Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found this board. I'm getting desperate now. I have had diagnosed IBS since 1997 and have been absolutely miserable since then. I have D type and lots and lots of abdominal pain and cramping all the time. This spell has lasted about 3 weeks now with pain to some degree all day. I was put on Lotronex but couldn't continue because it caused such constipation and discomfort. I take Imodium whenever I have to leave the house, but you just can't live on the stuff. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi retiree, and welcome to the Board. I don't often have D myself, but when I do I take the Immodium. Caltrate Plus, a calcium supplement, is being taken by a lot of people with D and they say it really helps to firm up the stool.Hopefully some of the D people can give you more suggestions. Has your doc ever given you an anti-spasmodic? They can help reduce the spasms and lessen your pain.I hope this helps somewhat. JeanG

·
Registered
103 Posts
Although you dont tell your age, I am 63 and have had IBS for over 30 years that was off and on again, but for the past several years I have had it regularily. Had gall bladder removed about 5 years ago and it came back with a vengence and eversince then its been hell. About a year ago I started using Imodium Advance and it has helped tremendously. My 2 doctors said I can take it indefinately so I do. I make it a part of my daily regieme. Takeing Caltrate also and once in a while Metamucile. I find these 3 things help me a lot. Dont worry about over taking Imodium, I dont think you can OD on it or I would have OD long ago. Hope you can find some relief.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
I have been taking the Caltrate calcium supplement for more than 2 years with great success. If you have questions on it let me know I am glad to help. Check out the calcium success story thread and let me know email is best so I can help you.Linda

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the help. Dorothea: I am 58 and a retired secretary. IBS is really getting in the way of my life, as I know it does to everyone afflicted with it. I do take a lot of Imodium, which helps with the D but not the cramps, which are almost constant and very strong. Guess I am going to have to go back to my doctor. Lnape: Will try and find that thread you were talking about. My email is gcereghin###hotmail.com. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I have 3 young grandchildren (1, 2, and 3 yrs old) who I babysit a lot, and having this pain makes it so difficult to enjoy them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.