Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have been off the board for sometime now just living and putting up with my bloating problems, because I have a more serious problem and its not for me this time but I have no idea what to do and I have ALWAYS received excellent advice from all of you, well here goes. My husband has been VERY DEPRESSED lately about his weight problem, he has tried EVERYTHING practical to lose weight like cut down, excercise(which he still does) the carbo addicts diet(which he lost 12 lbs. then he just stopped losing anymore weight from the diet??? He gained all this weight from when he quit smoking, which I DO NOT want him to start again so instead he is taking these ephadrine plus pills which I AM NOT HAPPY about but he can find no over way to combat his tiredness from 3rd. shift and his hunger cravings to eat often. So I am LOST as how to help him lose weight without having a heart attack or something else bad happen. Well thank you for taking your time to read this, I appreciate ANY advice. Thanks again, Cindy

G

·
Hi CS,I have been struggling with a weight gain from quiting smoking too. Mine has been on going for several years. My problem is I get depressed, like your husband, and then eat too much or the wrong things like that big bag of salt and vinegar chips last weekend. Bad Bad me!He should see a Dr. and get his blood checked for Thyroid and diabeties, etc. If he is healthy than all can feel better. His Dr. should be able to give him some good suggestions and some direction. Does he lift weights? They say that the more muscle you have the more calories you burn. Is he working out enough and doing the right excerise? Maybe talking to a person that could give him an excersice program would be helpful. I don't see a problem with using natural medicians but there is no quick fix. I sure wish there was!It sure is easy to give suggestions opposed to actually following them. That is my biggest problem. I know what I need to do and what I should do but just don't seem to get there. Motivation is not a strong point for me. My husband has helped me with this. He keeps me motivated. With his help getting me to the gym, etc., I have lost 20 lbs in the last year. Good luck,HJ

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Exercise is the only thing that I know of that really works to increase your energy. It does take awhile to kick in but you will notice it. Even if it is just a walk every night or every morning, it is a start. Once you gain weight, you tend to get out of shape too and then it is really hard to get the weight off.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I agree with Nicol exercise is the only way. I have lost 55 pounds with proper diet & exercise and I do know how hard it is. For a start does he exercise alone? Bad idea it's too easy to skip it. Why dont YOU go & work out with him or find a buddy who will. Make it a regular routine 3 or 4 times a week. You need at least 4 times to start & 3 to maintain. Walking is good but unless you walk an awful long ways it will take a long time to loose. You need a cardio like jogging, aorobics classes, squash, something that would get him moving. Then work on the diet, all you need it to get rid of all the junk food and have healthy snacks but reward him with a favorite "bad" food once a week or so or he wont stick to it. It's not so much what it is it's how much it is that way he wont feel deprived. I hope this helps you & he can go & have a succesful weight loss. One more thing dont do the weird diet, just stick to normal food. Variety & moderation is the key! Trust me I'm proof!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.