Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.I am 43 and the mom of 6. I have Hashimoto's and some allergy issues, but otherwise, I am pretty healthy.A few years ago, I got really sick on New Years. I had one glass of champagne and I had made all of the food. For a very long time, I thought the problem was eggs. My youngest ds has food allergies so that was where my brain went. He has IgE allergies (life threatening) and I just thought perhaps mine were more an intolerance. After awhile, I would see that I had eaten foods that didn't have eggs in them and have problems. I was so puzzled and could not figure out what was going on. Then I could have the same meal and one time be fine and another time be dreadfully sick. Here is what has been going on...Sometimes, I have more constipation. For a long time, I would think I was hypothyroid, but if I was tested around that period, I would test withing range. I have learned to be careful when I start having an easier time going. I can normally eat anything, but if I eat very rich foods or very processed foods, I can get very sick during the normal stage. If I get sick, then I just have to deal until things settle down again and then I can eat normally. When I get sick, sometimes there is urgency and I have been sitting on the toilet feeling so nauseated that I'd grab the trash can, but I have never thrown up. Sometimes, I will moan in pain (but I only let myself do this at home). I will have diarrhea in this stage. If my dh takes me out, I have to be careful. I can eat at Carrabba's, but I can't have dessert or coffee or else I will be searching out bathrooms. If I am in the constipation stage, I do fine eating anything. But once things begin to change, I have to watch it.Sometimes during bms, my lower left side hurts terribly. Sometimes I get shaky after a bout of d. When I have my period, I usually have d (but this has happened my entire life so I don't know if it is pertinent). I went to my parents for three weeks to help them prepare for a move to a retirement facility. Thankfully, while I was there, I did pretty well. Usually strange food sets me off. The only time I had problems was when their church had a potluck. But when I returned home, I was exhausted and things have been strange ever since. I don't know what to eat. I am trying to be careful. I have had huge bulky movements so I think I will soon be scurrying to the bathroom.Through all of this, I have googled some. I talked to some people. And I have wondered about IBS. But I am afraid. I am not sure I want to go through expensive testing to rule scary things out. Is it worth it? Is it helpful? Is it a frustrating process? I just don't know if stress-wise I can handle it. I have pressures of things at home and my parents I am worrying about. I just don't know if adding a parade of doctors is what I really want to do right now. I don't want to go somewhere and say "Hey, I think I have IBS. Can you do a zillion tests on me?" I am trying to manage it. The pain bothers me. I don't want to tell anyone about the pain. It scares me, too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.