Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,Does anyone know a great gastroenterologist in Virginia (Northern VA or Charlottesville)? I am dealing with severe constipation and no prescription or over the counter drugs have helped. They only make me feel works and like I will vomit. I am looking for someone who will listen to my situation and help me determine how to relieve myself of backed up waste. Thank you. Good luck to all. Dana.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello,Does anyone know a great gastroenterologist in Virginia (Northern VA or Charlottesville)? I am dealing with severe constipation and no prescription or over the counter drugs have helped. They only make me feel works and like I will vomit. I am looking for someone who will listen to my situation and help me determine how to relieve myself of backed up waste. Thank you. Good luck to all. Dana.
Dr. Felix Ma in Leesburg is great. He isn't a gastroenterologist, but he is very skilled in dealing with digestive issues...

G

·
Hi Dana,I am also dealing with severe chronic constipation which I have struggled with since I was a baby, but has gotten much worse in recent years. I bounced around from Doctor to Doctor, GI to GI and no one could offer any help or diagnosis, they didn't even run tests on me. I finally found a GI who listened to me but told me there wasn't much she could do to help. She did a colonoscopy on me and then referred me to The University of North Carolina's Gastroenterology clinic. I had my first appointment there today and instead of leaving the office in tears like I usually do, I left feeling that there was hope. They seemed to know A LOT about GI issues and motility and already have me scheduled for tests in January.The reason I'm telling you this is because if you can get access to a larger teaching hospital with a gastroenterology clinic or department, they will really be able to work with you in terms of better technology and a better understanding of your issues. I have heard good things about the GI division at the University of Virginia. You usually need a referral to get in, and you could probably get your regular primary care doctor or if you have seen a GI and they haven't been able to help you, they might refer you there if you ask about it. Many times GI doctors can send you to get tests done but from what I experienced today, at a large teaching hospital they have everything they need and all of the people they need, all there in once place so they don't have to send you all over the place to have tests run.This is just my opinion - but here is the link so you can poke around on the website and get more information:http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/medicine/divisions/digestive-health/division-of-gastroenterology-hepatology.htmlYou should ultimately go wherever you feel the most comfortable, and if you feel your needs are not being met with other doctors, keep pushing until you find someone who does listen...it took me so long to find those people but they are out there. I still don't know what is wrong with me but at least they are taking the steps to help me find out, instead of telling me to eat more fiber and exercise! Ha, if that worked I would have been fine a LONG time ago!I hope this helps you some,Alisha

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi Dana and Alisha,I live in Atlanta, so I don't have any suggestions, but I askthat you both please share with us what you find out and whatthe doctor says. I've been to so many doctors and just wouldlike to know what others find helpful after they find a good doctor.Alisha - how wonderful to hear you've finally found a good place.That is great news. Good luck. thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts