Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had severe IBS for 2 and a half years. I went for my blood letting and got some bad results, 16,000 white blood cell count and my liver is all messed up. My GI doc is sending me for more tests, second time around. I'm in another very small IBS group, and another woman is going through the same things. She's getting all the tests done again too. Can anyone here shed some light on this subject? My docter sent me in for more blood tests but results are not in yet.Thanks All,Patty

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
High white blood cell count is usually an infection.Liver function tests can be high from a number of things. Liver disease, medications you are on, maybe even whatever is causing the white blood cell count to be high..Hard to say. Neither test is all that specific, and with liver function tests I do not know if which enzymes in the blood were elevated makes a difference, or how high they have to be above normal before they are a real concern.If the doctor isn't answering your questions you may need to try to spend more time with them, or find a better way of getting the info you need out of them.A lot of short term things can cause funky blood test results, so for a lot of things they want to see the abnormal number more than once, and/or need to do a bunch of follow ups before they really know what is going on.K.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Many virisus cause liver enzymes to go up, you really need to get to the bottom of it. I found out 3 years ago I have Hepatitis C through some routine blood work. The tests showed an elavated liver enzyme count, so they tested for anti-bodies, that came back positive, to be for sure they ran a quanatative study to determine how much of the virus I had, also know as a viral load. I don't want to alarm you because many things can cause the elavation, even having a few drinks the night before or certain medications. What exactly did he say was wrong with your liver???

·
Registered
381 Posts
In my experiece with elevated liver function tests I have found that anything more than 2 to three times above normal are cause for further investigation. Usually they will do the routine hepatitis panels for infectious, autoimmune and genetic causes, they will look to see if you have any kind of obstruction, mass that inteferes with the biliary tree, etc. If the tests are not that elevated, they will do a repeat in a couple of months and do that for up to a year. If they remain elevated or flucutate they then may suggest a liver biopsy.But it is hard to be specific in your case, I am just writing about generalities. The high WBC alone, is an indication that further tests have to be done.Laurie

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for your input. They did test me for hepititus right away, and I didn't have it. OH Boy, if I took a drink you know how bac my stomach would hurt? YEOWWWWWWWW I am having another ultral sound, and they took more blood. My GI doc said it looked like an alcohol liver. NOT. I tried to get results from my blood tests yesterday, but they were just too busy. Trying again today. Thanks again all!!!Patty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.