that the noises will start, which therefore makes me nervous. Could thing alcohol relaxes me a little - lol

#17 ·
Pain in the gut - I do find when i drink Caffeine Im more nervous, so I have given up tea/coffee, and basically testing to see if thats one of the contributers to IBS. - thanksI have been to the doctor to test for Inflammable Bowel Syndrome, they took blood samples from me, and said that my antibodies were fine. Then doc just said "the patient is the best to know what they can eat and what they can't!" I was like "is that it!" lolRosie - Oh my gosh, thats exactly the problems I have. I always need music in the background when im with company or having dinner. The most worried aspect which I've put on hault is getting intimate. Cos i get worried that the noises will start, which therefore makes me nervous. Could thing alcohol relaxes me a little - lol

#19 ·
Me too ! this thing makes me uncomfortable around most people, so being in intimate situations is even worse. I'm so relieved to hear I'm not the only one with this problem.It sounds like you have a really helpful doctor (not !). If I gave up every food that upset my stomach I'd be living on fresh air by now. These days I can't seem to eat anything. My doctor prescibed Colpermine but it didn't seem to do anything and the more anxious I get about the ibs, the worse the symptoms become. It's a very vicious circle !

#18 ·
Me too ! this thing makes me uncomfortable around most people, so being in intimate situations is even worse. I'm so relieved to hear I'm not the only one with this problem.It sounds like you have a really helpful doctor (not !). If I gave up every food that upset my stomach I'd be living on fresh air by now. These days I can't seem to eat anything. My doctor prescibed Colpermine but it didn't seem to do anything and the more anxious I get about the ibs, the worse the symptoms become. It's a very vicious circle !

#21 ·
I definately think you may want to visit another doc, I don't think that the first one really gave you the attention you deserve.On a side note, wiat till you get married. Not only can I not sleep, but my stomache makes enough noise to keep my wife awake. LOLLucky for me she's very supportive.CMC

#20 ·
I definately think you may want to visit another doc, I don't think that the first one really gave you the attention you deserve.On a side note, wiat till you get married. Not only can I not sleep, but my stomache makes enough noise to keep my wife awake. LOLLucky for me she's very supportive.CMC

#23 ·
Oh my Gosh, Rosie i am just like you. Im so glad there is someone who feels the same. I've been testing to see if certain foods trigger off these noises. I notice that caffeine makes me mega nervous, so i've stopped all together. Im just testing out wheat and bread. But we'll see. Will definatley study those sites everyone has suggested, and I am definitley going to a different doctor, cos quite frankly my doctor SUX! lol Anymore feedback will be gratefulThank you all!iio

#22 ·
Oh my Gosh, Rosie i am just like you. Im so glad there is someone who feels the same. I've been testing to see if certain foods trigger off these noises. I notice that caffeine makes me mega nervous, so i've stopped all together. Im just testing out wheat and bread. But we'll see. Will definatley study those sites everyone has suggested, and I am definitley going to a different doctor, cos quite frankly my doctor SUX! lol Anymore feedback will be gratefulThank you all!iio

#24 ·
I've now become resigned to the fact that I have to take immodium every day so I can lead some sort of a normal life. The noises are not always so bad when I take it and of course it means I don't have to run to the toilet quite as often. I know my symptoms are caused by anxiety and when I don't take immodium my anxiety is ten times worse because I worry about having an attack. I'm sure that 'normal' peoples' stomachs make noises from time to time. Perhaps we are just being too hard on ourselves. Probably no one cares anyway, I mean if I sat next to someone with a gurgling stomach I wouldn't care. I wish I could stop being so hypersensitive about my symptoms.

#25 ·
I've now become resigned to the fact that I have to take immodium every day so I can lead some sort of a normal life. The noises are not always so bad when I take it and of course it means I don't have to run to the toilet quite as often. I know my symptoms are caused by anxiety and when I don't take immodium my anxiety is ten times worse because I worry about having an attack. I'm sure that 'normal' peoples' stomachs make noises from time to time. Perhaps we are just being too hard on ourselves. Probably no one cares anyway, I mean if I sat next to someone with a gurgling stomach I wouldn't care. I wish I could stop being so hypersensitive about my symptoms.

#26 ·
try a digestive enzyme before eating check with a health store there help to break down the foods further requiring less work for your stomach. Also diet is important the heavier a person is the more taxing ibs can be on the system. I lost 60 pounds and quit eating greasy food (pizza, mcd's) and the symptoms dropped to half the occurences and drink more water this is the cleanser.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.