Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been eating a breakfast cereal every morning called GO LEAN. It is a fiber cereal and works very well to help control my D (bulks up the stool) however, I have been eating it for months every morning and I am beginning to get tired of it. Does anyone know if stuff like Citricel or some other form of fiber or even a fiber pill would do the same thing?Any help will be greatly appreciated. I would love to eat something else for breakfast soon. Atleast once in a while
Jleigh

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
There are other high fiber cereals out there too. Raisin Bran is one I like. I would think Citrucel would also work although it's actually far lower in fiber than these cereals are. nancy

·
Registered
11 Posts
jleigh,Hi,Permit me to tell you what I do concerning fiber. As I'm sure you know, we are supposed to get 25-30 grams of fiber a day. Good luck getting that much in our diet. That leaves Fiber Supplements. I'm not trying to sell you anything, but I have had great success with a product called Colon Formula from Life Plus. One serving supplies 13 grams of high quality fiber from six different fiber sources. It also supports total colon health. In a nut shell, no other product compares, in my opinion. Here is the link where you can learn more about it.http://www.lifeplus.com/products/nnu_cat_c...p?N=Paul+C%2E+G raffagnino&C=184504&I=0&P=551479[/URL]

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lubner,Yes, it does contain soy. On the box it says "Good source of protein-8g (6.5g from soy)".Paul, I will check out the site you gave me.Thanks3/4 cup of Go Lean provides 40% of the fiber we need. I always had trouble with worse D (if it can get worse) when I ate much fiber but for some reason this cereal helps me. It also helps my mom who has trouble with C ( she's never been diagnosed with IBS though).Anyway, I just wanted some alternative that I could use on days I didn't feel like eating the cereal that would do as good a job as the cereal.Jleigh

·
Registered
127 Posts
Benefiber is relatively new. It looks like sugar and can be put in coffee, tea, on cereal. I've never used it, but i have only heard of it. It is relatively tasteless

·
Registered
22 Posts
How 'bout oatmeal? It contains fiber and is very easy on the GI tract. From my research, the powder supplements--Metamucil and Citracel--seem to work better than the pill form. Metamucil can take a while to get used to. Unfortunately, doctors often fail to tell you that you should add fiber supplements slowly to avoid gas and bloating. (i.e., 1 tsp am and 1 tsp pm at first and increase by another tsp the following week etc. until you're taking two tablespoons a day.) Good luck!

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all so much for the suggestions and info. I am going to research and give some of this stuff a try. Problem is I have D not C so some fiber (like that of oatmeal) gives me D. I love oatmeal but it does not love me. Go figure...Thanks again.Jleigh

1 - 10 of 10 Posts