Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Hi tryingtocope.What are Mike's tapes? My story is that I, too, have smelly flatus and is a social embarrassment. I did try cutting out grains like grain breads, grain pasta, grain noodles, etc. and that helped to eliminate my gas, but it comes back when I go back to my regular diet. I have read that early man did not include grains in the diet, and that grains were introduced into man's diet I think it was about 15k years ago. I have also read that one does not need grains. However, I have also read that man does need grains, so I don't know the real answer. I don't want to deprive my body and then realize it when it's too late if that could be the case. By the way, I believe the no grain diet is called the Paleolithic (sp?) diet. I got on the diet in the first place because my GI was to give me a breath test of some sort to test the bacteria in my gut. He (his asst) gave me a meal plan to follow which included eggs, canadian bacon and steamed asparagus for breakfast - delish. At some point previously, I also decided to try a gluten free diet. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy to do - just eat mostly whole foods and instead of eating wheat bread, eat breads without wheat, or if you're at a restaurant, eat tortilla chips or baked potatoes instead of bread. I tried going without gluten for a month, and got cravings for bread, so I found some wheat free chocolate cake mix from wh*le foods and mixed it up and cooked it. It was very good! I would eat it even now. Lastly, one of the grains I tried when gluten-free was quinoa (pronounced keen-wah). However, that bothered me worse than wheat (terrible gas, so be aware that it could cause this even though everyone is different), so I don't think wheat by itself is the problem.Hi hadenuff29.You wrote that you've been on the same diet...to what diet are you referring?Thanks.

· Registered
10 Posts
You should try Digestive Advantage for irritable bowel syndrome and Sustenex probionic, watch what you eat, carbs, onions, sauces, salads will trigger this type of syndrome. Hope it helps, may lessen the irritability.

· Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

I have been suffering from IBS for as long as I can remember. It is awful but I am really getting depressed about the constant gas. I don't really get bloating but gas all day it seems that no matter what I eat its the same. It hinders my social life and I really want it to stop. I have been taking citricil fiber, a probiotic with digestive enzymes and peppermint tea at night. I read about Shiffs Digestive Health gas relief formula. I'm really hoping it will work. I've read many good reviews on it. Hope it makes a difference!! Gas is so annoying and embarrassing
sleep.png

Please write with anything that has helped you. Thanks!!

· Registered
1 Posts
oh my gosh...

I'm so glad I found this forum....but am so sorry others have to deal with the same situation

I will be 72 this year...

I have suffered from extreme farting for close to 50 years now...

it has lead to me being anti-social and isolated so as not to embarrass myself

everything I eat or drink...including water...is an invitation to a fart-fest...

I've even tried doing without food for days at a time....all to no avail...

being around anyone is an absolute agony

and I stink....as in...a rank odor that lingers for hours....literally

anyone....anyone...please....if you know of any herbs or teas or something that will alleviate - nay - eliminate - the problem please let me know

heartfelt thanks and good wishes to all..........kate

· Registered
16 Posts
I have IBS-D and my gas is a continuous problem. Sometimes I get days when I don't suffer and then days when it's fairly continuous on and off through the day. I work in an office and must say I find the things my body 'does to me' completely humiliating and socially isolating - so complete sympathy to everyone suffering.

Things I've tried that have helped perhaps?:

Reducing amount of fructose (and generally following FodMap type diet)

Reducing amount of sugar

Reducing amount of lactose

Digestive Enzymes

Not putting too much stress on my digestive system (e.g. avoiding overeating and reducing alcohol, not eating stressed/too quickly, drinking lots of fluid with food, avoiding raw foods)

Probiotics - I took one called L Plantarum by Quest - thought it was somewhat helpful.

Next steps:

Going to try a Comprehensive Stool Analysis - see if that throws up anything. (To do this I had to stop taking my probiotics, and must say I noticed my diarrhoea got worse and perhaps my gas too?). I'm also going to give that new Probiotic a go - Symprove - see what that does.

Good luck to you all!

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi Tina,

I totally understand what you are going through, but one question I would like to ask is what is your diet like? I had an IGG test done a few years back because I had severe acid reflex, bloating, gas and felt so anxious and panic attacks

it was bad. When I got the test back I had severe candida yeast over growth that was making me allergic to a lot of the foods I was eating. I can not eat any gluten, dairy or sugar and I'am highly allergic to brewers yeast and bakers yeast. My doctor has put me on a very expensive pro-biotic and told me not to eat any of the things we had talked about. If you drink milk stop, change to almond milk or coconut milk, stay away from sugars especially that stuff makes the bad yeast grow strong and cause gas, same with breads and cookies and all that carby stuff. Eat a clean diet. Primal body primal mind is a good book to read to help you get on the road to recovery. I felt good when I went on this diet but then I got lazy and started to eat garbage and now I'm going through alot of sickness due to my diet. Now i'm back to cleaning it up again and hopefully you can to. If you would like to read up on over growth of yeast check out Great Plains Laboratory.com and sign up with the site, you can join the webinars to learn more and be the first to hear about scientific research. Hope this helps :)

