Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any good probiotic - something that has worked for them.I am going to be on erythromycin 3x per day for motility but am afraid it will effect the bacteria in my intestines. I would really appreciate any advice recommendations regarding a good probiotic.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks K, I really appreciate the info.Do you know how large the GNC tablets are? I have a problem swallowing pills. I would think that they would make it in a capsule because so many people needing this kind of supplement usually can have multiple digestive and absorption problems (Unfortunately I am one of them)I have been using the Jarro one for years but I dont think its done anything for me ...Thanks again

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get so confused, they say that the probiotics should not be broken down in the stomach otherwise they may not reach the intestines as the stomach acid will destroy the bacteria, so chewable tabs seem a bit strange. I have heard the best are enteric coated caps but I dont know if its just a sales thing or what.The chewalbes would be great but they are so expensive - wouldnt the saliva also destroy the bacteria? It could be a type of strain that is resistant to stomach acids. Do you know much about this. Are there any "things" one should be aware of for effectiveness? It is said that refrigerated one's are the only effective one's - its really difficult to determine which to use. I'm so sorry, I do tend to get a bit (a lot) over analytical!!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I think some of the "hard fast rules" of what makes a good probitoic are mostly marketing.I've not seen that make much difference for me. I think much depends on how a company prepares the bacteria. Also, they do manage to get in there all by themselves without human intervention, so I think that the spores may be resistant enough for some of them to make it on their own through the GI tract.

·
Registered
35 Posts
2BTrue--you're right about probiotics being needed in the gut, not in the stomach. Some people swear by yogurt, but like you said that doesn't make much sense to me--that, or chewable acidophilus. I've used Jarrow brands without noticeable IBS improvement but it's a good idea after antibiotics. Healthy Trinity is a well known but very expensive brand. If you have a Whole Foods or Vitamin Shoppe accessible, ask the people there for their input.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much for your feedback.I will look into Trinity, I havent heard of it and will do some research.I have eaten yogurt as pretty much my main source of diet because I am unalbe to prepare food and it doesnt cost much. Since I have been sick I have had 3 yogurtt a day every single day for 7 years - I love it!! Dont think its done much for my pain or stomach though.I would look up Trinity Thanks again.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone heard of Garden of Life Probiotics? They sound good but have a pretty aggressive marketing thing going on so one wonders whether the product is good or the marketing.I have always found word of mouth to be the best but am also aware that we're all different and respond differently to the same thing.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jld,Wow, thanks for that info, I'm really glad you found that info and I appreciate you passing it onto me. It does make one questions about products on the market though.Thanks again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.