Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
katz,Call around to a variety of hypnotherapists in your area. Ask if they treat IBS patients, and question them thoroughly. Make sure they know more about IBS than you do. That will be the trick.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
G

·
Taken from an old email, hope it helpsQ: How Long have you been practicing?Reason: Ask this question, because no matter how good a training school is, the experience in the field is also agreat teacher. I personally would not allow anyone who had not practiced full time for a minimum of 2 years totreat IBS. Why ? Simply because it is a complex complaint, and there is no such thing as a typical IBS patient,so experience in the subject as well as hypnosis is needed.Q: Where did you train, and for how long ?Reason: There are many training organisations, some offer postal correspondence courses(!), several weekendstraining and some months or years. I do not understand how a thing like hypnosis can be taught through thepost, when it took me nearly 3 years plus an additional 12 months in service training. The same for weekend courses. If a therapist says it took them 2 years, for example, then find out if it was part time training, or fulltime. Also ask about the school that they trained with. There are many wonderfully impressive soundingorganisations that sound good, but offer little. Don�t be afraid to ask questions about the college or school, andthen make enquiries about it.Q: Who are you insured with ?Reason: All therapists should have adequate insurance cover. In reality hypnosis is so safe and gentle itsmoney for old rope for the insurance companies, but valuable all the same, just in case!Q: Can I see your insurance certificate ?Reason: They should have it at hand. If they don�t have it close by when you ask - be warned!Q: Can you help sufferers with IBS?Reason: Ask the question. If they can�t then don�t waste your time, if they say they will try it, move away,find someone else.Q: Please explain what I IBS is to me?Reason: IBS is a functional digestive disorder with multiple symptomatolgy.Symptoms vary, there is no atypical client. Ask them to name 8 symptoms - if they know their stuff, they shouldeasily be able to do this. If they don�t ask you if you have been examined and diagnosed by your doctor, thendon�t use them. IBS cannot be self diagnosed, the therapist should know that. Ask the therapist what the threevariations of IBS are ( D - Functional Diarrhoea, C: Spastic Colon or Constipation, PFMD - Primary ForgutMotility Disorder - which is an alteration between C & D )Q: How many sessions will it take?Reason: You need to know this to help you budget. IBS should be improving after 2 sessions and bemuch better by 5. Weekly sessions should not be taken, since the subconscious mind has to learn the newprocesses of education.Q: How much will it cost ?Reason: Obvious question. In the UK I receive patients that are paid for by their doctor as well as privatepatients. This varies throughout the country. And I expect State to State. As a rule of thumb, be cautious aboutparting with money up front.Q: Where do the sessions take place ?Reason: Do they have their own surgery, or is it their home or yours? Never be afraid to take someonewith you. Also always have someone in the house if you invite people to your home. Most people are decenttypes, but you can never be sure.Q: How Long are the sessions ?Reason: Session can last from 1 hour to 2 hours. I always try and deal with the session in the allotted hour.Q: Do I have to pay any money up front ?Reason: See above. Why should you?Q: Do you receive an audio tape of the session?Reason: Simply because you know that the process will be speeded up if you are given an audio tape ofthe session you have just taken. While pre-recorded tapes are all well and good, they rarely reflect the sessionyou will have just taken. Even if the quality is not brilliant and there are background noises, your subconsciouswill recognise them and this will add to your comfort level.Q: What are your success rates with IBSReason: You need to know that the money you spend, time and effort you take, that you stand a goodchance of success.Q: Do you have letters from past clients that I can see?Reason: At least it will show that he/she has helped others in the past.Q: Do they offer a Pre-Session Consultation and at what cost.Reason: All clients are different. How do they propose to gather information about you, and be preparedfor you if this is not done. Some therapists offer free first consultations, other don�t. Remember nothing is free,so don�t go for the first offer.Questions to ask yourself:Did you feel comfortable with the Hypnotherapist ?Were all your questions answered to your satisfaction ?What was your instinct about the therapist ?Is there easy parking spaces. ?Is parking free. ?Are the premises easily accessible ?Are the premises neat & tidy ?While you were talking to the Hypnotherapist- were you distracted or was the therapist interrupted. ?Was the building relatively quite - you don�t need distractions when having therapy.Ask around - do your friends know of any therapists.Can your doctor recommend a Hypnotherapist ?Finally - if you feel comfortable with it all then consider going ahead. If not, find another and start all overagain! After all, its your time and your money, and your health.Costs for Hypnotherapy treatment can vary massivelyPlease email TimeLineServices###compuserve.com if you require any further information. If you require detailsabout the audio tapes, please enter Audio Tapes in the subject line.RegardsMike

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.