Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!I’m new here and I need some help because IBS is ruining my life. I’ve been suffering with IBS-D for 7 years. I started seeing symptoms during my first pregnancy.I’ve tried almost everything I can think of to get help including:• having a colonoscopy• taking medication to counteract the stomach cramps• seeing a gastroenterologist• going on special diet to not upset my GI tract• going long periods of time with not eating• using immodium on a daily basis• seeing a psychologist to determine whether this is psychosomaticNothing has helped.Sorry, if I’m being graphic, but I guess I have to be to describe this accurately. Sometimes I’ll have diarrhea and sometimes the consistency is soft or even normal, but what happens is that I will have such a sudden urge to go to the bathroom that if I don’t have a bathroom available IMMEDIATELY , I will spoil my pants. It happens so fast…I just can’t hold myself. These accidents have happened to me enumerable times and it is so devastatingly embarrassing. I keep a plastic bag and toilet paper with me everywhere I go in case I have to go and I can’t get to a bathroom fast enough.I’m getting to the point that I can’t cope with it anymore. I feel like my mind is playing tricks on me sometimes, because when I go somewhere I get nervous that I’m going to need to go to the bathroom and because I’m nervous it actually causes me to go. It’s a viscous cycle. I’ve started to think that maybe I need to be on anti-depressants or medication for stress and anxiety, maybe they would help me…I don’t know.My job requires me to be in the position (from time to time) where I don’t have access to a bathroom or sometimes I’m stuck being in the car with my colleagues (because I have to do client on-site visits). When I'm in that situation I panic, I sweat, I feel claustrophobic, like I need to escape. I love my job and I don’t want to leave it, but I’m faced with the reality that I can’t do it anymore. If I leave my job, I might not find another one like it and I might not be able to make the money I used to make and if that happens I might have to sell my house.The stress that I go through everyday is killing me, I cry about it a lot and I pray that God would lift this from me, but nothing helps and I’m still in this horrible situation.Any suggestions?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think you'll find that you're not alone in dealing with the issues you're having, specifically the urgency. There are numerous different meds you can try to try and get this under control....or atleast manageable. Lots of people seem to be having success with questran, calcium, and antidepressants, or anxiety meds. If you search through all the posts, you'll find ALOT of info of what people are trying. I can totally relate to your post, as if I wrote it myself. It is a viscous cycle! Hypnotherapy for Ibs (cd's created just for this exact thing) is something you might want to try. Its helped lots of people........or cognitive therapy, if it really is a mind over matter thing. I don't think you'll find ONE thing that's helping everyone......I think its more trial and error. Myself, I do take immodium whenever I know I'll need to be away for hours at a time. I start the night before by taking a couple, then in the morning a couple more. Seems to help for the next couple days. I also take ativan when I'm feeling really nervous abous travelling....................and I started paxil a month ago...Ive had some good days thinking its really helping and then some bad days to. I'm going to stick with it for a while to see if it really will make a difference. I have a docotr appt tomorrow with my gastro....will see what he has to say about anything new out there that could help.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi there-same thing with me although my symptoms started immediately post delivery. Have you had a rectal ultrasound or ano-manometr? Did you have forceps or a prolonged second stage delivery-if so this might have contributed to your urgency. You are right-it is a vicious circle and very difficult to manage. I'm trying to throw everything at the problem at the moment-imodium, buscopan, calcium, seroxat, and digestive enzymes. I really hope you find something that helps. You just have to keep trying different things - let us know if/when you find that magic pill for you!oh-forgot to say-kegel exercises +++

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Hi Mamma and welcome - you are NOT alone - and your story is very similar to mine - I frequently post here that I raised my kids thru the bathroom door - after going thru so many meds, I had come to the end of my rope - like you. I begged my gastro to give me a nutritional IV so I would not have to eat again - he told me to search the internet as he had exhausted his arsenal of meds for me. You can read my story below - I came to this BB in 2000 looking for answers just like you - You can take Imodium as mentioned - sometimes it helped me - othertimes the IBS just over-rode it - all the RX meds lost their effectiveness over time if they worked at first - Do consider hypnotherapy as part of your tools to get you through this - the IBS Audio Program is the one most discussed on this BB and it has helped many here - if it were not helpful to most folks who try it, the feedback would not be as overwhelmingly positive as it has been - it is not a cure, and not for everyone, but certainly worth a shot - and it is a one time cost with free support if you need it.Everyone has to find their own way - I have had IBS since 1983, so I do know the desparation you are feeling.You can also call 877-898-2539 for more info if you need it.We are all here to help - all the best to you in your journey to feeling better - take care.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.