Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

My first time on this site. Quick background--60 year old male--active and outwardly healthy.

6 months ago--June 2013--started getting loose stools and 3-4 bm in morning, Few months later--cramps started to arrive in morning--but would be gone by noon--everything fine rest of day.

Last 3 months--most morning-cramps at 7am, 3-4 loose bm's (little pain relief), cramps start at groin and sometimes move slowly to my left and up towards left side of rib cage.

Tried buscopan for pain--helps but get very tired, Dicetel-3X100mg-on this for 2 weeks--helping???

Tried FODMAP diet--results???--maybe I did not follow exactly or long enough.

Now looking at Fructose Malabsorption elimination diet--will start tomorrow.

Any advice, suggestions, similarities etc from anyone would be greatly appreciated

IainT

·
Registered
425 Posts
Let me try to help.

First off, read Linda's Calcium thread.

Second, do a search here for Immodium.

Third, do a search here for psyllium (metamucil) and/or Citrucel.

Fourth, if you drink coffee, STOP.

Get rid of any "roughage" in your diet until you can control BM's. You can reintroduce some later, slowly - once you have control.

Be prepared to hang in when you are trying something. For me, I give each thing at least a two month trial before scrapping them. Also, many tings that work well will at first make you feel worse. Psyllium is awesome, but be prepared to backfire like a Howitzer until you adjust to it - and start off with very small doses.

Try to relax.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Colt

Thankyou for the info in your post. Interesting read--Linda's Calcium thread--looked at other info on calcium--did not know about its affect on D. Right now the fructose malabsorption diet seems to be helping a great deal. Very lttle fibre in it and no coffee for the past few days. Best few days I have had in 3-4 months. Right now I am encouraged and will continue with eating like I am--very little roughage. Will introduce very slowly if all is quiet for a couple of weeks.

Again--thankyou for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate your words

bye for now

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hi Colt

Thankyou for the info in your post. Interesting read--Linda's Calcium thread--looked at other info on calcium--did not know about its affect on D. Right now the fructose malabsorption diet seems to be helping a great deal. Very lttle fibre in it and no coffee for the past few days. Best few days I have had in 3-4 months. Right now I am encouraged and will continue with eating like I am--very little roughage. Will introduce very slowly if all is quiet for a couple of weeks.

Again--thankyou for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate your words

bye for now
You are welcome.....but please return the favor. If you find something that works and you are feeling well, please don't forget to let us know. So many people find things that help, then leave the board and leave us hanging.

Make sure to take a lot of time before introducing anything to your diet. For me, it takes at least two months to determine whether something works or not. Don't be in a hurry to add roughage, it can hit hard - especially if you have not had much of it recently.

Best of luck and keep us updated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts