Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i am suffering from ibs from last 8 years but my main problem is incomplete bowel movement but i am not constipated and it taking more time to clear stools like 1 hour but last year it was not taking such long time. i need to go daily 2 times to clear stools, when i feel incomplete bowel then i feel bloating,discomport , right now i am not taking any treatment for ibs, please suggest me, thank you

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
so sorry you are having problems with this. it's so uncomfortable and frustrating, isn't it.

if you are having trouble with incomplete bowel movements and keep feeling like you need to go all day, you could have pelvic floor dysfunction. with pfd, the pelvic floor muscles do not coordinate and/or relax properly to allow easy passage of stool. ineffective pelvic floor muscle coordination results in inadequate relaxation of the pelvic floor while attempting to have a BM. the puborectalis muscle tightens and contracts when it is supposed to relax to allow passage of stool. so you can't get it all out (incomplete) and keep having that "have to go " feeling all day.

pelvic floor dysfunction is a problem that both men and women can have.

a defecatory proctogram test will show if you have pfd as well as reveal if you have any other outlet problems like a rectal prolapse, etc. an anal manometry also helps diagnose pelvic floor problems.

biofeedback and physical therapy can be effective in correcting pfd.

also elevating your feet on something like a footstool, shoe box, overturned waste bin etc while sitting on a toilet can help straighten out the anorectal angle and allow for a more complete evacuation. so can using a squatty potty. it might take some experimentation to find the right height for you.

you might want to talk to your gastroenterologist about pelvic floor dysfunction and ask to get tested for it. here is a good link explaining it
all:

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases_conditions/hic_pelvic_floor_dysfunction

good luck with everything. i hope you can find some relief.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts