Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,I found this forum when I googled a sleeping med that a clinic gave me.This past year has been very stressful (divorce caused by infidelity [not mine], job change, move and death (family and pets.) I don't have health insurance but found a low cost clinic. I told the NP that I've been having a lot of stomach problems. I've dealt with constipation for years. Once I figured out that I have hypothyroidism, and got treated for that the constipation got better. I don't think it is 100% better. I now have pain, bloating, cramps, and diarrhea. Sometimes the diarrhea is so bad, I can hardly control it. The NP said it sounds like IBS to her. I've read here that IBS is diagnosed with other conditions are ruled out. Since I don't have health insurance, and no $ to pay for the tests myself, I was hoping to find info on things I can do to help me feel better.I know everyone is different, but are some general guidelines I can try? Solutions that apply to most people? Thanks so much. My tummy hurts again.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Well Imodium is a common thing to treat the diarrhea, and it is over the counter and generics are available.Peppermint tea or I use Altoids (in the candy and gum aisle) can ease the cramping.Some people do well with fiber or yogurt so you could try those as well.If you are losing weight out of proportion to what you eat, or have bloody diarrhea you need to get more help than you can get with home remedies.K.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not losing weight and no bloody diarrhea. It just seems like most everything I eat causes cramping. I haven't noticed a pattern as to what causes the diarrhea. I've started to take an anti-depressant to help with stress reduction. This year has been bad enough and now this...

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The antidepressant may help with the IBS pain, it does for some people.Try taking the peppermint tea or altoids 20-30 minutes before a meal. That can calm things down so you don't cramp so much afterward.If they want to try you on something you can get a prescription antispasmodic that are mostly generics and pretty cheap. The prescription ones are often given the way I suggested trying the peppermint.K.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Not sure where you are located, but just had levsin (hyocoscamine) filled yesterday. Without an rx card, it would have been $5.99 for 30 pills.It is an antispasmodic, and could help if you take it before your meals.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.