· Registered
715 Posts
There's a lot to be said for a primal diet, especially as a test diet over the first few days. Most things that cause gas are starches (flours of all types), the high fodmap veges that you can't properly digest and constipating foods like rice can cause a lot of gas too if you don't fully evacuate. It saves a lot of time to just assume you're allergic to everything for a couple of days and have a really lean, spartan diet - so no grains, wheat, flours, high starch foods, milk, high FODMAPS, or constipating foods like rice. It feels strange eating salad for breakfast but you don't have to continue this forever, it's just a test to see if your gas is reduced and whether it aids a quicker evacuation. If it does, then you'll know diet is the answer and you can gradually add more foods. If you're sure you can't tolerate raw salad veges like tomato, lettuce and cucumber I'd try porridge oats as these are fairly gentle on the system. Lunch is more salad with cheese & egg. Dinner meat/fish with mashed potato & pumpkin, sweet potato, bok choy and a banana (all low FODMAP foods). You'll feel hungry when you don't have grains but this is partly psychological. If your symptoms are reduced then you'll know you're on the right track. A lot of the constant gas is from incomplete evacuation though, so make it a rule never to get up until you feel finished (or at least keep going back). This isn't a lifetime diet, it's just a base diet to see if your symptoms improve.

· Registered
9 Posts
I've had excessive gas for 7 years now. Its horrible and it completely turned me into a depressed & introverted person. I barely leave my house anymore. Its literally made my life a living hell. So many people have treated me like I'm nothing but vermin because of my problem. I'm still trying to recover from the verbal abuse I've recieved from others. I do have a little hope now because about a month ago I tried a parasite cleanse and I think its really helping me. I used to have gas all day every few minutes and now since the cleanse I barely have any at all. Its only been a few weeks but I do feel a lot healthier now and I hope that the gas stays away. I would recommend anyone having excessive gas to just try a parasite cleanse. I hope everyone gets better and if anyone wants to talk or has any questions feel free to message me.

· Registered
1 Posts
A well decontracted digestive tract could ease even reduce farting. I explain this process in my book Dyspepsia and IBS for the Wise http://dispepsiaandibs.com Air in the stomac combined with spasms and cramps, pressure the bowel. Digestive process then slow with give time to gazeous bacterias to produce gaz with the food swallowed. The solution : a combination of deep breathing, relaxation and... systematic burping. Getting rid of air in the stomac will alleviate and improve all the digestive process. By speeding up the digestive process much less gaz will be produced by the bowel. Amazingly enough managing air in the stomac reduce by much farting. Farting itself is good too since it alleviate the pressure around the stomac. I do practice daily my exercises and I experience a systematic improvement of my digestion and reducing all other symptoms I will suffer if I neglect my exercises since 20 years : headache, insomnia, cramps, nausea, constipation/diarrhoa, etc.

Good luck,

Larry

· Registered
4 Posts
I've had excessive gas for 7 years now. Its horrible and it completely turned me into a depressed & introverted person. I barely leave my house anymore. Its literally made my life a living hell. So many people have treated me like I'm nothing but vermin because of my problem. I'm still trying to recover from the verbal abuse I've recieved from others. I do have a little hope now because about a month ago I tried a parasite cleanse and I think its really helping me. I used to have gas all day every few minutes and now since the cleanse I barely have any at all. Its only been a few weeks but I do feel a lot healthier now and I hope that the gas stays away. I would recommend anyone having excessive gas to just try a parasite cleanse. I hope everyone gets better and if anyone wants to talk or has any questions feel free to message me.
Hello jjane14

I would like to know which parasite cleanse you used ?

Thank you

· Registered
9 Posts
Hello jjane14

I would like to know which parasite cleanse you used ?

Thank you
Hey no problem its called '13 parasite cleanse 13' and its a 10 day cleanse. The ingredients of the cleanse are organic herbs. The first three days are really hard because you can really only eat like homemade soup and vegetables. But for the rest of the cleanse you can eat more things but absolutely no meat. You can find out info about the creator and cleanse at healthyself360.com. If you have anymore questions or want someone to talk to feel free to message me.

· Registered
5 Posts
I have episodes were my flatus gas gets to the point where I am going to the toilet every 20 minutes. It is the most foul smell that turns my stomach. My family has all passed away and I would like to be married but I am really scared that it would end badly because of this. I cannot pinpoint what triggers these episodes and my relief comes by completely emptying my colon (like colonoscopy prep). Frequently I get intense migraines that coincide withthe gas. I'm not sure if it's possible but it seems like the gas is getting in my bloodstream. A doctor told me there is no connection but when it happens simultaneously time after time you tend to put 2 and 2 together. The only thing that touches the migraine pain is Sumatriptan. I plan to have some tests done for SIBO. Hopefully I can find on this board some answers to better manage this.

good wishes to all

· Registered
10 Posts
Hey no problem its called '13 parasite cleanse 13' and its a 10 day cleanse. The ingredients of the cleanse are organic herbs. The first three days are really hard because you can really only eat like homemade soup and vegetables. But for the rest of the cleanse you can eat more things but absolutely no meat. You can find out info about the creator and cleanse at healthyself360.com. If you have anymore questions or want someone to talk to feel free to message me.
I remember suffering from a lot of flatulence several years ago, and it just went with the wind (no pun intended), but last year I suffered from it for an entire month, and I didn't alter anything in my diet, but it's great to read that someone has found a way to reduce it.
cool.png

· Registered
9 Posts
I remember suffering from a lot of flatulence several years ago, and it just went with the wind (no pun intended), but last year I suffered from it for an entire month, and I didn't alter anything in my diet, but it's great to read that someone has found a way to reduce it.
cool.png
I was so relieved after taking the cleanse. Its the only thing that has helped me so far. :)

· Registered
1 Posts
Im not usually big on forums, but I am hoping sharing my experience could help someone on here, as I know now how terrible it is to suffer from gas!

Few months ago I suffered from what seemed at the time as a stomach bug - diarrhea, stomach cramps and bloating with terrible flatulence. However, few days later all the symptoms were gone apart from extreme gas, that just wouldn't go away. I tried over the counter medicines, tried altering my diet, until I stopped eating completely for few days as I was feeling so bloated, only having a small yogurt once a day. Gas was as persistent as ever.

A friend of mine is studying to be a doctor, and she suggested I might be lactose intolerant and that I try to eliminate lactose from my diet. I was skeptical, as I've not had any problems with lactose before (I am in my 20's) and didn't believe I could become lactose intolerant so suddenly. However, I was so desperate at the time I was willing to try anything.

So I've stopped eating dairy products completely, and magically I started to feel better after a couple of days, and even better after couple of weeks! It does take time to see a full effect, as your gut is clearing itself from lactose you've consumed gradually, but I saw some improvement after few days alrerady.

Now I continue to avoid lactose and feel back to normal, no gas or stomach problems! It is hard to stay away from lactose though, as it is in so many products and the diet had to change dramatically.

Having done some reading on the topic, I've discovered that lactose intolerance often is a side effect of a physical/ or bacterial trauma to the intestine (can be regular food poisoning, parasite, bacterial infection etc), which means that people that never had it before can suddenly become lactose intolerant. Now sometimes it is temporary, but it rare cases can be permanent.

Last week I went to see the doctor as I believe the very beginning of my illness I suffered from either bacterial infection or parasites, that inflamed my intestine and gave me the intolerance as a result, so I wanted to have tests done to make sure I don't still have the bacteria/parasite. The doctor confirmed my theory and said it is very common for people to become lactose intolerant after a stomach infection, and advised I make sure I avoid all sorts of lactose (even little traces you find in pastries/ some breads/ chocolate etc) for 6 weeks, in order to let my intestine recover, and then I should slowly reintroduce it back into my diet to see if I can tolerate it again. Also, he suggested I do a stool test to make sure I don't have parasites/bacteria in my gut, which I am getting done next week.

Sorry for the long post, but I do really hope it helps someone out there. If you haven't tried eliminating lactose from of your diet, and are suffering from extreme gas/ bloated stomach, cramps, diarrhea etc then please just try it, you might be as surprised as I was!

· Registered
1 Posts
Thanks to everyone who takes the time to write in this forum. It has helped me many times over the years. Replying to June 93142, I've tried the apple cider vinegar (1 to 2 teaspoons in a small glass of water), and it seemed to help. I will continue to try it, though I will try to find ways to incorporate it in my food, rather than drinking it in water. I'm also wondering if anyone has tried charcoal tablets for gas? I got some and now hesitate to use them. Always afraid of causing more IBS problems. The IBS-D symptoms are better for me right now, but this excessive gas after eating is a new and distressing problem. Any help is appreciated.

· Registered
1 Posts
hey all, been having it for over 20 years :D no pain no diarreia, sometimes maybe constipation, but most of all gas gas gas, and all the time, I am so tired, and I discovered in my case it comes not from beans and not from the usual bread and milk, but from vegetables and fruits. I been vegan for a year! thats why I know that, didnt know it, cause I ate all :) so I read a lot and discovered those probiotics and tried to eat the yoghurt twice a day, it helped, but dairy! Did you try those collon probioticum capsules? I read that are the same bacterium cause they are added to yoghurt, grown in labor bacteriums, bifidobacterus, but mostly I guess it is much to do with stress too, so maybe try both, balancing diet and meditation, relax, breath :) I have a story here https://experiencelife.com/success-stories/2012/12/05/how-i-healed-my-irritable-bowel-syndrome-and-am-helping-others-do-the-same/ see ya

21 - 40 of 46 Posts