Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. My husband is interviewing for a sales job in upstate New York and we currently live in Raleigh, North Carolina. Ever since he told me about the threat of a move I have been very stressed just thinking of all the things that will have to be done and all the new changes of moving to a new area. We have two children: one that needs a new Kindergarten and one that will need daycare. I'll have to quit my part-time job, leave my good friends who understand my IBS, get a new MD to help treat my IBS (what if he/she won't give me Xanax?)...etc, etc. My parents live in upstate NY, so we will already have more of a support network than we have here, but I am still so worried about everything! I have IBS-D and stress and lack of routine are big triggers for me. I have already called my MD to get refills on my Xanax and I always have Imodium on hand, but I can't live on these two meds for the next 6 months, so I'm turning to you experienced IBS'ers for help. I thrive on routine and that will be turned upside-down during the next couple months. What works for you? How do you "talk yourself down" from the stress and worry? I go from "OK, I can handle this" to "Omigosh! How am I ever going to get through this??!!" Any pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!!!Thanks,Mary Beth

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Mary Beth: I understand your anxiety about moving away from everything that is familiar to you. I moved from New York to Los Angeles to be with my then-boyfriend, now husband. I left everything and everyone behind - a great job, family, friends and came here where I knew no one except the person I had moved 3,000 miles to be with. Let's look at the positives of your move. I would think that you will find a wealth of information and great doctors in New York - I'm sure you will find a great MD/Gastro Doc. You may have to interview lots of them but I promise you, you will find one - and he might have more solutions to your existing symptoms. Once your medical records are transferred, I doubt if you will have any problem getting refills on your prescriptio for Xanax. Not sure where you mean by upstate New York - I have a friend in New City, New York who also has IBS and takes Xanax. I can always get you a referral if you are in the same area. How nice that you will have family close by - that's a huge plus. Yes, it will be very hectic but being busy will probably help keep your mind off the anxiety. Everything you mentioned - finding schools for your kids, doctors, making friends -- it's all a part of the change but I have no doubt it can also be a wonderful thing for you. Keep up with an exercise/relaxation program and try to look at the plus side of your move. I have made wonderful friends and also enjoy seeing my "forever buddies" from home when I travel to see them or they come for a visit.Best wishes and stay healthy!Christine

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Christine, thanks for the encouragement! How long did it take you to adjust to your new location? Did you have trouble with your IBS, or did the rest of the relocation stuff really take your mind off of it? If he gets the job, it would be in Syracuse, New York, so I guess traveling 6 hours for a GI doc would be a bit excessive...even for me!
Thanks for the thought, though.Maybe as the time approaches, I'll become more used to the idea because right now all I think of is what has to be done. I give you alot of credit for moving 3,000 miles and giving up all that you did for your significant other! Good for you! Maybe I'll have a success story too??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Marybeth: Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I didn't have real bad IBS symptoms at the time I moved - they were very occasional, maybe once or twice a year, so I didn't obsess/worry about the "what if's" like I do now. However, any kind of change will have some kind of affect on your system. As long as keep up a positive outlook and keep coming back to us on the board for support, I'm sure you'll do fine! Let me know how you're doing -- Christine

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.